Great cookie recipes

The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
Anyone have any? I'm not particular about the specific flavor at the moment. TIA
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• RebeccaKRebeccaK Registered Users Posts: 305 Curl Connoisseur
    I have tons - do you want easy or more involved? Gourmet? Do you want bar cookies or regular? I'll post a few of my favorites here, but have many more! :)

PS Add a 1/2 cup to 1 cup of heath toffee bits to any chocolate chip cookie recipe for a huge wow factor.

=========
    [FONT=&quot]S’mores Bars (9 x 13 pan)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]16 Tbls. butter (2 sticks), softened to room temperature
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 cup sugar
    2 large eggs
    2 tsps. vanilla
    2 2/3 cups flour
    1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (or about 14 full graham crackers, crushed)
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    4 large (4.4 oz.) chocolate bars
    3 cups marshmallow fluff (about 16-oz.)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Yields a 9-inch x 13-inch pan of bars[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Serves one. (Or more, if you feel like sharing.)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 9 x 13-inch square baking pan.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. Beat in egg and vanilla.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    In a small bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Add to butter mixture and mix at a low speed until combined. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Divide dough in half and press half of dough into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared pan. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Place chocolate bars over dough. Two 5 oz. Hershey’s bars should fit perfectly side by side, but break the chocolate (if necessary) to get it to fit in a single layer no more than 1/4 inch thick. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Spread marshmallow fluff evenly over the chocolate layer. (I reversed this and put marshmallow first – made it much easier to put top layer on)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Place remaining dough in a single layer on top of the fluff. This is most easily done by putting the second half of the dough in a gallon size freezer bag. Use your palms to flatten it out, and then use scissors to cut down both long sides of the bag, so it will open up book-style. Open it up carefully, and the dough will stick on one side of the bag. Then place the bag, dough side down, on the other three layers. From there peel the bag up and spread the dough where it is uneven.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting into bars[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]==================[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]EASY peanut butter cup cookies[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]INGREDIENTS:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 package of refrigerator peanut butter cookie dough, can use sugar cookie [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (Pillsbury “Simple” brand is sold already sliced, cut each slice in half, otherwise cut a 'tube' of refrigerator dough into 12 slices, then cut each in half)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]24 frozen miniature peanut butter cups[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 mini muffin tin (works best if you spray lightly with cooking spray)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]DIRECTIONS:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Preheat oven to 350*[/FONT]

- [FONT=&quot]Roll cookie dough into 24 balls (can roll in granulated sugar if desired)[/FONT]
    - [FONT=&quot]Place in mini muffin tin[/FONT]
    - [FONT=&quot]Bake for 8 – 12 minutes (might need more, but they can get too dark VERY quickly)[/FONT]
    - [FONT=&quot]Unwrap the frozen peanut butter cups while cookies bake[/FONT]
    - [FONT=&quot]When cookies are done, quickly press one peanut butter cup into the center of each cookie[/FONT]
    - [FONT=&quot]Let cool thoroughly (put muffin tin in refrigerator after the pan cools, because the chocolate takes a long time to re-solidify)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]==========[/FONT]
    Rolo Pretzel Turtles

Rolos
    Mini “waffle” pretzels (round or square)
    Toasted pecans
    Peanut M&Ms
    Honey roasted peanuts
    Any other items you feel would be good pressed on top of the Rolo/pretzel combination

Preheat oven to 220 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil. Place the pretzels on the cookie sheet and top with one Rolo each. Bake for three minutes. Remove from the oven and press on topping of choice. Then slide the foil onto the counter and let the chocolate set up. For faster set up, you can move the pan with the candy to the freezer or refrigerator, and chill until firm.

Notes: To toast pecans, spread them out on a plate and microwave for 30 seconds at a time. Stir the pecans between cooking times until toasted. Or, heat gently in a nonstick pan until toasted (but not burnt).
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    I have tons - do you want easy or more involved? Gourmet? Do you want bar cookies or regular? I'll post a few of my favorites here, but have many more! :icon_smile:
    Ooh! I'd love any kind of recipe you could provide! Easy, involved, gourmet...Thank you for the ones above!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    Here's more, they are all "tried and true". The best one (in my opinion) is the last one, the "Almond Cream Confections". Impressive looking and amazingly good, more like candy than cookies. Easier to do with a picture, so let me know if you want me to scan the photo that came with the recipe....

