what is co washing??

i am rather new to the natural world... (only for abt 3 yrs now... just start proper hair maintenence) and i always hear about co washes but dnt kno what they are?? :dontknow: or how they work... can someone please help me?!?!?!?!?

Comments

• J.S.M.J.S.M. Registered Users Posts: 415
    Co-washing is when you wash your hair with a conditioner instead of a shampoo. It's done for cleansing and moisturizing, since shampoos tend to strip the hair of moisture. Usually you'd co-wash with a thin conditioner (like Suave Naturals or VO5) and, if that conditioner doesn't provide enough moisture, follow-up with a thicker, more moisturizing rinse-out. It's best to use conditioners that are silicone-free so that you don't get build-up.

• SheamarSheamar Registered Users Posts: 23
    Personally, I don't co-wash my hair, I understand some people don't want to use harsh shampoos. However, I just don't get it. Shampoos and cleansers are made to clean the hair, while doing that it will take away nutrients from your hair and conditioners were made to put back what was taken out, so washing your hair with a conditioner doesn't make sense to me, since you're basically rinsing your hair and adding into it instead of cleaning it.
    There are shampoos out there that are good and organic, you simply have to look for it, cleansers are great, no suds and doesn't strip the hair. I've recently found out about "Wen" it's a conditioning cleanser that cleanses the hair without stripping it and conditions it at the same time, it a remarkable product and doesn't take away much of your natural oils just what the hair don't need.
    If co-washing works for you that's great, experiment and see what method is best for your hair. I suggest to clean your hair as you do normally and just let it dry, don't add any products, conditioners or oils and see what your hair looks like,that will determine how your cleaning regimen works for your hair.
  • miralalunamiralaluna Registered Users Posts: 168
    ^ Conditioners don't tend to fully compensate for what is lost from shampooing, however,

savinasuemash - the first thread in this forum explains the no shampoo method. Many questions for beginners are also covered in previous topics. Use the 'search' function at the top of the page to find them.
    Fine texture (I think?!), normal porosity
    No 'poo since May 2007

Current products (used only as & when required!):
    - Naked Sensitive Scalp conditioner
    - Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

My Fotki - pw: curlywhirly

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file