Tina at William Mason Salon in Prattville, Alabama (warning, large pics!)

musicaleloquencemusicaleloquence Posts: 112Registered Users
Hey, y'all!

A month ago or so I posted looking for a hairstylist in central Alabama, because I believed that the (amazing) stylist that had cut my hair before was no longer at the salon I went to. I was mistaken! Happy day! :D

So, I went to William Mason Salon, which is an Aveda concepts salon. No silicones, but I believe their shampoos are low-poos. I didn't mind, a low-poo every once in a while for me isn't a big deal.

Tina has curly hair that she wears very proudly, and she's from my hometown, so we're able to talk about crazy Alabama people while she's doing her thing, which is an awesome bonus for me. :)

I walked in on Tuesday morning at around 9 and asked if Tina had any slots open that day, and I was told to come back at 10:30. The desk staff were all very nice and friendly, although their computer database did say that I'd never been there before (not true, but they fixed that for me).

I came back at 10:30 and was promptly offered hot tea, coffee, and water. I went to Tina's work area and showed her a few pictures of what I had in mind. My hair had been getting too long and bulky at the bottom and it really just needed shaping up badly. We hashed it out for a few minutes until I was comfortable that we had the same thing in mind. Tina was very open to my suggestions and was more than ready to accommodate me. She showed me where she would cut so that my hair hit where I wanted it to when dry (just above my shoulders). She did make sure I knew it would look a little longer when straight, but as I never wear my hair straight, that wasn't a problem. She did not cut a dry guide, but that honestly wasn't an issue with me because she really was sure of where she would be cutting.

I went back to the hair washing station, where a young woman did an excellent job of washing my hair. She was very nice and humored me when I got the giggles- my scalp is a little ticklish. :)

From there, I went back to Tina, who proceeded to take her time cutting my hair. One thing I really love about this salon is that you never feel rushed. You never feel like you're taking up too much time or that the stylist is in a hurry with you.

All in all, the cut took about twenty minutes or so. While she was cutting, she was explaining everything she was doing, and why. We also talked about care for curly hair and what we like to use in our hair. It was nice to talk to a curly face to face since we don't have many down here that are willing to ditch 'cones and sulfates. She told me about every product she put in my hair and I felt very comfortable with the ingredients.

After the cut was finished, she asked how I wanted it styled. Since I normally wear my hair in it's naturally curly state and never do anything else, she asked if I wanted something different. I told her to go wild. So she used a round brush and a hair dryer to achieve a soft curl at the bottom of my hair with relatively straight hair the rest of the way. There was lots of body and movement and I really liked it, though I'm not sure I have the patience to do that in the morning by myself.

After the style was done, I thanked her and paid. The wash, cut & dry was $45 even, and I gave her a $15 tip.

All in all, another wonderful experience with Tina at William Mason.

Pics:

Day of cut, with the round brush styling. I like this, but it's a lot of work.
newold120.jpg

Day after the cut, back to curly. I really like the shape.

newold123.jpg

So that's it. I highly recommend Tina at William Mason to any curly or wavy out there in central Alabama. I feel the pricing is fair, and the quality of products, services, and people there is absolutely fantastic.
Hairtype: 3a/b, normal elasticity, low porosity, medium thick & fine- my hair can't get enough protein!

*****HG Routine*****
Cleanse: Care Cure Conditioner
LI: Biolage Conditioning Balm (not very often used anymore, really)
Styling: Eco Style Protein Gel and a diffuser (pixiecurl method).

event.png

Comments

• Erin14040Erin14040 Posts: 53Registered Users
    Great to know! I just drove to Birmingham for a cut. We moved to P'ville from the Charlotte, NC area and I have been driving back home to get cuts. I've always flat ironed my hair and just started embracing the curl a month ago. (I'm only a 2b/C-ish)
    Wonder how she'd do with someone that doesn't have as strong of a curl.
    It would be nice to drive 5 minutes vs an hour(which was WAY better than the 6 hours I've been driving)....although I ADORE the girl I went to in Birmingham.
    I drive by WM all the time and have always wondered if it was a good place to visit.
  • musicaleloquencemusicaleloquence Posts: 112Registered Users
    Hi Erin,

I suggest WM to everyone!! I think Tina would do a great job with any curl pattern, and she's great about making sure you get exactly what you want out of your cut. My hair was a hot mess when I walked in and she sorted me out well.

