Best option to lighten hair?

waviewavie Posts: 237Registered Users
I have really dark, virgin, thick brown-almost-black hair. I want to make it more brown....like it looks when it's in the sun. What's the least damaging way?

I know henna's an option but I've heard it thickens your hair...which is really not good for me. :angry3:

TIA :D
Hair type: 2C-3A, very dry, extremely low porosity, med elasticity, insanely thick kinky-wavy.
HGs: Trader Joe's Nourish spa conditioner, Epsom salt rinse, Joico K-pak conditioner

Comments

• LadyCelestinaLadyCelestina Posts: 28Registered Users
    wavie wrote: »
    I have really dark, virgin, thick brown-almost-black hair. I want to make it more brown....like it looks when it's in the sun. What's the least damaging way?

I know henna's an option but I've heard it thickens your hair...which is really not good for me. :angry3:

TIA :D

Have you tryed lightening your hair using honey? There´s a great article about honey lightening on LHC,just search it up ;-)

My virgin hair is much lighter that yours,but I was able to lighten it from medium brown to the point where I had blonde highlights there and there,so I guess it could get you the desired colour,even if you have dark hair.
    Getting back to my natural colour- inch by inch:love5:
    Lady Celestina,Sailor of the Starlit Oceans and Cloudy Seas in order of Curly Crusaders.
  • AllyTAllyT Posts: 613Registered Users
    I second the honey method. I used the LHC's recipe as a guideline and adapted it a little to suit me. I was able to go a few shades lighter after a couple of months of honey deep treatments (1x or 2x a week).

Henna is not supposed to lighten hair. It adds red tones is all. Someone here posted that Rainbow brand henna lightened her hair - I had just purchased some and was a bit afraid to use it after that. It didn't lighten my hair but it did take to my hair right away and dried it out, too - a sign that there are probably additives to the henna.

I don't screw around with henna any more; many brands contain additives, metallic salts when they claim to be "pure" and I don't know how you know what is "pure" henna or not unless you pick it yourself. You can't do anything more to your hair after hennaing because henna is permanent - you can't lighten overtop with chemical dyes once henna is in your hair. Not something to take lightly.
  • LadyCelestinaLadyCelestina Posts: 28Registered Users
    Also,you can try that lemon water + sitting in the sun method,but that´s better to do in summer,and then,it could be damaging for your hair.
    Getting back to my natural colour- inch by inch:love5:
    Lady Celestina,Sailor of the Starlit Oceans and Cloudy Seas in order of Curly Crusaders.
  • willamatthewswillamatthews Posts: 10Registered Users
    Try to get a color remover from sally's to remove the black, then dye it all one shade. Your highlights will start to show back through in a few days anyhow, then you can decide if you want to keep doing them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file