to do it? or not? help!

acydroseacydrose Registered Users Posts: 17
hey guys help?

im a shoulder lenght 3c, when i straighten is midback but i havent straightened in almost 2 years, with the exception of prom months ago and i feel like changing my look

and i dont know if its me, or my hair type, but when i straighten it takes 2 weeks of straightening once a week so my hair stays straight for good, sometimes i can straighten at 3pm and it starts to curl at 8pm
is it because of the time between straightening??

also, i have traction alopecia, so will it help? make it better, worse or more noticeable or less??

i need guidance!

also! i straighten at a salon, i dont own a blower/iron because i've never really learned the art of straighening my hair
~acydrose
3b-3c from Puerto Rico

Comments

• freemayofreemayo Registered Users Posts: 53
    acydrose wrote: »
    hey guys help?

im a shoulder lenght 3c, when i straighten is midback but i havent straightened in almost 2 years, with the exception of prom months ago and i feel like changing my look

and i dont know if its me, or my hair type, but when i straighten it takes 2 weeks of straightening once a week so my hair stays straight for good, sometimes i can straighten at 3pm and it starts to curl at 8pm
    is it because of the time between straightening??

also, i have traction alopecia, so will it help? make it better, worse or more noticeable or less??

i need guidance!

also! i straighten at a salon, i dont own a blower/iron because i've never really learned the art of straighening my hair

This is funny. You have very similar hair issues as me. Not that I have a solution. But I noticed you also didn't get any replies. BTW, I'm also from PR, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I have a "nappier" version of what you have, but with more bulk. I also get traction alopecia so something
    like braids would do nothing but make me go bald.

Oh, and straightening.... yikes. i once had to have a japanese thermal straightening treatment done twice because my curl kept coming back. It's not incredibly intense curl, it's just the most stubborn stuff in the world. My friends with 4b hair had an easier time straightening ironically. Yet, at the same time, the only time I used a relaxer, it took out the edges of my hairline. Go figure.

I really wish I had a solution for you.

If you're going to straighten without relaxers, I would consider doing it old school and using rollers, doobie, and then a blower or flat iron. And very strong deep conditioning treatments. Since you get traction aloepecia, you may not want to sleep with a doobie on. i know i couldn't. If you have noticeable bald spots due to traction alopecia, yes, straight hair may make it more noticeable. i suggest taking a good look at the state of your hairline.

The website below tells you how to do rollers and doobie. you mentioned that you don't know how so it might be worth it to learn if you decide to go that route.

Roller Set Natural Hair to Achieve a Healthy Straight Style
  • acydroseacydrose Registered Users Posts: 17
    thanks for the advice, i guess i'll do the normal conditioning-blower-iron way

my alopecia is more to the top/sides of my head, not the hairline so i guess it would be noticeable depending on the styling
    ~acydrose
    3b-3c from Puerto Rico

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file