==========
    BIG CHEWY OATMEAL-RAISIN COOKIES
    [FONT=&quot](These have many variations, I like "mine" the best, it's listed first after the recipe!)
    Makes 16 to 20 large cookies

2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened but still firm
    1 cup light brown sugar
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    3 cups rolled oats
    1 1/2 cups raisins (optional)

1. Adjust oven racks to low and middle positions; heat oven to 350 degrees. In bowl of electric mixer or by hand, beat butter until creamy. Add sugars; beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time.

2. Mix flour, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg together, then stir them into butter-sugar mixture with wooden spoon or large rubber spatula. Stir in oats and optional raisins.

3. Form dough into sixteen to twenty 2-inch balls, placing each dough round onto one of two parchment paper–covered, large cookie sheets. Bake until cookie edges turn golden brown, 22 to 25 minutes. (Halfway during baking, turn cookie sheets from front to back and also switch them from top to bottom.) Slide cookies on parchment onto cooling rack. Let cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
    [/FONT]

APRICOT, PECAN, and CHOCOLATE CHIP

Substitute 1 ½ (or 2) cups of a combined chopped dried apricot, chopped pecans, and mini chocolate chip (do portions to taste) for the raisins.[FONT=&quot]

DATE OATMEAL COOKIES

Substitute 1 1/2 cups chopped dates for the raisins.

GINGER OATMEAL COOKIES

Omit raisins and add 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger.

CHOCOLATE CHIP OATMEAL COOKIES

Substitute 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips for the raisins.

NUT OATMEAL COOKIES

Omit raisins, decrease flour to 1 1/3 cups, and add 1/4 cup ground almonds and 1 cup walnut pieces along with oats. Almonds can be ground in food processor or blender.

ORANGE AND ALMOND OATMEAL COOKIES

Omit raisins and add 2 tablespoons minced orange zest (remove zest with peeler, being careful to leave behind any white pith) and 1 cup toasted chopped almonds (toast almonds in 350-degree oven for 5 minutes) along with oats.
    [/FONT]
    ==========
    CHOCOLATE PIXIES

INGREDIENTS:

1/4 cup butter
    4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
    2 cups white sugar
    3 egg
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup granulated sugar for decoration (some recipes suggest confectioner’s sugar but I’ve never used it) DIRECTIONS:
    1. Melt butter and chocolate together over low heat or in the microwave.
    2. In a medium bowl, mix eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in melted chocolate mixture. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir dry ingredients into the egg mixture by hand until well blended. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
    3. Preheat oven to 300 degrees (150 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
    4. Shape rounded teaspoonfuls into balls and roll in confectioners' sugar. Place cookies 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until firm to touch.
    ============
    [FONT=&quot]Thick and Chewy M&M Cookie Bars[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Makes 24 bars [FONT=&quot]

Ingredients:
    2 cups, plus 2 T. all-purpose flour[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (spoon the flour into the measuring cups and level off with a knife)
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ tsp baking soda
    12 T. butter, melted and cooled slightly
    1 cup light brown sugar
    ½ cup granulated sugar
    1 large egg
    1 large egg yolk
    2 tsp vanilla [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]15 oz bag of M&M’s[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Directions:[FONT=&quot]

Preheat the oven to 325°F and place the rack in the lower-middle section. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Line a 9X13” pan with foil and grease the foil with baking spray or softened butter.

Melt the butter and set it aside to cool slightly.

