Oil Cleansing Method-Questions

AfroPRChicaAfroPRChica Posts: 200Registered Users
I don't really have any skin problems using regular acne products, except I sometimes get the occasional breakout, but I decided to try the OCM bc I want a more natural skin care regimen. I have normal skin (somewhat dry), except for an oily t-zone in the summer (which changes to dry and flaky in the winter).

I tried it last night, but I don't think that I will be able to do it more than 3x/week. I don't really see much of a difference yet, but my skin was a tad bit dry afterward. I also didn't lose any plugs or anything, but my skin did get little oilier afterward, which I read is supposed to happen. I did 20% castor oil and 80% olive oil, but I am thinking about trying 15% castor oil and 85% oilve oil. But anyways, here are my questions:

1. How do you remove your makeup on the nights you don't do it?

2. In the morning I always use a natural moisturizer with sunscreen in it (Yes to Carrots moisturizer w/ spf 15), do I just put it on dry, or do I rinse my face with water first, and then apply?

3. How long until I see any kind of improvement as far as plugs coming out, and more radiance?

Thanks!
-Mostly 3C with some 4A.
-Currently APL.
-Shorterm Goal: BSL by end of the year.
-Longterm Goal: WL in 2 years.
-Medium/coarse hair, Low Porosity, Low-Elasticity, Medium Density.

Rotation:

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Cond. (any)
Rinse Out: Tresemee Naturals Moisture
DC: GVP Cond. Balm, SM DC, & EVOO
Leave in: SM Conditioning Milk
Sealant: EVOO Or Whipped Shea
Gel: SM Curl Souffle

Afro-Latinas...visit my blog!:

http://afrolatinaisbeautiful.blogspot.com/

Comments

• krazy coilskrazy coils Posts: 148Registered Users
    m_cruz2007 wrote: »
    I don't really have any skin problems using regular acne products, except I sometimes get the occasional breakout, but I decided to try the OCM bc I want a more natural skin care regimen. I have normal skin (somewhat dry), except for an oily t-zone in the summer (which changes to dry and flaky in the winter).

I tried it last night, but I don't think that I will be able to do it more than 3x/week. I don't really see much of a difference yet, but my skin was a tad bit dry afterward. I also didn't lose any plugs or anything, but my skin did get little oilier afterward, which I read is supposed to happen. I did 20% castor oil and 80% olive oil, but I am thinking about trying 15% castor oil and 85% oilve oil. But anyways, here are my questions:

1. How do you remove your makeup on the nights you don't do it? I actually remove my makeup prior to using the OCM.

I use eye makeup remover for my eyemakeup and shea butter for my face.

2. In the morning I always use a natural moisturizer with sunscreen in it (Yes to Carrots moisturizer w/ spf 15), do I just put it on dry, or do I rinse my face with water first, and then apply?

I only do the OCM at night and use another cleanser to cleanse my face in the mornings.

3. How long until I see any kind of improvement as far as plugs coming out, and more radiance?
    Thanks!

I started out doing the OCM only once a week but now I do it 3-4 nights a week so I think it took about 2 months when i noticed a difference in my skin.
    HTH
    Last Relaxer: February 2009
    Big Chop: September 8, 2009
    Shampoo: Still Searching
    Conditioner:Nature's Gate Aloe Vera and Pomegranate Sunflower
    Deep Conditioner: Elucenc MBC
    CurrentProducts: Qhemets AOHC and OHHB, Oyin Hair Dew,Hemp Seed Oil, Castor Oil, Amla, Brahmi

Fotki:http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/
    Youtube
  • AfroPRChicaAfroPRChica Posts: 200Registered Users
    What is the other cleanser you use in the morning? And I guess I'll do it for at least 6 weeks before I judge whether or not it works for my skin. Thanks!
    -Mostly 3C with some 4A.
    -Currently APL.

Rotation:

I use a pure black soap bar that I get from Whole Foods to cleanse my skin in the mornings.
    CurrentProducts: Qhemets AOHC and OHHB, Oyin Hair Dew,Hemp Seed Oil, Castor Oil, Amla, Brahmi

Youtube
    I use a pure black soap bar that I get from Whole Foods to cleanse my skin in the mornings.

