Haircut! Uh oh!

I have fairly fine 3b hair with a lot of volume, which was until about a week ago down to the small of my back. Last weekend I cut most of it off (it's now just above my shoulders) to donate to Locks of Love.
The haircut is cute, and I'm happy I did it, but my hair is impossible to care for now!
My old routine:
Shampoo (sulfate free)
rinse out conditioner (silicone free)
put in braid, go to sleep
wake up with fabulous curls

It was a little flat on top (mainly due to the braiding, I'd say) but it didn't really matter because with hair that long, there was little danger of a "pyramid".

But now, my hair is all sorts of freakazoid shapes. I've tried a few different approaches. If I take a shower in the morning and let it air dry, the top is flat and my hair is ridiculously triangular. If I take one at night, my curls get all squashed and weird looking. I tried "plopping" it the other day, with absolutely disastrous results. Maybe my hair is too short, but all it did was flatten the *very* top of my head and add volume to the sides, making my hair look like a semi-circle (not a very flattering look, I might add).

I've also tried a few texturizing creams/curl constructing mousses, with some success (more defined curls, but still the problems with the shapes) But I think the problem is mainly in the routine.

Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    try washing in the morning and diffusing instead of air drying. That's the only thing that gives me even volume all the way around my head...
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file