CurlTalk

How did I not know about Alba Strong Hold Gel?? WOW!!

Do you use this product??

I returned KCCC to Whole Foods last night. When will I learn that if a product has aloe high on the list that for me it better have some polymers to go along? My hair is just too soft and not a solid enough curl to support aloe. Anyway...

I had been reading around about other top rated firmer hold gels and found info about Alba Botanica Strong Hold Styling Gel. Whole Foods had it on sale last night, $6.99 for 7 oz.

Here is a link to the product so that you can see it:
/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.luckyvitamin.com%2Fp-21876-alba-natural-alba-botanica-styling-gel-strong-hold-7-oz" class="Popup

Here is the ingredient deck:
Purified water, VP/VA copolymer, vegetable glycerin, hydrolyzed wheat protein, biotin, panthenol, niacin, extracts of camellia sinensis (green tea) and serenoa serrulata (saw palmetto), certified organic extracts of salvia officinalis (sage), aloe barbadensis leaf, lavandula angustifolia (lavender), melissa officinalis, calendula officinalis and chamomilla recutita (matricaria), sodium hydroxide, carbomer, phenoxyethanol.

• Fragrance free
• No sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate
•No paraben preservatives or phthalates
•No artificial colors or Silicones
•100% vegetarian ingredients and No animal testing
•EU Cosmetics Directive Compliant.

A LOT of protein if your hair can handle. Granted, I just tried this morning on hair I sort of did last night (when I am not going anywhere, I do not add as much jazz) but I am impressed. The true test will be tomorrow when I use it fom scratch but I have root lift and some actual curl in my top layers!!

They also had an Alba soft curl cream but it looked too moisturizing for my hair. Had coconut oil near the top.

I also bought their hairspray. I still have to spray my bangs which do not curl. It was CG as well!

Oh-and I also like that this has no fragrance. That can be an issue for me.

Have you use this? Any drawbacks?
I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
Condition: DevaCurl OC
LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM

Comments

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,681Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sorry, don't know about the gel (I don't do well with gels at all) but would appreciate it if you could let us know how you go with the hairspray. I'm a fringe sprayer too and would like to find something cg that works.
    TIA.
    3b in South Australia.
  • curlykeycurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users
    Interesting. I've looked at the spray and the gel at Vitacost.com several times and almost purchased. I do have the curl cream and although I've only tried it a couple of times, it works for me. What do you think about the spray? I may have to purchase these after all.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • MissCurlGirlMissCurlGirl Posts: 141Registered Users
    I'm interested in your results with the hair spray also.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.etsy.com%2Fshop%2FJewelryCreations" class="Popup
    Hair Type: 3A/3B, Texture Fine, Thin, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity
    Shampoo: DevaCurl NoPoo, CJ DF
    Conditioner: DevaCurl OneC, CJ CF, CJ BSC, CJAO
    Leave-In: CJ BCLI, CJ Hubiscus & Banana Honey Butta
    Styling: CIAB, AG:recoil, CJ CCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG, DevaCurl AnGel, BRHG, CJ CQG, Komaza Coconut products, Curls products
    Finishing: CHS Tweek, SS Emollience
    DT & PT: DevaCurl Heaven in Hair, SS DD, CJ RM!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'd love to know how the gel is working for you. :)
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    Interesting that this works for you, given your hair's aversion to aloe. Maybe it is low enough down the list?

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users
    It worked GREAT!

PB-Yes to your question. Polymers first on the list means aloe can be down the deck and I am fine.

I was scared at first because my hair was very hard but it scrunched out beautifully. Big, fat curls. I like to use things by themselves the first time but did not do that today. Since I will be off work Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, I will have time to play with this alone to really get a feel for it. So far, so good!!

Also got nice hold with the hair spray. It is holding but is still soft. It is a winner!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
    I used this gel today over CJ smoothing gellie and then some CIAB as a serum. I was a little leary to begin with because my hair felt a little odd while still wet......but it may be due to the CJSG which makes my hair feel odd when wet. So, I used a tiny bit of leave-in (Toadstool from Etsy), CJSG (SSM), Alba strong hold gel and CIAB. I used probably a quarter size blob....diffused and waited to SOTC for a little while. I didn't have a lot of crunch per se, but some. Results=Soft and shiny curls :toothy7:. The true test will be at the end of the day. I'm hoping this holds out well.....so for a first impression, I like it :).
  • RacerWife7RacerWife7 Posts: 890Registered Users
    It's also available here: Alba Botanica, Strong Hold Style Gel, Fragrance Free, 7 oz (198 g) - iHerb.com

You can get it for .46 (Yes - that's 46-CENTS) if you use my coupon code for $5 off! (plus, shipping, of course) ;) - if you don't have a store that carries it near you.
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • SpaghettiHeadSpaghettiHead Posts: 1,510Registered Users
    RacerWife7 wrote: »
    It's also available here: Alba Botanica, Strong Hold Style Gel, Fragrance Free, 7 oz (198 g) - iHerb.com

You can get it for .46 (Yes - that's 46-CENTS) if you use my coupon code for $5 off! (plus, shipping, of course) ;) - if you don't have a store that carries it near you.

