We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Can I go blonde?

ILovejuiceboxesILovejuiceboxes Posts: 50Registered Users
My hair is in a super weird stage right now. When I got my hair cut, the lady put in a deep conditioner that was WAY too strong for my hair. While some of it has grown out (the top of it is curlier than ever), the bottom half would be lucky to even e called wavy. I was looking around at hair colors. I recently dyed my hair red, but it literally washed out the minute I stepped in the water. I asked a few friends what they thought I should try next (I'm very experienced at it for my age. Dyed my hair seven times now.) and most of them said blonde.
I thought about it and asked my mom and dad. They thought about it and said I would look really good blonde. And so, I'm now pretty sure that it'll be what I do next. I want to do the usual semi-permanent so that roots won't be an issue unless I love the color. I found one I liked- I' thinking Natural Instincts, Sunflower- and I might want to go and get it dyed. But, there's a few issues-
a. My hair might not be able to handle it.
b. I've never actually bleached my hair before, so I don't know what to expect.
c. Since I would be getting it professionally done, it would be expansive. I want to know it's a wise decision before I do it.
So yeah. Suggestions?
My hair is stubborn. What I thought would help me only resulted in horrible, damaged hair. Straightening my hair is now the only reasonable thing I can do. So, I am no longer CG. Not until my hair gets fixed.
Goal- Long, shiny locks! Currently shoulder length when curly. Goal is to reach around right below chest area. Wish me luck! :)

Comments

• Jelly.ViJelly.Vi Posts: 103Registered Users
    a. My hair might not be able to handle it.
    b. I've never actually bleached my hair before, so I don't know what to expect.
    c. Since I would be getting it professionally done, it would be expansive. I want to know it's a wise decision before I do it.
    So yeah. Suggestions?

a. You and only you know what your hair can handle, think about it long and hard!
    b. Bleaching is definately a lot harsher than normal coloring, burns a lot more, faster, over all just worse on hair. ;P
    c. If you DO decide to do it, make sure you go to someone that is experienced in bleaching curly hair (since its more delicate) and knows how to do color correcting (since youve dyed other colors). When you bleach out black/reds, and its done wrong, you literally get, blonde>bright orange>auburn>dark red, all through the lengths, so get someone experienced unless you wanna look like a rainbow! Also, if the person doesnt know what theyre up against, the roots will process faster, and you could end up with ridiculously light roots, thatre very weak, and break off!

As for the after effects, my bleached bangs, are thinner, kinda dont clump all the time, just like kinda thin clumps, that might be the color? idk. but, they also frizz easier, and ends need more maintaining than normal colored ends. Its a pain in the butt, but worth it. (:

If you take care of em (PT, moisture, and particular attention to ends) you'll be fine. It is harder to maintain than regular coloring. So think about your invesment. You cant just throw a color back on there to hide it, damage damage damage!

All this from a 16 year old, who's dyed her hair from red, to brown, to black, red highlights, all black again, bleached in some blonde strips in bangs/back/sides, dyed them pink, threw on some color corrector, threw in a blonde haircolor to lighten base color, and did it again last month! Thats not even a whole year (; And not all of this was done professionally (Had 1st bleaching at teaching academy, i cried the whole ride home :C) So yeah, be careful! And think about the extra maintainence.
    ....I saw your pictures in the before/after thread. I think with your colored eyes and complexion, you should go with a nice lightish brown color. i think itd look a lot nicer and be a lot less harsh. Like acorns? uh.... that doesnt narrow it down very much LOL!

Like this color
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fimg1.ak.crunchyroll.com%2Fi%2Fspire3%2Fd238caf92937c981c7663182b4cf54851244516481_full.jpg" class="Popup
    would loook nice with your eyes (: just a suggestion~ maybe some lowlights. less damaging (:
  • ILovejuiceboxesILovejuiceboxes Posts: 50Registered Users
    Yeah, I have an idea of how damaging it is. I was getting ready to do it and then my mom just got me worried about how much it would cost if I messed up, how much my hair would suffer, and how she thought some girls might think I was skanky.
    And that's actually my exact natural hair color when it's straight. I took out all the dye in my hair for blonde. Just thought that it was a little ironic :)

But seriously, thanks. That's super helpful.
    My hair is stubborn. What I thought would help me only resulted in horrible, damaged hair. Straightening my hair is now the only reasonable thing I can do. So, I am no longer CG. Not until my hair gets fixed.
    Goal- Long, shiny locks! Currently shoulder length when curly. Goal is to reach around right below chest area. Wish me luck! :)
    Yeah, I have an idea of how damaging it is. I was getting ready to do it and then my mom just got me worried about how much it would cost if I messed up, how much my hair would suffer, and how she thought some girls might think I was skanky.
    And that's actually my exact natural hair color when it's straight. I took out all the dye in my hair for blonde. Just thought that it was a little ironic :)

But seriously, thanks. That's super helpful.

Lol! Yes. i was talking to my older sister, about going all blonde, and she was like "Youre gonna look like a little crackhead" LOL! Gotta love her (:

Id much rather go with 2+ colors, so im just gonna go with multi shades. Some blonde here and there. Much funner looking than one color. If my hair gets boring, i go into a cutting/dying rage!
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users
    I used to go from dark brown to blonde but could only do this with my hair 2 inches or shorter. If you are trying to grow it out I don't think it's a good idea, because it's almost impossible to re-color it so the growing out is very obvious; and it will damage the ends so much that they couldn't ever hold up as long hair.

But if you are just having fun with it and willing to cut it off later, I'd say yeah, go for it; it's just hair and it's nice to have a big change sometimes. And it is just hair, you can always cut it off and it will grow back.

Also good henna does an amazing shocking red over bleach, and it wouldn't wash out like red dye.....

I colored my hair from the time I was 12. Every color there is except natural color until I was about 22. And green, I never dyed it green. Then natural color, more or less, or red, from then on, never bleached it again.

Note for me to bleach up my hair, I had to do a 5 step process - 4 rounds of bleach and high volume peroxide, 2 hours each so that's 8 hours of bleach then color at the end, to get the orange all out. It is Really Resistant to being bleached and goes thru a lot of unpleasant colors on its way to blonde.

But I've bleached other people's hair that was as dark as mine, and it only took 15 minutes to go from dark to nearly white.

So it's hard to know how it will take to the bleach, you can't tell by the color of the hair.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file