Teen Fitness and HELP!

Jelly.ViJelly.Vi Registered Users Posts: 103
Okay, so i want to start working out, to start on a regimen for a healthly lifestyle for now, as well as later in life...

About me:
Im 1/2 and inch shy of 5'10, and only 110lbs
You could imagine how skinny i am... sack of bones!
You know those newborn baby rattles, thatre like velcro bracelets so they dont have to grasp em (cause they cant!) well, i can wear em too! I can wrap my hands around the upper part of my arm, and my fingertips will touch! You can just imagine the rest of me. Im just skinny, simply put. Whenever i mention working out to someone they laugh and say "If you exercise, you'll disappear into thin air" >:C

im pretty sure im like 20-40lbs underweight, idk though, dont know much bout that. Maybe its my frame?

Okay, so im healtly as far as i know. Im not anorexic or anything like that, no eating disorders. I guess i just have a very fast/high metabolism. Which is fine, i eat more than the men in my family, and never go over 125lbs. I dont really like junk foods. I dont like soda. Id rather stick to homecooked meals/natural juices, teas, and coffee! (Taste way better) Something that DOES worry me sometimes, is random sharp pains in my chest, that make breathing harder/shallow. It happens out of the blue, and disappears after awhile. Weird?

Anywho, when i was young/preteens, id ALWAYS LOVE to run. Just run for fun. Whenever i wanted to play a game? TAG! i just loved it, and boy was i good. I loved running, and the feeling you got from it. Id play football with my brothers, and baseball ect, and i just LOVED the running part. Running just for the hell of it. BUT NOW, (17 in a month) when i run, i just cant do it! My brother did something that i didnt like, and i chased him, and he ran outside and around the house, boy was i lacking! He could run circles around me now. I got around half way around the darn house and just gave up! I could not believe it. I had side pains, shortness of breath like you would not believe, for a good few minutes, and my heart was going crazy!

I know that its probably due to not working out/exerting myself too much in such a short time, but man was that disappointing! Cardio is important, and i cant say im very 'inshape'.

Anyways, i want to run again. and id like a few tips about how to get endurance up there!

I also REALLLY wanted to get into Yoga, and boxing, if anyone has any advice/suggestions. Im very self conscious, and have low self esteem, so id like to start off solitary, or with a small group. Maybe some instructors do one on one? i know boxing does sometimes.

One of my main worries about any exercise, is losing MORE weight, which i know, some of you are like SHEESSH, YOURE COMPLAINING ABOUT BEING TOO SKINNY? but really, if i did lose too much weight, i would literally look like i have a eating disorder. Also, i dont wanna tone or 'cut' my muscles yah know? Dont wanna be 90lbs with super 'cuts' and definition. tall buff and tiny?

So guys, any advice/help!? :C

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    Reading this, I am concerned for your health. There are a number of reasons you could be eating a lot of food and staying underweight. Definitely see a doctor if you don't have energy!
    A number of things come to mind -- thyroid problems, diabetes, diseases of the stomach and intestines. Other things come to mind, but I won't mention them -- they are all cause to call the doctor or have a parent call and make you an appointment as soon as possible.
    I am very concerned about your descriptions of brief chest pains, difficulty breathing, and fatigue.
    There is a good chance this is not just a lack of exercise but only a doctor can do the tests and figure out what is going on.
    A near-17 year old who is eating well and has what sound like healthy habits and a good outlook on life should feel energetic and be able to chase her brother (tackle him if you must) and maintain her weight.