Thank you ma'am!!! :) That made it $3.33 ground shipping to TX. (I have it close to me, but why not save $5.00)
    Awesome!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Iherb is super duper fast with shipping. I like to order from them when I only have one or two items because the shipping is usually less expensive then vitacost.com, but when I have a large order, I go with vitacost. I also went ahead and ordered a full size bottle of the Alba strong hold gel from iherb...it's here! :toothy7:

Thank you ma'am!!! :) That made it $3.33 ground shipping to TX. (I have it close to me, but why not save $5.00)
    Awesome!

You're very welcome! Glad to help! :D - BTW, when you get home tonight, check out my Picasa album - I have today's pics in there. My bangs are CRAZY curly today!... even though I pulled back SOME of my hair. I left some of my bangs down because they're just too cute to pull up. ;)
    curlykey wrote: »
    Iherb is super duper fast with shipping. I like to order from them when I only have one or two items because the shipping is usually less expensive then vitacost.com, but when I have a large order, I go with vitacost. I also went ahead and ordered a full size bottle of the Alba strong hold gel from iherb...it's here! :toothy7:

I saw after I posted that you're an iHerb-junkie, too! I LOVE them. But, like you, I do shop around and see who, in the end, has the best price overall. ;) I agree - iHerb is great for the smaller stuff and DEFINITELY super duper fast! :)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg

Awesome!

You're very welcome! Glad to help! :D - BTW, when you get home tonight, check out my Picasa album - I have today's pics in there. My bangs are CRAZY curly today!... even though I pulled back SOME of my hair. I left some of my bangs down because they're just too cute to pull up. ;)
    curlykey wrote: »

I saw after I posted that you're an iHerb-junkie, too! I LOVE them. But, like you, I do shop around and see who, in the end, has the best price overall. ;) I agree - iHerb is great for the smaller stuff and DEFINITELY super duper fast! :)

OMG, I was going to say that your avatar bangs are super curly!! I will definitely check out your album tonight. Did you ever think you'd say "they're just too cute to (not clip or straighten) ?? :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    OMG, I was going to say that your avatar bangs are super curly!! I will definitely check out your album tonight. Did you ever think you'd say "they're just too cute to (not clip or straighten) ?? :)

NEVER in a MILLION years. :lol:
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • MountaincurlMountaincurl Posts: 571Registered Users
    I tried this today, and... love. Love the hold and the mostly natural ingredients and that it has no fragrance. :D

this is my hair with it today:
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
    Mountaincurl, your hair looks great!! Very frizz free, and I love the height you have on the top!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    thank you! It's kind of a bad quality photo but it gets the point across I guess :p I love this gel. I'm allergic to everything it seems, so the no-fragrance thing is also a great deal for me.
  • curlyserfcurlyserf Posts: 858Registered Users
    Here's mine today using it with Biotera Curl Cream under it. My hair is a little dry and frizzy, but I didn't use a leave-in, so I think that may be it. I'm still playing with the best combos, but this is definitely a keeper!

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
    Mountaincurl, your hair looks great!! Very frizz free, and I love the height you have on the top!

ITA! I have issues with height at my part and the back of the crown (sort of the top of the back of my head). I can never get the height I want. Yours is gorgeous, Mountaincurl!
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg

ITA! I have issues with height at my part and the back of the crown (sort of the top of the back of my head). I can never get the height I want. Yours is gorgeous, Mountaincurl!

Thank youuuu! :D Getting it to stay that way is the hard part.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I am really intrigued by this Alba gel!

Has anyone who has used the Alba gel previously tried Max Green Alchemy Sculpting Gel (in the tube, not the one in the pump bottle)? I love MGASG but it's pricey. Wondering if Alba is a similar hold. Heck for that price, I need to try it anyway. But I am still curious if anyone can compare them at this point.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
    Serf- That's what I get when I use curl creams...it looks okay for a while, and then it feels kind of weird that's why I've decided to most gels all alone.

Janet- Holy bangs batman! Those are spirally!! They look freaking awesome. I love the way you have it clipped up too!

Spiralli- I have never used the Max Green, but I've been eyeballing it lately..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlyLinZeeCurlyLinZee Posts: 462Registered Users

Mountaincurl:
    Are you clipping the roots? If so, we want pics! You have the best hairline in the front too. I love the way your hair shapes your face in the front. You must share your secrets...:blob8:
    Hair type: 2c/3a ii, medium/coarse, desert hair
    Cleansers: CJ Daily Fix
    Conditioners: CJ Beauticurls Argan Oil, Tresemme
    Leave-In Conditioners: CJ BCLI
    Deep Conditioners: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Deep Fix, SS DDMT
    Stylers:
    KCCC
    Holding Gels: CJ Curl Queen
    Pomade: Jane Carter N&S
    Hair Likes: agave nectar, oils of any kind

This definitely works better for me than the MGASG, which didn't have much hold for me. HTH.
    Update: It held up all day! Yay! I might even get second day hair out of this....woot woot!
    Spiralli wrote: »
    I am really intrigued by this Alba gel!

