Trying to Grow out my Hair

KylieLynchKylieLynch Registered Users Posts: 4
I have 3b-ish hair that I'm trying to grow out. I'm a competitive swimmer so my hair is constantly in chlorine. My hair length is about my shoulder length when dry. It has been about a year and my hair has only grown about an inch. Is there anything I can do to make my hair grow faster? I am also a vegetarian so is this a sign of a nutrition deficiency?

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 30
    I'm a vegetarinan too and my hair grows like a weed. So I don't think it's that. Sometimes people's hair grows really slowly but an inch in one year sounds a little suspicious to me. I'm not really sure on how to fix that but a way that really works for me is to message my scalp every day. It seems so simple but it really works for me. I tryed Biotin and it didn't really work because after I bought it I realized it was only for attaining healthy hair not growing out hair, Dhuuu.
    So my advise would be to make sure your hair is moisturized and when your not swimming to put it in protective hair styles. Then gently massage your whole scalp before you go to bed or just throughout your day. Hope this helped!
    3b Hair and absolutely love every minute of it! I've gone from 1 inch hair to 30 inches and everywhere in between! :cyclops:

Conditioner: Say Yes To Tomatoes
    Leave-in/Conditioner: Burt's Bees More Moisture
    Gel: L.A. Looks Curl

Last relaxer: June 26, 2010
    Big Chop/Hair cut: July 29, 2010
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    KylieLynch wrote: »
    I have 3b-ish hair that I'm trying to grow out. I'm a competitive swimmer so my hair is constantly in chlorine. My hair length is about my shoulder length when dry. It has been about a year and my hair has only grown about an inch. Is there anything I can do to make my hair grow faster? I am also a vegetarian so is this a sign of a nutrition deficiency?

Has your hair only grown an inch, or have you only retained an inch of hair growth? Chlorine is very hard on the hair & it is one of the reasons why I had trouble growing my hair while I was swimming on a regular basis.
  • KylieLynchKylieLynch Registered Users Posts: 4
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I'm a vegetarinan too and my hair grows like a weed. So I don't think it's that. Sometimes people's hair grows really slowly but an inch in one year sounds a little suspicious to me. I'm not really sure on how to fix that but a way that really works for me is to message my scalp every day. It seems so simple but it really works for me. I tryed Biotin and it didn't really work because after I bought it I realized it was only for attaining healthy hair not growing out hair, Dhuuu.
    So my advise would be to make sure your hair is moisturized and when your not swimming to put it in protective hair styles. Then gently massage your whole scalp before you go to bed or just throughout your day. Hope this helped!

Thanks for your advice! I think that it only seems like I've grown an inch because of the way my hair curls. I have also started to put conditioner in my hair before swimming to prevent as much damage.
  • julesbbjulesbb Registered Users Posts: 11
    are you getting enough protein? if you are a swimmer and do so more than a few times a week, you need it. consume anywhere from .5-1.5 grams of protein per pound you weigh a day. if you arent drinking shakes or eating bars, you may need to. vegetarians usually have trouble getting vitamin B as well as protein. also make sure you dont rely on only beans and rice for your protein. get it from a variety of sources.
  • SailaSaila Registered Users Posts: 1,212 Curl Neophyte

Thanks for your advice! I think that it only seems like I've grown an inch because of the way my hair curls. I have also started to put conditioner in my hair before swimming to prevent as much damage.

Do you mean your hair is shrinking a lot when it dries?
  • KylieLynchKylieLynch Registered Users Posts: 4
    Saila wrote: »

Do you mean your hair is shrinking a lot when it dries?

Yes, that is what I meant. I straitened it recently and realized how much longer it seemed then when it's natural.
  • SailaSaila Registered Users Posts: 1,212 Curl Neophyte
    Hmm. If you don't like shrinkage you could try "setting" your hair in braids, or using clips to weigh your hair down so it remains stretched when it dries. Does that make sense?
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Registered Users Posts: 1,084 Curl Neophyte
    One thing that I really like to do when I swim is to give myself a deep conditioning treatment at the same time. I condition my hair after washing it, put on a long hair swim cap, and then go swimming. Afterwards I simply rinse out the conditioner and bam! Clean, moisturized, soft hair. Are you allowed to wear swim caps when you swim? (I don't know if you're on a team or anything).

Simply putting conditioner in your hair while you swim is progress, though. Try a good multivitamin if you're worried about proper nutrients. Make sure your ends aren't a hot mess.

That's all I got. Haha.
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file