Product synergy

JuJuJuJu Registered Users Posts: 38 Curl Neophyte
I've been experimenting quite a bit with making my own bath/haircare products, and have come to a sort of epiphany about how to deal with my hair and figuring out what it needs. I've realized that I have to develop a synergistic regime, where each product on it's own may not produce the best effect, but combined give me soft, smooth hair.

I have extremely dense 4a African hair, and I could never figure out why sometimes I could get products to work fabulously for me, and then completely fail another time. For example, the first few times I tried qhemet products, they made my hair extremely dry and hard, but when I tried them again using a different mediocre drugstore conditioner, they worked unbelievably well, then again, dry and hard when I used a "better" organic conditioner. I was sort of stumped. I also figured out if my hair felt rough and hard when I was applying my leave in conditioner, hair balm, gel, etc. that meant my hair was going to dry soft...very counterintuitive, that is why it has taken me so long to figure out a good regime for my hair.

I've realized that I was doing too much at once with each product in an attempt to moisturize my hair (ie using a moisturizing shampoo, followed by a moisturizing conditioner, then a moisturizing leave in, then a moiturizing gel, etc.)

It works best for me to fragment each product with a specific task, like only using oils/butters on my hair as the last step to moisturize and seal my hair, and not using conditioners with moisturizing oils in them, as it leaves my hair hard for some reason. I think it all has to do with the ability of the cuticle to seal itself, I think I was creating too much product interference by doing it all in each step.

This is why I could really never get aubrey organics, and other earthy organic conditioners to work for me, they felt good in the shower, but never combined well with qhemet products and sort of left my hair feeling hard as they are choc full of oils and butters. This is also why I think suave and other cheap drugstore conditioners worked well for me in the past because they basically only contain conditioning emulsifiers + conditioning surfactants, with no other bells and whistles. The only way I could get qhemet products to work for me is if I used l'oreal smoothing conditioner beforehand (has no oils, and it is acidifying).

So, what works best for me (and I think this may also be the case for other super kinky girls like me where it is difficult to get the cuticle to lay flat ) is to have a basic cleansing non-drying shampoo that works well with a really good acidifying, smoothing conditioner, followed by a really moisturizing, oily, buttery leave in (with a good smoothing emulsifier) that seals the cuticle and keeps it lying flat.
It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation

Comments

• afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Registered Users Posts: 5,400 Curl Connoisseur
    JuJu wrote: »
    So, what works best for me (and I think this may also be the case for other super kinky girls like me where it is difficult to get the cuticle to lay flat ) is to have a basic cleansing non-drying shampoo that works well with a really good acidifying, smoothing conditioner, followed by a really moisturizing, oily, buttery leave in (with a good smoothing emulsifier) that seals the cuticle and keeps it lying flat.

Isn't it great when you find out what works? Your routine is also what I found worked for me.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte

Isn't it great when you find out what works? Your routine is also what I found worked for me.
    +1. I spent a long time in a product junkie role finding out what works. My routine has been consistent for a year or so; it's nice to relax and stick with what works.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • sassywillowsassywillow Registered Users Posts: 829
    I've been experimenting quite a bit with making my own bath/haircare products, and have come to a sort of epiphany about how to deal with my hair and figuring out what it needs. I've realized that I have to develop a synergistic regime, where each product on it's own may not produce the best effect, but combined give me soft, smooth hair.

I have extremely dense 4a African hair, and I could never figure out why sometimes I could get products to work fabulously for me, and then completely fail another time. For example, the first few times I tried qhemet products, they made my hair extremely dry and hard, but when I tried them again using a different mediocre drugstore conditioner, they worked unbelievably well, then again, dry and hard when I used a "better" organic conditioner. I was sort of stumped. I also figured out if my hair felt rough and hard when I was applying my leave in conditioner, hair balm, gel, etc. that meant my hair was going to dry soft...very counterintuitive, that is why it has taken me so long to figure out a good regime for my hair.

I've realized that I was doing too much at once with each product in an attempt to moisturize my hair (ie using a moisturizing shampoo, followed by a moisturizing conditioner, then a moisturizing leave in, then a moiturizing gel, etc.)

It works best for me to fragment each product with a specific task, like only using oils/butters on my hair as the last step to moisturize and seal my hair, and not using conditioners with moisturizing oils in them, as it leaves my hair hard for some reason. I think it all has to do with the ability of the cuticle to seal itself, I think I was creating too much product interference by doing it all in each step.

This is why I could really never get aubrey organics, and other earthy organic conditioners to work for me, they felt good in the shower, but never combined well with qhemet products and sort of left my hair feeling hard as they are choc full of oils and butters. This is also why I think suave and other cheap drugstore conditioners worked well for me in the past because they basically only contain conditioning emulsifiers + conditioning surfactants, with no other bells and whistles. The only way I could get qhemet products to work for me is if I used l'oreal smoothing conditioner beforehand (has no oils, and it is acidifying).

+1. I have tried every natural conditoner under the sun and the commerical conditioners work better for me. I think its because they have stronger conditioning agents. BTMS just isn't enough for my hair.
    Ah...to be a well pampered pootiecat. I can sleep on my owner's lap. Roll over on my back when I want my stomach rubbed. Purr with delight. Suddenly jump off and walk away for no reason. Not respond when I am called. Throw my leg up and lick with intense abandon. Sleep 85% of the time. Hang my head off the couch and view the world upside down.:laughing5:
  • lisa6lisa6 Registered Users Posts: 543 Curl Novice

@ the bolded, I found this to be the case with my hair also and stopped doctoring my conditioners and DTs with additional oils. Conditioners that contain a fair amount of butters/oils (i.e. Aubrey's) work better on my dry hair, so I save them for pre-poos.

ETA: butter/oils don't make my hair hard, but too much of it in a conditioner or DT seems to negate the effectiveness of the conditioner
    comic-p.jpg
    4a fine, thin, high porosity
    Poo: SM Y&B, BT TT
    C: HE Reconditioning, Suave Almond and Shea
    DC: CJ CR, CJ RM
    LI: JC DT
    Curl Cream: RN BWCC, CJ CCCC
    Gel: CJ AFG
    Refresher: SM Thickening Mist, SM Y&A Milk, CJ CIAB
    Moisturizer: CJ SL, SM CES

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list