If you go, I hope you'll post your review too.

As an aside, I've had other hairdressers at WM and as good as they are, I personally like the way Tina addresses my hair over others there. It could be personal prejudice on my part, but that's just my experience.

It's always great to find curlies in my area, if you need any info about the town or anything, feel free to PM me.

Have a great weekend! :D
    Hairtype: 3a/b, normal elasticity, low porosity, medium thick & fine- my hair can't get enough protein!

*****HG Routine*****

event.png
  • cleanteeth68cleanteeth68 Posts: 49Registered Users
    Wow!! Your hair looks AWESOME!! And I love the color too! Does she cut your hair dry.. the "deva" cut?? I"m getting my first in a couple of weeks.. I love your shape and style and I like the way that you can wear it straight or curly.. even though I"m partial to it curly:) Glad you found a great stylist! It makes all the difference in the world!
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    That color looks STUNNING on you! Absolutely gorgeous. Glad you like your new do
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    Love the cut! I may steal it as a guide for how I want mine cut when I ever get the money to do so again. Your hair is a bit curlier than mine but I think it's a good shape guide.

I'm way up in Maine so hopefully I'll get as good results. I do love the lady who cuts my hair though.

Looks great!
    Thanks, y'all! :D

cleanteeth- She did sit down with me before I had my hair washed and talked over how short I wanted it and the shape I wanted, but she did cut it wet. Not really an issue for me, but I know others aren't fond of that way of going about it. Hope you like your cut as much as I like mine!

coilynapp- Thanks! I absolutely love this colour too. It's my 'fall' colour. My summer colour is a little more of a bright red.

KookyCurl- Go for it! Before I had my cut, I definitely printed out a few pictures from this site and from a few Google searches to show the shape I wanted. My stylist really liked the visual along with the explanation of how I wanted my hair to sit. Good luck with your cut!

*****HG Routine*****

event.png
  • BrownEyedGirl2002BrownEyedGirl2002 Posts: 10Registered Users
    Thanks so much for posting this! I could not find a salon listed in Mongtomery that I wanted to try (the ones listed where more for type 4 hair) and now I may just have to jog over to Prattville n a couple of months for a curl cut!
    mostly 3a, texture: fine/normal porosity: normal at roots, more porous at ends due to heat styling and coloring

color treated, living in southeast...w/ high humidity...dew points 70+

new to CG; trying out tresemme naturals conditioner, GVP conditioning balm, and HETT gel, twice a month Deva No-Poo.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Musical, will you please add a review to our salon reviews section?

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • LeanneMLeanneM Posts: 211Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair is beautiful, as are you! :toothy4: It looks great!
    Mod-CG since December 2010.
    Hair type: NC: 2A; FIA: 2cFii; Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    Cleansing: CJ Cleansing Conditioner, Trader Joe's Tea Tree, or Deva No Poo
    Daily conditioner: Deva One C or CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Hair Cond or GPB
    Styling products: Deva B'Leave In + Deva Curl Cream + AnGel; or
    SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG
    Treatments: SS protein treatment or CJ Curl Fix or Nexxus Emergencee + CJ Curl Rehab

• raynebairraynebair Posts: 37Registered Users
    So is Tina still at that salon or in the area? I'm really in need of a hair cut and am wary of the ones mentioned in the salon reviews section. I'm in Montgomery.

I'd prefer a dry cut, since I have a lot of shrinkage. It's already short enough, I don't really want it much shorter than it already is, but I need it evened out badly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG since May 23, 2012
    Yep, I'm a newbie!
    Hispanic with 3a/b curls that did not exist when I was a child

Current Products:
    Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine
    VO5 Tea Therapy Blackberry Sage
    HETT gel
    Can do!

*****HG Routine*****

event.png
    Thanks everybody for the compliments! I intend to write up another review for Tina, since I just had another (wonderful) cut from her yesterday! She has relocated to another salon but it's really about a stone's throw from where I got my previous cuts.

I'll post that one up later today. Thanks again! :)

*****HG Routine*****

event.png
  • ambrnpambrnp Posts: 18Registered Users
    Anyone know where Tina is located now? Or know of another stylist recommendation in this area?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file