I went in for a TRIM and got a CUT!

MyHairIsMyHobbyMyHairIsMyHobby Registered Users Posts: 25
Sooo, today I went to the hairdresser to get a trim. Why? I have no clue, I thought it would be a good idea for some reason. Turns out that I really should not have done that. He cut about 1/2 and inch OR MORE and now my hair is shorter NOW than it was when I first cut the relaxed ends off in JULY. I. AM. DEVASTATED! Has anyone had a similar experience? What did you do to get over it/get through it? I need some curl-spiration!

You can see the "damage done" on my blog site.

Tell me what you think! I'm going a little crazy here!
Last relaxer:
April 1, 2010
Shampoos:
Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo
Aubrey Organics HoneySuckle Rose Moisturizing Shampoo
Conditioners:
Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
Alter Ego
Really Loving My new Ayurvedic Regimen
Currently Loving:
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Creme and Spritz!
Follow Me On Twitter: @CurlTheory

event.png

Comments

• curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Registered Users Posts: 860
    Sooo, today I went to the hairdresser to get a trim. Why? I have no clue, I thought it would be a good idea for some reason. Turns out that I really should not have done that. He cut about 1/2 and inch OR MORE and now my hair is shorter NOW than it was when I first cut the relaxed ends off in JULY. I. AM. DEVASTATED! Has anyone had a similar experience? What did you do to get over it/get through it? I need some curl-spiration!

You can see the "damage done" on my blog site.

Tell me what you think! I'm going a little crazy here!

It is horrible when that happens and I'm sure loads of curlies have had the same. I looked at your pics and it is a tad shorter. However, try and think of it as a positive in that your growing hair should be really healthy now at the ends. I think too that after a few days it wont feel so bad - when you just get a cut/trim it always feels drastic for those first few days. Your hair looks lovely :)
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    http://public.fotki.com/curlyhairmichuk/
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • kurlybrownkurlybrown Registered Users Posts: 136
    This is exactly why I haven't stepped foot in a salon in 3 years now. I would like to get a professional trim but from my past experiences... very few stylists actually listen to what their clients want. You sit in the chair and depending on the angle that you are positioned to the mirror you can't see what the heck they are doing!

I'm sorry this happened to you. The great thing is that hair grows! :) Maybe you can put your hair in a protective style for a while until you get back to your previous length.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Natural as of May 2009; 4a/3c
    Avatar Photo: Nov 10' Blow-out; Getting closer to my BIG hair goal!
    "I'm a big woman. I need big hair." - Aretha Franklin
  • MyHairIsMyHobbyMyHairIsMyHobby Registered Users Posts: 25
    Thanks ladies! That helps a lot. I doubt I will let this happen to me again! Lol!
    Last relaxer:
    April 1, 2010
    Shampoos:
    Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo
    Aubrey Organics HoneySuckle Rose Moisturizing Shampoo
    Conditioners:
    Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
    Alter Ego
    Really Loving My new Ayurvedic Regimen
    Currently Loving:
    Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Creme and Spritz!
    Follow Me On Twitter: @CurlTheory

event.png
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Registered Users Posts: 5,400 Curl Connoisseur
    I saw the pics and I don't think it's that bad! Sometimes you have to get rid of those ends to move forward with healthy hair. I just had a trim yesterday and went from 16 inches to I think 14 but those ends were dry as heck and sucked up too much product. So I'm glad they're gone and I can move forward.

I don't buy into that trimming every 6 weeks stuff. If your ends are moisturized I think you can get away with just trimming every 6 months. That way you can see your growth instead of getting set back. Good luck!
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • BugEyeZBugEyeZ Registered Users Posts: 314 Curl Novice
    after 3 years of setbacks, i learned to cut my own hair.
    when all else fails...eat:icescream:
  • knotty_loveknotty_love Registered Users Posts: 170
    Same here i never let anyone cut my hair! I've had so many horrible coloring and cuts in my lifetime, I feel no one knows what the hell they are doing. I trim and layer my own hair. No more problems ever since.
    Sometimes I think the craziness just curls out of my head..:geek:

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery; none but ourselves can free our minds."-Bob Marley

“There are only two types of women - goddesses and doormats”- Pablo Picasso

• Sarahkae11Sarahkae11 Registered Users Posts: 2
    I totally understand. I had this happen to me yesterday, went in to get a trim, ended up with something like 2 inches taken off. Its awful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file