Whisk the flour, salt and baking soda together in a small bowl and set aside.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Put both the sugars (and vanilla sugar if using) in a large mixing bowl. Pour the butter in and whisk together until well combined. Add the egg and egg yolk and whisk well again.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Dump the flour mixture into the batter and mix together with a rubber spatula until just combined and a thick, soft dough is formed. Do not over-mix it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Add 1 heaping cup of M&M’s and mix them in to distribute evenly throughout the dough.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Dump the dough onto the foil lined pan and spread out evenly. Spread the remaining M&M's over the top and press them down into the dough a little.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bake up to 28 minutes until it just begins to brown and the sides begin to pull away from the edges of the pan. The center will still be soft, but the residual heat will continue to cook it after it comes out of the oven.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Let cool in pan on wire rack or grab foil and transfer onto kitchen towel (prevents some of the further cooking, to keep the cookies soft). May cause some cracking on top. [/FONT]
    ============
    ALMOND CREAM CONFECTIONS

1/2 C. butter
    1/4 C. sugar
    2 T. cocoa powder
    2 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 egg, slightly beaten

1 C. slivered almonds, toasted and chopped
    1 3/4 C. vanilla wafer crumbs
    1/2 C. flaked coconut (I usually leave out the coconut)

Cream filling

2 (1 oz.) squares semisweet chocolate

Combine first 6 ingredients in a heavy saucepan; cook over low heat,
    stirring constantly, until butter melts and mixture begins to thicken.

Remove from heat; add almonds, vanilla wafer crumbs, and coconut, stirring
    well. Press firmly into an ungreased 9-inch square pan; cover and chill.

Spread Cream Filling over almond mixture; cover and chill.

Cut into 1 1/2-inch squares. Remove from pan, and place about 1/2 inch apart
    on a baking sheet.

Place chocolate in a zip-top heavy-duty plastic bag; seal. Submerge in hot
    water until chocolate melts. Snip a tiny hole in end of bag with scissors;
    drizzle over Cream Filling. Makes 3 dozen.

Cream Filling
    1/3 C. butter, softened
    3 to 4 T. milk
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
    3 C. sifted confectioners' sugar

Cream butter at high speed of electric mixer. Add milk and vanilla extract.
    Slowly add sugar; mix until smooth.
    Here's another - these are always a huge hit! I love the cookies that are easy to make but bring a big 'wow' factor with them. =)

[FONT=&quot]Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
    1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot](using a combination of dark cocoa powder and regular works well with this recipe)
    1/4 t baking soda
    1/4 t baking powder
    1/4 t salt
    1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
    1 c sugar
    1 egg
    1 1/2 t vanilla
    48 maraschino cherries (about 2 10-oz jars), juice reserved
    1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1/4 c sweetened condensed milk

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder & salt together, set aside.

In a mixer beat the butter until softened. Add the sugar to the butter & beat until light & fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Add the flour mixture & beat until well mixed.

Roll the dough into 1-inch balls & place them 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheets. Use your thumb to make an indentation in the center of each cookie.

Drain the cherries reserving the juice. Remove the stems (if present) & cut the cherries in half. Place 1/2 of a cherry into the indentation in each cookie.

Put the chocolate chips & condensed milk in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until the chocolate is melted. Stir in 4 teaspoons of the cherry juice. Spoon 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of chocolate over the top of each cherry, smoothing it until covered completely. If the chocolate is too thick add a little more cherry juice.

Bake for 10 minutes & cool on a rack.

Makes 48 cookies

These cookies will freeze well. Individually freeze them on a cookie sheet. Once frozen place them in a box with wax paper between layers then back into the freezer.[/FONT]
    Oh thank you! Those Oatmeal cookies are sounding pur-tee good to me and the M&Ms ones too! I'm very intrigued by the Almond Creme cookies...
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

The oatmeal ones are heaven. Crispy on the outside, chewy inside. And I have no idea where I got the apricot/pecan/mini chocolate chip combo idea from but it definitely gourmet's it up LOL

Had some issues trying to scan the pic, hope it shows up. No idea of the source, someone gave it to me years ago. These are pretty easy considering how impressive they are, not just in looks but they taste amazing!
    RebeccaK wrote: »
    The oatmeal ones are heaven. Crispy on the outside, chewy inside. And I have no idea where I got the apricot/pecan/mini chocolate chip combo idea from but it definitely gourmet's it up LOL

Had some issues trying to scan the pic, hope it shows up. No idea of the source, someone gave it to me years ago. These are pretty easy considering how impressive they are, not just in looks but they taste amazing!
    Oh Lord! You said the magic words! That's my favorite kind of cookie: crispy/chewy. I'm making those!

And the pic cinched it for the almond ones too. Woot! Thanks, RK! I'll let you know how they turn out. I got a cookie exchange coming up.