Has anyone who has used the Alba gel previously tried Max Green Alchemy Sculpting Gel (in the tube, not the one in the pump bottle)? I love MGASG but it's pricey. Wondering if Alba is a similar hold. Heck for that price, I need to try it anyway. But I am still curious if anyone can compare them at this point.
    ok this is my secret, lol.

The only way I can ever get any kind of volume is clipping. I used a big octopus clip on top for basically my whole canopy (i don't have a ton of hair). Then I used two little inch-long jaw clips on each side of my head, one for my "bangs" and then one closer to the crown on the left side.

Keep in mind this is the best volume i've ever had, so my hair may never do it again :happy8: but i hope!
    Serf- That's what I get when I use curl creams...it looks okay for a while, and then it feels kind of weird that's why I've decided to most gels all alone.

Janet- Holy bangs batman! Those are spirally!! They look freaking awesome. I love the way you have it clipped up too!

Thank you!!! I loved how they came out all spirally like that! My hair, although fine, is heavy because there's so much of it. And because it curls towards my face (does everyone's curl toward their face like that???), it gets heavy in the bangs area and starts to look weird. I really think that's part of my bangs issue. But, that's why I ended up clipping some of it back off my forehead.

Mountaincurl:
    Are you clipping the roots? If so, we want pics! You have the best hairline in the front too. I love the way your hair shapes your face in the front. You must share your secrets...:blob8:

The only way I can ever get any kind of volume is clipping. I used a big octopus clip on top for basically my whole canopy (i don't have a ton of hair). Then I used two little inch-long jaw clips on each side of my head, one for my "bangs" and then one closer to the crown on the left side.

Keep in mind this is the best volume i've ever had, so my hair may never do it again :happy8: but i hope!

Hmmm... I wonder (2) things here: (1) with the massive amount of hair I have would I be able to do that? and (2) would it mess with my curl and make it look weird?.... IDK, but it looks great on you!

So, now I have a new gel to try (I already have if, of course) :lol: and a new way of clipping the crown... Hmmm... Off to the shower for me! LOL!
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg

Thank you!!! I loved how they came out all spirally like that! My hair, although fine, is heavy because there's so much of it. And because it curls towards my face (does everyone's curl toward their face like that???), it gets heavy in the bangs area and starts to look weird. I really think that's part of my bangs issue. But, that's why I ended up clipping some of it back off my forehead.

Mountaincurl:

Hmmm... I wonder (2) things here: (1) with the massive amount of hair I have would I be able to do that? and (2) would it mess with my curl and make it look weird?.... IDK, but it looks great on you!

So, now I have a new gel to try (I already have if, of course) :lol: and a new way of clipping the crown... Hmmm... Off to the shower for me! LOL!

Honestly i'm not sure how this would work for someone with a stronger curl pattern. I have a weak pattern and I am willing to sacrifice definition for volume, so I don't know. I hope it doesn't make your curls all weird.

Also, Racerwife, I am in love with your curly bangs! They look so awesome and perfect in your photos :)
    LOL! Thanks - they didn't come out NEARLY as well today. :*( I wish I could get consistent results. ;)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • asugirlasugirl Posts: 937Registered Users
    Thanks for starting this thread! I have the Alba Leave in which I love, the soft curl cream which I like, and now I love the gel! Great price at either Vitacost or iHerb. I use it on wet hair, try not to mess with it, then diffuse a little before dry, and great!

2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users
    I'm sad to report, my hair absolutely hated the Alba gel. It totally dried me out. My hair looked awful the day I used it. I used it over MOP c-curl defining cream, which I usually get great results from. :( Bummer.
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
  • CurlyLinZeeCurlyLinZee Posts: 462Registered Users
    Mountaincurl:
    Thanks for posting your pic and sharing your clipping secrets. I'm going to try that. I think I have one octopus clip in my bathroom arsenal. I have tons of the little ones...but I'm having problems figuring out how to style the crown hair before I clip it.

It's such a work-in-progress for me! I know once I finally find how I WANT to position my hair on top, then how to get it to stay where I want it, I'll have a routine I can do daily....but I'm still in the struggle/experiment mode.

I am making progress, though! My hair used to look pretty straight for the first few inches from the roots, and I'm getting a lot of curl up top now.

(I found I wasn't scrunching that section or getting much product in it--that's why it wasn't curling as much as the rest of my hair. DUH. I thought I just didn't have any curl potential in that hair. Not so.)
    Hair type: 2c/3a ii, medium/coarse, desert hair
    Cleansers: CJ Daily Fix
    Conditioners: CJ Beauticurls Argan Oil, Tresemme
    Leave-In Conditioners: CJ BCLI
    Deep Conditioners: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Deep Fix, SS DDMT
    Stylers:
    KCCC
    Holding Gels: CJ Curl Queen
    Pomade: Jane Carter N&S
    Hair Likes: agave nectar, oils of any kind