Spray for Braid Maintenance...HELP!

pjjosephgisspjjosephgiss Registered Users Posts: 643
Hi! I just got kinky twists in my hair, and am looking for a braid spray. I never really read the labels in days past and gone, before I went kinda CG. I see cones, mineral oil, etc in these sprays...so I decided to make my own...I am using AOHSR condish, Deva Mist-her right, and Castor oil. I did find a Wet and Wavy detangling leave in condish spray...the ingredients are:

Deionized water, Propylene glycol, PEG 75 Lanolin, Polyquaternium 11, Vitamins A+E, Hydrolyzed Protein, PVP, Methyl Paraben, Quaternium 15, Benzlkonium Chloride

It's supposed to soften and moisturize the synthetic hair. I have been using both, and it seems fine. The twists are soft, and not as stiff as they were when first done. I plan to cleanse weekly with dilute lo poo in a spray bottle, and condition the same way. What do you all think? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also heard that if you use oil on braids, it mats them? Has anyone else ever heard of this?
Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
Style- UFD, Camille Rose, Hello Curly, Kinky Curly
Sealant- Jamaican Black Castor and Avocado oils, Qhemet Biologics Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm
Will try any CG product at least once.
Proud to be a PJ!
:happy7::wave:

Comments

• CocoTCocoT Registered Users Posts: 5,330
    Back in the day I used to use S Curl no drip curl activator on my kinky twists. I think that's the name of it. It's by Luster's I think and it comes in a white bottle with blue text. It made my new growth soft and moist but I stopped using it. Now I prefer to use all natural products so for my protective styles I prefer to use the Oyin Juice spritzes (Juices and Berries :tongue5: ). I like it because they're all natural, they soothe my scalp, moisturizes new growth, and they smell really good.

I've never heard of the oil causing braids to mat thing. I hope I don't have any problems. I've been using KBB sweet ambrosia to moisturize my yarn braids and I really like it. It has oils in it. I'm hoping I can retain more moisture in my hair with these yarn braids because whenever I had kinky twists in, my hair always had a period of dryness and ickyness after I took out the synthetic hair. So far it seems good though.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • adst2nvadst2nv Registered Users Posts: 215
    I second the Oyin's sprays. I've used the Greg Juice and Their Juices n Berries (both smell delicious!) on my braids and two strand twists (both with extensions) and never had any ill effects. Though these juices are oil free, they contain a little veggie glycerine, which sometimes gets a lil sticky if you don't wash that often.Oyin offers sample sizes now of the juices for purchase. Check them out @ Oyin Handmade.

I'm not a fan of braid sprays. They always made my scalp itch for some reason.
    4b mostly, with some 4a

BC'ed: Sept. 2009
    Loving my hair as God intended it to be!! :love7:
  • adst2nvadst2nv Registered Users Posts: 215
    I second the Oyin's sprays. I've used the Greg Juice and Their Juices n Berries (both smell delicious!) on my braids and two strand twists (both with extensions) and never had any ill effects. Though these juices are oil free, they contain a little veggie glycerine, which sometimes gets a lil sticky if you don't wash that often.Oyin offers sample sizes now of the juices for purchase. Check them out @ Oyin Handmade.

I'm not a fan of braid sprays. They always made my scalp itch for some reason.
    4b mostly, with some 4a

BC'ed: Sept. 2009
    Loving my hair as God intended it to be!! :love7:
  • pjjosephgisspjjosephgiss Registered Users Posts: 643
    thanks, ladies!-You guys are PJ enablers! I may have to look into the Oyin [email protected] CocoT- I REALLY hope there is no dry icky period:(. I plan to keep these in for abt 6 weeks, then leave it out for a month, then try another protective style. I know the Luster moisturizer you are talking about. Have seen it on the shelf, but will check the oyin first.

@adst2nv-I plan to wash weekly using dilute shampoo (shea moisture, or deval lo poo) in a spray bottle, and condition the same way afterward. I will check out the samples. thanks again!
    Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
    Sealant- Jamaican Black Castor and Avocado oils, Qhemet Biologics Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm
    Proud to be a PJ!
  • coilynappcoilynapp Registered Users Posts: 4,233
    Oyin juices, I found sticky. Others liked them. I used it for a while for my twists, but in the end, they weren't as moisturizing and my hair was sticky. Now I just make my own
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
    coilynapp wrote: »
    Oyin juices, I found sticky. Others liked them. I used it for a while for my twists, but in the end, they weren't as moisturizing and my hair was sticky. Now I just make my own

with....I am listening!
    Proud to be a PJ!
  • coilynappcoilynapp Registered Users Posts: 4,233

with....I am listening!
    it's the ayurvedic spritz. I posted it in the recipes forum
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1

with....I am listening!
    it's the ayurvedic spritz. I posted it in the recipes forum
    Gracias!
    Proud to be a PJ!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file