:toothy8:
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

Oh, that sounds like fun! You've got to do the chocolate covered cherry cookies for a cookie exchange.

You'll have to post if you get some interesting ones in exchange for yours!

I'm thinking of a couple others - one is from my mom's ancient Betty Crocker cookbook, it'd be great for a holiday exchange because you could tint the cream filling.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/cream-wafers/a12c2f63-6bbd-402d-b67b-d99ae3d86aba

And, truffles are always great... I really want to try these (would partner so well with the traditional chocolate ones) but haven't yet.

White chocolate lemon truffles

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup of white chocolate, such as Ghirardelli white chips
    5 Tbsp. unsalted butter
    3 Tbsp. heavy cream
    Pinch of salt
    1 tsp. Lemon extract
    Powdered sugar, for rolling/dusting
    (variations: toasted finely chopped pecans, cocoa powder, toasted sweetened or unsweetened coconut flakes)
    1 lemon for zesting if you like
    • Bring a pot of water to a boil on the stove top.
    • Melt the chocolate, butter and cream over the double boiler while stirring or use glass bowl over simmering water. Stir continuously while melting to prevent burning.
    • Once melted, remove from the heat and stir in the salt and extract.
    • Allow to cool a bit before covering it with plastic wrap, refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
    • With a mellon baller or spoon, scoop out the mixture and form into balls (they won’t be perfect, and will start to melt/stick in hands). Roll the balls in the powdered sugar and set a cookie sheet. Can zest lemon over the tops to indicate their flavor.
    • Store these covered in the fridge for up to a week or store these in the freezer for longer storage.
    Recipe makes about 24 truffles
  • spring1onuspring1onu Registered Users Posts: 16,528 Curl Connoisseur
    The almond creme and oatmeal cookies are on my list to try, they sound SO good!

I made so many batches of these last year that I'm ashamed to even think about how many I ate! It's a shortbread with cranberries and pecans, super easy and so yum!

Cranberry Noels
    [FONT=&quot]Ingredients[/FONT]

1 cup (2 sticks)butter
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 Tbsp milk
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    3/4 cup chopped dried cranberries
    1/2 cup chopped pecans

[FONT=&quot]Directions[/FONT]

1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add milk and vanilla. Beat until just combined. With mixer on low, gradually add flour, salt, cranberries and pecans, continue beating until fully combined.

2. Turn dough out onto a clean work surface and divide into 2 equal pieces. Shape each piece into an 8-in log about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap logs in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.

3. Preheat oven to 375 F. Using a sharp knife, cut logs into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets, about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake until edges are golden 14-16 minutes (mine were done in 12 minutes), rotating baking sheets halfway through. Remove from oven, and transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
    Wow, those Cranberry Noels sound amazing - I've never done a shortbread cookie. Isn't shortbread supposed to be difficult to do? Or am I thinking of something else?

I spent all day today baking/cooking for tomorrow morning (we all take turns signing up to bring treats on a Monday) and these would have been a nice addition. So I copied, pasted, and tagged it on my computer for when I start hunting for ideas next year!

I think I've got plenty for tomorrow by this point anyway! =)
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    for spring1onu (and anyone else who wants it!) -

I make approx 100 dozen cookies every xmas, 5 or 6 of the same ones year after year, with a few different ones thrown in here and there. Of all the ones I've ever made, Italian Wedding Cookies are by far the favorite, always, every year, by everyone. I will make over 25 dozen of these this year and it still won't be enough. Like many Italian cookies, they are a dry cookie (for dunking in coffee) and they keep for a long long time. The recipe looks long and involved, and they do take some time but they are fun to make and worth the time. Get the SO or kids to help. I've been making these with my parents every xmas for most of my life.

ITALIAN WEDDING COOKIES (from jeepcurlygurl's family to yours)
    Cover large counter or table surface with freezer paper. Mix up icing first so it's ready when the cookies are done.
    Icing-
    with mixer-
    1 bag powdered sugar
    approx 1/2 cup milk (plus more if icing thickens too much)
    2 tsp oil
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp lemon extract
    beat until fairly stiff (it should still drip tho), put in separate smaller bowls, add food coloring.

