HELP for autisic daughter's hair

My daughter and I have the same hair type 3a - curly with lots of s curls we have been using Tresseme because it is cheap. It works great for me but her hair seems flat and dull. I think she uses to much conditioner. She is 12 and autistic and insists on doing her own hair. And believe me if you know anything about autistic kids it is easier to let them win if it is not life threatening or educationally necessary. :confused1: Is there a better product that won't weigh her hair down that is inexpensive?

Comments

• GoogyGoogy Posts: 15Registered Users
    What about Suave naturals? Its super-duper cheap, and I find it much lighter than the Tresemme. In fact, I use the Tresemme for my co-wash, but my girls co-wash with the Suave because their hair can't handle the heaviness of the Tresemme either. They love to pick out the scents themselves too!
  • Farah85Farah85 Posts: 90Registered Users
    I use white rain. As a conditioner it would be horrible, but that's exactly why it works so well for me as a co-wash. It is as light and close to 'shampoo' as conditioners can get.

Also, does your daughter use a rinse out or a leave in after the cowash? If yes, what conditioner is she using? That could be contributing to the weighing down as well. I've been trying the spritz and condish method which really worked wonders for keeping my (very porous) hair moisturized without leaving it limp and lifeless. There's a whole thread on it I just don't know how to make the fancy hyperlinks. Just search for it in the forums..

HTH

ETA: Oh and I forgot to mention, it is ridiculously cheap. And they smell nice. I like the coconut one most. Delicious.
    Texture: fine-medium
    Porosity: high-normal
    Elasticity: normal
    Experimenting with making my own products. Hair loves protein.
  • iteachiteach Posts: 2Registered Users
    Farah85 wrote: »
    I use white rain. As a conditioner it would be horrible, but that's exactly why it works so well for me as a co-wash. It is as light and close to 'shampoo' as conditioners can get.

Also, does your daughter use a rinse out or a leave in after the cowash? If yes, what conditioner is she using? That could be contributing to the weighing down as well. I've been trying the spritz and condish method which really worked wonders for keeping my (very porous) hair moisturized without leaving it limp and lifeless. There's a whole thread on it I just don't know how to make the fancy hyperlinks. Just search for it in the forums..

HTH

ETA: Oh and I forgot to mention, it is ridiculously cheap. And they smell nice. I like the coconut one most. Delicious.

Thanks so much I will try the white rain. She usually washes ehr hair with the tresemme shampoo and then rinses that out and then puts in the tresemme conditioner and then rinses that out. These are both from their curly hair line.
  • TeachDeafiesTeachDeafies Posts: 157Registered Users
    I know that it's hard to convince a child with ASD to try something new, but sometimes if you explain the why in concrete terms, they'll understand better. For example, if you say something like "Your hair is so pretty, I want to wash it for you!", say something like "Your hair is pretty, but I think it needs a really good wash. Let me do it for you." If she does well with massage-type stimming, tell her you'll give her a little massage while you wash it.
    CG: 9/4/09

3a and 3b/F/ii

Condish: CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner
    Shampoo (Sulfate-free): Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat (use 1-2x/week)
    Styling Product: HETT mousse

TRYING to grow it out- maybe softer water and going almost strictly CG will help!
  • Farah85Farah85 Posts: 90Registered Users
    iteach wrote: »
    Farah85 wrote: »

HTH

Thanks so much I will try the white rain. She usually washes ehr hair with the tresemme shampoo and then rinses that out and then puts in the tresemme conditioner and then rinses that out. These are both from their curly hair line.

Just a word of caution... While white rain conditioners are excellent for conditioner washing, I'm not sure how good it would be as a rinse out conditioner / detangler. I occasionally use it for that purpose too when I feel that my hair is super weighed down and over-conditioned, but otherwise I need something richer for detangling. I don't know how hard it is to explain to her that she should 'assess' the situation of her hair and how much creaminess she needs for detangling her hair and then use 'just enough' and decide which conditioner to go for that particular day..
    Texture: fine-medium
    Porosity: high-normal
    Elasticity: normal
    Experimenting with making my own products. Hair loves protein.
  • TeachDeafiesTeachDeafies Posts: 157Registered Users
    One thing the OP can do is ask her daughter how much conditioner she uses, and use coins for a visual cue (include a half-dollar if you can find one). Once you find out, tell her that she only needs to use a (insert coin denomination) and let her keep the change. Keeping the change is a treat, and she may use the denomination you said she only needs to use in the tub when she showers. Warning, though- have a hair trap so if she drops it, it won't go down the drain...I can't imagine the meltdown she would have if she lost it during the shower!!
    CG: 9/4/09

3a and 3b/F/ii

Condish: CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner
    Shampoo (Sulfate-free): Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat (use 1-2x/week)
    Styling Product: HETT mousse

TRYING to grow it out- maybe softer water and going almost strictly CG will help!
  • geckogecko Posts: 313Registered Users
    Shampoo and conditioner can sometimes stick together and lead to build up (dull and maybe sticky), especially if the shampoo is not completely rinsed out. Perhaps emphasizing rinsing well may help.

I applaud you for encouraging your girl to be independent and confident with a simple routine.
    m-c iii-ii | loose spirals with ringlets

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file