What are some good product to use for individual braids or twists?

blueberry2118blueberry2118 Registered Users Posts: 145 Curl Neophyte
I want to to individual braids or twists on my hair. I wanted to know what are some good products at doing this style. thanx :)

Also what are some good tips and technique at doing them too?

Comments

• JahNaturalDezignJahNaturalDezign Registered Users Posts: 1,160
    I think this is a good method:

YouTube - Rope Twists vs. Two Strand Twists- My Method

I haven't done twist or braids as a style yet but when I do a twist out I have noticed Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles and Qhemet Biologics Amla Olive Heavy Cream made some nice neat and shiny twists. I told myself when I have the patience to do mini twists or something like that I'd use one of the two.
  • CocoTCocoT Registered Users Posts: 5,330
    My favorite twist product combo so far is Qhemet Biologics burdock root butter cream (or the AOHC) and honeybush tea soft gel. Soft and bouncy twists. I do the regular twist method and mine turn out fine. I have thick coarse hair though so my twists don't have a problem holding their shape, especially with product.

I also like to twist with Oyin shine and define with coconut oil. I find the S&D more moisturizing (and less flaky) when I mix it with coconut oil.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • dearheart15dearheart15 Registered Users Posts: 177
    I like to use koils by nature butter/gel combo for twists. I also get good results with the Shea Moisture curling smoothie and Curls Whipped Cream.
    last perm ~ late May 2009
    BC'd ~ July 1, 2009
    fotki ~ last updated 2/2011
  • CocoTCocoT Registered Users Posts: 5,330
    I like to use koils by nature butter/gel combo for twists. I also get good results with the Shea Moisture curling smoothie and Curls Whipped Cream.
    I liked the KBN butter and gel for twist's and twist outs especially....until she changed the formulas :( . The old gel gave me the most defined twist out EVER. Owell. I have Qhemet :)
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • blueberry2118blueberry2118 Registered Users Posts: 145 Curl Neophyte
    I think this is a good method:

YouTube - Rope Twists vs. Two Strand Twists- My Method

I haven't done twist or braids as a style yet but when I do a twist out I have noticed Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles and Qhemet Biologics Amla Olive Heavy Cream made some nice neat and shiny twists. I told myself when I have the patience to do mini twists or something like that I'd use one of the two.

Jah Natural, thank you for the technique video. I didn't even know about the different ways to twist hair. This is very very helpful.
  • blueberry2118blueberry2118 Registered Users Posts: 145 Curl Neophyte
    Will Jane Carter Nourish and Shine be good for twists and braids? I heard shea butter is good at holding braids and twists together. I was wondering since Jane Carter has shea consistency it would be good to use. I am thinking about buying it.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I like to twist on barely damp hair 2-3 days after washing. Too dampe and the twistout is too tight. Too dry and it's too frizzy and flyaway. I spritz dry hair lightly with water, then I use Devacurl Set it free and a bit of Qhemet Olive Honey Hydrating balm on the twists, and Afroveda Curl Define on the very ends which are curled on foam rollers.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • pjjosephgisspjjosephgiss Registered Users Posts: 643
    I did twist on damp hair with a Twist-N-Lock gel that I got at a BSS- more like a pudding, actually...along with QB AOHC and a bit of eccostyler for hold. Wore the twists for abt 2 weeks, then wore twist out for abt 4 more days....
    Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
    Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
    LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
    DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
    Style- UFD, Camille Rose, Hello Curly, Kinky Curly
    Sealant- Jamaican Black Castor and Avocado oils, Qhemet Biologics Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm
    Will try any CG product at least once.
    Proud to be a PJ!
    :happy7::wave:
  • no1curlydivano1curlydiva Registered Users Posts: 60 Curl Neophyte
    I use a mix of 1 part ecostyler gel, 1 part long aid gel, with an oil(jojoba, argan, whatever). This gives me great shine, definition, and hold. I use this after I have washed, applied the "kimmeytube leave in", sealed with coconut oil, and moisturized with shea moisture. Whenever I take the braids/twists down, I use another mix of what I call my hair crack (shea butter whipped with a splash of every oil I have in my arsenal -about 10)

I think I am finally pinning down what works for me!
    [FONT=&quot]Last Relaxer:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]January 2009;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]BC[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: June 2010[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Condish VO5, Sauve[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]DC:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Organicals; Henna/Indigo w/Ayurvedic herbs[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]LI: KimmeyTube Mix [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Seal: Any Oil [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I LOVE Oils & Butters ([/FONT][FONT=&quot]My whipped SB w/various oils mix)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Moisturizers:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] SMCHCS, B.A.S.K Palm; Camile Rose[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Stylers:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] UFDCM; EcoBlue [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Hair Type:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 4a/b[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Texture / [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Porosity: Not sure [/FONT]
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    I like to twist on barely damp hair 2-3 days after washing. Too dampe and the twistout is too tight. Too dry and it's too frizzy and flyaway. I spritz dry hair lightly with water, then I use Devacurl Set it free and a bit of Qhemet Olive Honey Hydrating balm on the twists, and Afroveda Curl Define on the very ends which are curled on foam rollers.
    I use this method too, but I just use HEHH. I'd about given up on ever getting nice TOs until I began using HEHH. Next time I twist, I'll seal my ends w/shea butter too.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file