RCW method question re: peeling

solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I just started the RCW method a few weeks ago. Because of the order my products arrived, I started with washing with Dianna Yvonne Wheat Germ and Clarisonic then SA (2%). A week later, I added in the HA/Emu oil. A week later, used Retin A two evenings, and then noticed some peeling. This peeling is not really dry and flaky, but kind of moist and flaky (if that makes sense). My question is, is the peeling due to the Retin A? If so, how do I combat the peeling, and how do I cover it up? If I do Retin A once a week, will the regular amount of HA/Emu keep the peeling to a minimum?

Thanks for any advice!
Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Retin-A makes you peel. It's supposed to. It's mechanism of action is to increase cell turnover, and the peeling is the result of that action. I use a little microfiber cloth each morning to wipe off the flakies. If yours are unmanagable with that, you might want to back off a little to once a week.
  • solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks, RCW. I thought it might have been too much SA, which I was using 2x/day until I got the Retin A. The peeling is pretty bad at the moment. I am only washing with the cleanser and using HA/Emu oil once a day until I'm normal again, and I'll build the other stuff back in, including Retin A once a week and SA no more than once a day!
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file