Cookie dough -
    With standing mixer (large size bowl) -mix together well-
    2 cups sugar 1 dozen eggs
    add 1 at a time and mix well-1 cup corn oil
    1 cup margarine
    4 Tbl baking powder
    2 Tbl vanilla
    1 Tbl lemon extract (or orange)
    flour (approx 10+ cups)

add flour until dough starts to get heavy, if mixing bowl is full, pour dough into larger bowl and add more flour by hand until dough is light (not stiff) and able to be molded with hands DO NOT KNEAD DOUGH, it will make dough too tough.

take walnut-size pieces of dough, roll between hands into a log approx 4 inches long, wrap around finger into a mound (like a snail shell).
    Bake at 375° til just starting to brown (10 min. do not let these get too brown)
    As soon as they are done, dump them out on the table surface to cool a little.

When cookies are still slightly warm dip finger in icing and swirl over top of cookie, sprinkle with colored suger or candies.
    Icing might get dry on the top as you wait for more cookies to bake. Just stir it and it will be fine. Add more milk if it thickens too much.

After cookies are completely cooled and icing is totally dry, put in containers. These cookies stay good for many weeks, even when stale.

Makes approx 13+ doz. Recipe can easily be cut down to make a smaller batch.

Here's a batch I made this summer for a class reunion. The school colors are red and black, so no these aren't too Christmasy! : )
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    RebeccaK - They're super easy and not fussy at all! That's why I ended up making SO many last holiday season, it's just too easy to whip up a batch.

Jeep, those sounds fan-freakin-tastic! I should enlist DH to help with those, I don't think he's ever made any type of cookie. Thank you again for posting the recipe. :love10:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • SariaSaria New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 15,963
    Shortbread is very easy to do. The main thing is that you want no air going into it, which is why it kills me when shortbread recipes say to beat until light and fluffy. That's the first no-no of shortbread and I see a lot of recipes for shortbread and sables that erroneously give those directions. I'd say spring's recipe isn't so much shortbread as a butter cookie though. Similar, but not quite the same.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Here's more, they are all "tried and true". The best one (in my opinion) is the last one, the "Almond Cream Confections". Impressive looking and amazingly good, more like candy than cookies. Easier to do with a picture, so let me know if you want me to scan the photo that came with the recipe....

==========
    [FONT=&quot](These have many variations, I like "mine" the best, it's listed first after the recipe!)

1 cup light brown sugar
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 cups rolled oats

1. Adjust oven racks to low and middle positions; heat oven to 350 degrees. In bowl of electric mixer or by hand, beat butter until creamy. Add sugars; beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time.

2. Mix flour, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg together, then stir them into butter-sugar mixture with wooden spoon or large rubber spatula. Stir in oats and optional raisins.

3. Form dough into sixteen to twenty 2-inch balls, placing each dough round onto one of two parchment paper–covered, large cookie sheets. Bake until cookie edges turn golden brown, 22 to 25 minutes. (Halfway during baking, turn cookie sheets from front to back and also switch them from top to bottom.) Slide cookies on parchment onto cooling rack. Let cool at least 30 minutes before serving.[/FONT]
    Dang, I think I overbaked the oatmeal cookies. Plus, I forgot the raisins AND my baking powder was a year old. Sigh... The cookies taste very good though. I'm baking another batch tomorrow!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

Made these last night and they were pretty tasty. They're not overly sweet, just right, and are a cakey brownie like cookie. I made a couple of adjustments noted in parentheses.

Mocha Crinkles
    · 1/3 cup butter, softened
    · 1 cup packed brown sugar
    · 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    · 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules (I used instant espresso powder)
    · 1 teaspoon baking soda
    · 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    · 2 egg whites
    · 1/3 cup vanilla yogurt
    · 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    · 1/4 cup granulated sugar
    Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Beat butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the brown sugar, cocoa powder, coffee granules, baking soda, and cinnamon. Beat until combined, scraping sides of the bowl occasionally.

Beat in egg whites and yogurt until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour with a wooden spoon.

Place granulated sugar in a small bowl. Drop dough by heaping teaspoons into sugar and roll into balls. Roll again in sugar.

Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased (use a silpat or parchment, they stick!) cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm. Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool.

Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature up to 1 week or freeze up to 3 months.
    Makes about 32

Crappy cell phone picture :D
    mocha%20crinkle.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    spring1onu, you don't like coffee much, do you?? : )
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    spring1onu, you don't like coffee much, do you?? : )

Of course not! *wink, wink*

I don't know what happened to me, I started drinking it about 6 years ago one winter because I was cold...and here I am addicted! :lol:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dang, I think I overbaked the oatmeal cookies. Plus, I forgot the raisins AND my baking powder was a year old. Sigh... The cookies taste very good though. I'm baking another batch tomorrow![/quote]

Ah, the story of my life! Hope the next batch turns out well. These are truly outstanding!
    Dang, I think I overbaked the oatmeal cookies. Plus, I forgot the raisins AND my baking powder was a year old. Sigh... The cookies taste very good though. I'm baking another batch tomorrow!
    Ah, the story of my life! Hope the next batch turns out well. These are truly outstanding!
    The second batch turned out GREAT! Thanks so much, Rebecca! These really are delicious. I figured out what did wrong yesterday; I used 3 cups of flour rather than 1.5 cups. :oops: My dilemma with cookies is usually that they taste flat. THESE are anything but flat. I might use the basic dough recipe (sans oatmeal/raisins) as my basic cookie recipe from now on. It would make a mean chocolate chip cookie too!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

Phoenix wrote: »
    The second batch turned out GREAT! Thanks so much, Rebecca! These really are delicious. I figured out what did wrong yesterday; I used 3 cups of flour rather than 1.5 cups. :oops: My dilemma with cookies is usually that they taste flat. THESE are anything but flat. I might use the basic dough recipe (sans oatmeal/raisins) as my basic cookie recipe from now on. It would make a mean chocolate chip cookie too!

All right! It's a Cook's Illustrated recipe so that is usually a sure thing. You will have to post about the chocolate chip cookies if you use it for those!

I love the cook's illustrated chocolate chip cookie recipe, too.... it's so easy with the melted butter. I always use chocolate chunks, and rarely follow the special 'cookie shaping' instructions. Also, adding heath toffee chips to these definitely puts them over the top!

Cook's Illustrated
    Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Makes 1 1/2 dozen 3‐inch cookies. Published January 1, 1996.

These truly chewy chocolate chip cookies are delicious served warm from the oven
    or cooled. To ensure a chewy texture, leave the cookies on the cookie sheet to cool.
    You can substitute white, milk chocolate, or peanut butter chips for the semi‐ or
    bittersweet chips called for in the recipe. In addition to chips, you can flavor the
    dough with one cup of nuts, raisins, or shredded coconut.

Ingredients
    2 1/8 cups bleached all‐purpose flour (about 10 1/2 ounces)
    1/2 teaspoon table salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted and cooled slightly
    1 cup brown sugar (light or dark), 7 ounces
    1/2 cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
    1 large egg
    1 large egg yolk
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 ‐ 2 cups chocolate chips or chunks (semi or bittersweet)

Instructions

1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Adjust oven racks to upper‐ and lower‐middle positions. Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

2. Either by hand or with electric mixer, mix butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Mix in egg, yolk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients; mix until just combined. Stir in chips.

3. Following illustrations below, form scant 1/4 cup dough into ball. Place formed dough onto one of two parchment paper‐lined 20‐by‐14‐inch lipless
    cookie sheets, about nine dough balls per sheet. Smaller cookie sheets can be used, but fewer cookies can be baked at one time and baking time may need to be adjusted. (Dough can be refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 month—shaped or not.)

4. Bake, reversing cookie sheets’ positions halfway through baking, until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft and puffy, 15 to 18 minutes (start checking at 13 minutes). (Frozen dough requires an extra 1 to 2 minutes baking time.) Cool cookies on cookie sheets. Serve or store in airtight container.

Step‐by‐Step
    Shaping Thick Chocolate Chip Cookies

1. Creating a jagged surface on each dough ball gives the finished cookies an attractive appearance. Start by rolling a scant 1/4 cup of dough into a smooth ball.

