We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Best option to lighten hair?

waviewavie Posts: 237Registered Users
I have really dark, virgin, thick brown-almost-black hair. I want to make it more brown....like it looks when it's in the sun. What's the least damaging way?

I know henna's an option but I've heard it thickens your hair...which is really not good for me. :angry3:

TIA :D
Hair type: 2C-3A, very dry, extremely low porosity, med elasticity, insanely thick kinky-wavy.
HGs: Trader Joe's Nourish spa conditioner, Epsom salt rinse, Joico K-pak conditioner

Comments

• LadyCelestinaLadyCelestina Posts: 28Registered Users
    wavie wrote: »
    I have really dark, virgin, thick brown-almost-black hair. I want to make it more brown....like it looks when it's in the sun. What's the least damaging way?

I know henna's an option but I've heard it thickens your hair...which is really not good for me. :angry3:

TIA :D

Have you tryed lightening your hair using honey? There´s a great article about honey lightening on LHC,just search it up ;-)

My virgin hair is much lighter that yours,but I was able to lighten it from medium brown to the point where I had blonde highlights there and there,so I guess it could get you the desired colour,even if you have dark hair.
    Getting back to my natural colour- inch by inch:love5:
    Lady Celestina,Sailor of the Starlit Oceans and Cloudy Seas in order of Curly Crusaders.
  • AllyTAllyT Posts: 613Registered Users
    I second the honey method. I used the LHC's recipe as a guideline and adapted it a little to suit me. I was able to go a few shades lighter after a couple of months of honey deep treatments (1x or 2x a week).

Henna is not supposed to lighten hair. It adds red tones is all. Someone here posted that Rainbow brand henna lightened her hair - I had just purchased some and was a bit afraid to use it after that. It didn't lighten my hair but it did take to my hair right away and dried it out, too - a sign that there are probably additives to the henna.

I don't screw around with henna any more; many brands contain additives, metallic salts when they claim to be "pure" and I don't know how you know what is "pure" henna or not unless you pick it yourself. You can't do anything more to your hair after hennaing because henna is permanent - you can't lighten overtop with chemical dyes once henna is in your hair. Not something to take lightly.
  • LadyCelestinaLadyCelestina Posts: 28Registered Users
    Also,you can try that lemon water + sitting in the sun method,but that´s better to do in summer,and then,it could be damaging for your hair.
    Getting back to my natural colour- inch by inch:love5:
    Lady Celestina,Sailor of the Starlit Oceans and Cloudy Seas in order of Curly Crusaders.
  • willamatthewswillamatthews Posts: 10Registered Users
    Try to get a color remover from sally's to remove the black, then dye it all one shade. Your highlights will start to show back through in a few days anyhow, then you can decide if you want to keep doing them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file