Please get in to see a doctor, print all this out if you need to and read it off to her or him and make sure there is nothing wrong.
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Registered Users Posts: 9,596
    I would def go to the doctor. Especially if you want to run, because you'll burn a lot of calories, so to just maintain your weight, if you're eating a lot now, you're gonna have to eat even more. So yea I would go to the doctor? Have you always been this weight? or did it come over time?
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • Jelly.ViJelly.Vi Registered Users Posts: 103
    IAgirl wrote: »
    Reading this, I am concerned for your health. There are a number of reasons you could be eating a lot of food and staying underweight. Definitely see a doctor if you don't have energy!
    A number of things come to mind -- thyroid problems, diabetes, diseases of the stomach and intestines. Other things come to mind, but I won't mention them -- they are all cause to call the doctor or have a parent call and make you an appointment as soon as possible.
    I am very concerned about your descriptions of brief chest pains, difficulty breathing, and fatigue.
    There is a good chance this is not just a lack of exercise but only a doctor can do the tests and figure out what is going on.
    A near-17 year old who is eating well and has what sound like healthy habits and a good outlook on life should feel energetic and be able to chase her brother (tackle him if you must) and maintain her weight.

Please get in to see a doctor, print all this out if you need to and read it off to her or him and make sure there is nothing wrong.

Well, long story. Point is, i have to move to Georgia on thursday, tmrw is the last day i could possibly go, which would be a walk in visit to a pediatrician. Along with the doctor's visit, i also have to gather a few things before i leave. I dont know how thorough of an exam it would be either, he isnt exactly particulate. I dont know how to change doctors, or how long that would take, or anything really :P

Other people have pointed out that i probably have problems/should be checked out, but i just dont know how, what to say, ect. And like i said.. my doctor isnt very particulate, and i dont think a day would be sufficient?
    turtles wrote: »
    I would def go to the doctor. Especially if you want to run, because you'll burn a lot of calories, so to just maintain your weight, if you're eating a lot now, you're gonna have to eat even more. So yea I would go to the doctor? Have you always been this weight? or did it come over time?

Yeah i have. The only other person in my family thats really like this is my little brother. He's taller than me... and just as skinny/skinnier. All the women in my family are average 5'5 or so, and the men are about my height. Theyre all 'normal' built or on the heavier side, chubby ect. Me and him have always been like this. Me more extreme, cause he's into a lot of junk food/candy, and im more of actual meals kinda person, and i do eat more than him.
    WHat to say to a doctor? Exactly what you wrote in your first post, of course!
    You can even print it out and have them read it.
    You're right, tests need to be done and moving complicates that. Walk-in clinics are best for simple problems, but, they're a good place to start because you can just go there and get things started rather than wait for an appointment!
    But to find a new doctor, just get out the phone book or go online, find a number and call to see if they're taking new patients. A parent should be able to help.

Going to a walk-in clinic when you move is also a good idea -- no waiting. If you need to see somebody else, they'll help you work that out.

It's always important to rule out diseases when you feel like you do.
    Get it checked ASAP!
    IAgirl wrote: »
    WHat to say to a doctor? Exactly what you wrote in your first post, of course!
    You can even print it out and have them read it.
    You're right, tests need to be done and moving complicates that. Walk-in clinics are best for simple problems, but, they're a good place to start because you can just go there and get things started rather than wait for an appointment!
    But to find a new doctor, just get out the phone book or go online, find a number and call to see if they're taking new patients. A parent should be able to help.

Going to a walk-in clinic when you move is also a good idea -- no waiting. If you need to see somebody else, they'll help you work that out.

It's always important to rule out diseases when you feel like you do.
    Get it checked ASAP!