2. Holding the dough ball in the fingertips of both hands, pull the dough apart into two equal halves.

3. Each half will have a jagged surface where it was ripped from the other. Rotate each piece 90 degrees so that the jagged edge faces up.

4. Press the halves back together into one ball so that the top surface remains jagged.
  • SariaSaria New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 15,963
    If your cookies taste flat, perhaps you haven't used enough salt in your cookie baking. The oatmeal cookie recipe there is a pretty standard oatmeal cookie recipe. Standard because it works, not to say it's not a tasty recipe. I can't imagine it would be that different unless previously you didn't have salt in your dough, or didn't use butter, or used too little sugar (or too much to the point that they just tasted sweet).
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Saria wrote: »
    If your cookies taste flat, perhaps you haven't used enough salt in your cookie baking. The oatmeal cookie recipe there is a pretty standard oatmeal cookie recipe. Standard because it works, not to say it's not a tasty recipe. I can't imagine it would be that different unless previously you didn't have salt in your dough, or didn't use butter, or used too little sugar (or too much to the point that they just tasted sweet).
    I definitely used salt and butter. One time I even added some butter flavoring into my cookie dough. It was still blah. I have no idea what the problem was. I couldn't see how the above recipe was much different than what I've followed before, but it tastes much, much better.

Rebecca~

Thanks for the ccc recipe. I might use that, as I have another 6 dozen cookies to make by tomorrow evening. And I have some Almond Creme Confections chilling in the fridge as I type.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

Phoenix wrote: »

Rebecca~

Thanks for the ccc recipe. I might use that, as I have another 6 dozen cookies to make by tomorrow evening. And I have some Almond Creme Confections chilling in the fridge as I type.

Oh, Yum! The BEST best part of the Almond Confections is when you cut them into squares you just *have* to cut around all the edges to make them look pretty, which leaves lots of edges to nibble on.

Wow, 6 dozen is a lot of cookies to make! =) I have never done a cookie exchange but I would imagine it would get kind of tedious after a while.

Just a note, the cc recipe doesn't make a lot, even if you reduce the size of the dough balls from the recipe.
  • EmmaJJEmmaJJ Registered Users Posts: 10
    orange zest cookie
    4 cups flour
    1 and a half cup sugar
    1 cup non flavor yogurt
    4 tablespoons semolina flour
    2 sticks of butter
    2 egg yolks only
    zest of 2 oranges
    a pinch of salt
    a splash of vanilla
  • AisleyAisley Registered Users Posts: 4
    Hello RebeccaK.Thanks for sharing such a nice recipe here.i will try to make it at home because i love to eat cookies.No doubt it is a tasty recipe of cookies.
  • solidgoldsolidgold Detroit, MIRegistered Users Posts: 1,485 Curl Neophyte
    ==========

1 cup light brown sugar
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 cups rolled oats

3. Form dough into sixteen to twenty 2-inch balls, placing each dough round onto one of two parchment paper–covered, large cookie sheets. Bake until cookie edges turn golden brown, 22 to 25 minutes. (Halfway during baking, turn cookie sheets from front to back and also switch them from top to bottom.) Slide cookies on parchment onto cooling rack. Let cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
    [/FONT]

Just made these cookies. Delicious, crispy, and chewy! I sprinkled some sea salt over the tops of the cookies before baking for more salt flavor. Thanks for a great recipe!
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
    What a great idea with the salt - I've always wanted to try Maldon salt, and I bet it'd be great on these cookies. ("borrowing" this person's blog link because of the great pictures of the salt flakes)

I love salt … Maldon si grazie! | TheGustibus: Cibo e Dintorni
    And... the salt made me think of those caramel chips I've seen in the baking isles. Putting those into the oatmeal cookies, plus maybe some dark chocolate chips, and the salt on top... I may just have to try this!
  • solidgoldsolidgold Detroit, MIRegistered Users Posts: 1,485 Curl Neophyte
    If you have a Sur La Table near you, they sell a flaky sea salt that is beautiful.
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
    Just made these cookies. Delicious, crispy, and chewy! I sprinkled some sea salt over the tops of the cookies before baking for more salt flavor. Thanks for a great recipe!
    Fabulous idea! I gotta do this!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file