My mom passed away late september, and she was the 'all do-er'. Us 'kids' dont have health insurance now. And the reason i moved to Georgia is because my older sister is taking custody of me. However, that hasnt been processed yet, and court ruling isnt til december. My 'legal gaurdian' is in a whole other state. As you can probably guess we're a bit tight on fees. I had an internal infection, but i forgot the antibiotics the last 2days. So im assuming it never got cleared up (this was the past month or two). And my father kept procrastinating it, and i never got new meds for it. ANYwho, i told my sister recently that it was starting to hurt sometimes, and well, she said to wait til it REALLY hurts, and we'll go to the emergency room. So, i feel really stuck here :P with everything.
    I don't have health insurance either. Walk-in clinics are much less expensive than the emergency room. I mean, hundreds of dollars less! I have left a walk-in clinic with a bill of (as little as) $65, whereas the emergency room would have cost me closer to $300 (or much more if tests or more time is needed).
    I'm sorry to hear that you are in such a difficult situation, that is a lot to deal with at any age, especially when you are so young.
    There may be state assistance programs you qualify for and you can usually look this up online and make some phone calls. Sometimes there are requirements that you have been uninsured for a certain number of months, but you should always call and talk to a real live person to confirm!
    Your guardian will need to sign most things, but sometimes a phone-conference can replace their actual presence in a room. Ask about it.
    At a walk-in clinic, they should be able to help you get started finding financial help. Somebody will be able to help work with the situation you are in and will understand the complexity of it all.

It is better to get ahead of infections and treat them as soon as you can. Waiting until they are very bad and going to the ER can mean you already have complications -- the infection can spread to other parts of your body, give you a bad fever, or spread to your blood and this is extremely dangerous.

Honor your mom's can-do attitude and start looking for solutions. You are a strong person and you will find your way. But right now you need help from others.

You can even call a walk-in clinic ahead of time, explain as much of your situation as you need to and ask how they can work with you on it or what they would recommend.

I know health care is expensive, but it's not something you can ignore. Problems cost less and resolve faster when they are not allowed to get too big.
    Here's a website to check into: Information

Take care of yourself.
  • beautifulRainbeautifulRain Registered Users Posts: 189
    I agree with the other posters that you definitely need to get evaluated by a doctor. I realize that with your situation that may be difficult, but go as soon as you are able.

As for this:
    Something that DOES worry me sometimes, is random sharp pains in my chest, that make breathing harder/shallow. It happens out of the blue, and disappears after awhile. Weird?

I have read about something called Precordial Catch Syndrome (which I believe I have experienced myself - most frequently when I was about your age... less so as I've gotten older). Precordial catch syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It is a harmless, random sharp pain in the left side of the chest. Doctors cannot explain what causes it but it is (so far) deemed to be harmless. That is not to say that your random chest pains are not something less benign and do not need to be evaluated by a doc, but if that is what is going on, it's not a big deal. But please do see a doctor as soon as you can. And keep up the healthy lifestyle habits you already have!
    3a/b 'curly bob' in the mid-Atlantic. Goal: more 3b than 3a. CG Oct 2010.

Low-poo: Giovanni TTTT, Ion Swim
    Co-wash: V05 Shea Cashmere
    Rinse-out: SalonCare Apples & Pears, Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: Cure Care, Ion Moisturizing Treatment
    Stylers: Ecostyler Argan Oil, LALSG, LBLOC, Hold It! Wave Maker, LAL Beachy Waves Spray Gel. Also been using my diffuser more lately.
    PT: Ion Reconstructor
    DT: GVP Balm, Pure Elements Intense Repairing Treatment
    http://beautifulraincurls.blogspot.com/
    I agree with the other posters that you definitely need to get evaluated by a doctor. I realize that with your situation that may be difficult, but go as soon as you are able.

As for this:
    Something that DOES worry me sometimes, is random sharp pains in my chest, that make breathing harder/shallow. It happens out of the blue, and disappears after awhile. Weird?

I have read about something called Precordial Catch Syndrome (which I believe I have experienced myself - most frequently when I was about your age... less so as I've gotten older). Precordial catch syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It is a harmless, random sharp pain in the left side of the chest. Doctors cannot explain what causes it but it is (so far) deemed to be harmless. That is not to say that your random chest pains are not something less benign and do not need to be evaluated by a doc, but if that is what is going on, it's not a big deal. But please do see a doctor as soon as you can. And keep up the healthy lifestyle habits you already have!

Well, they arent only on the left side :P but tyvm for the effort. Maybe that doesnt rule it out

i will definately try to get my foot in the door, ty guys

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file