Oh okay. The closest health food store is like 45 min. away! :( I wish they had one closer!
    -Mostly 3C with some 4A.
    -Currently APL.

Rotation:

• ninadefninadef Posts: 243Registered Users
    Must one cleanse in the mornings?

I only wash/rinse my face with water in the mornings and sometimes follow up with EVCO when I'm feeling extra dry..... It works for me.
    ninadef wrote: »

I only wash/rinse my face with water in the mornings and sometimes follow up with EVCO when I'm feeling extra dry..... It works for me.

Sometimes my face is a little oily in the morning when I wake up. Will water be enough for that?
    -Mostly 3C with some 4A.
    -Currently APL.

Rotation:

I don't think you have to cleanse in the mornings, I think mine is out of the habit of doing it so long (lol) also there are some days when I workout in the mornings so its a must then. I think if your skin is feeling fine its okay to skip.

Youtube

I don't think you have to cleanse in the mornings, I think mine is out of the habit of doing it so long (lol) also there are some days when I workout in the mornings so its a must then. I think if your skin is feeling fine its okay to skip.

Oh okay! Yeah, its a habit for me as well, so it just feels so weird to not clean it in the morning lol. But I also wanted to start working out some mornings, so I will probably have to clean it in the morning on those days.
    -Mostly 3C with some 4A.
    -Currently APL.

Rotation:

Oh okay! Yeah, its a habit for me as well, so it just feels so weird to not clean it in the morning lol. But I also wanted to start working out some mornings, so I will probably have to clean it in the morning on those days.

I'm extremely lazy so I just rinse with water in my morning shower UNLESS I workout. In that case I use my "shower gel" which is AOHSR shampoo that I have way to much of.

After my latest OC I had mad bags under my eyes (I used my emergency mascara the day before, the stuff has to be chiseled off), I'm talking several rows of bagage I've never seen before.:cussing:

So I'm guessing that it will be an area on my face I must avoid in the future.

Anyone else have that problem?

I'm extremely lazy so I just rinse with water in my morning shower UNLESS I workout. In that case I use my "shower gel" which is AOHSR shampoo that I have way to much of.

After my latest OC I had mad bags under my eyes (I used my emergency mascara the day before, the stuff has to be chiseled off), I'm talking several rows of bagage I've never seen before.:cussing:

So I'm guessing that it will be an area on my face I must avoid in the future.

Anyone else have that problem?

What is AOHSR and OC? I'm horrible at the abbreviations. Does it have sulfate in it? Maybe it's too harsh for your eye area. I find that anything that is a "gel" (which is usually sulfates), is way too harsh for my skin.
    -Mostly 3C with some 4A.
    -Currently APL.

Rotation:

• *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte

What is AOHSR and OC? I'm horrible at the abbreviations. Does it have sulfate in it? Maybe it's too harsh for your eye area. I find that anything that is a "gel" (which is usually sulfates), is way too harsh for my skin.

Aubrey Organic Honey SuckleRose. It's Curly Girl friendly! A lot of curlies and kinkies love it!Aubrey Organics itself is a organic/natural brand. They make various products such as conditioners, shampoos, lotions, gels, etc. It's wonderful. I don't use silicones or sulfates..and this is my favorite line of hair care products. I get all mine at www.vitacost.com

I think she means "Oil Cleanse" by OC ?
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg

Aubrey Organic Honey SuckleRose. It's Curly Girl friendly! A lot of curlies and kinkies love it!Aubrey Organics itself is a organic/natural brand. They make various products such as conditioners, shampoos, lotions, gels, etc. It's wonderful. I don't use silicones or sulfates..and this is my favorite line of hair care products. I get all mine at www.vitacost.com

yeah, Oc is oil cleanse to me, I'm lazy.

The Aubrey Organic Honey SuckleRose shampoo sucks the life out of my hair but my body loves it.

Oh okay! I've heard nothing but good things about it! I want to try it really bad, but the closest health food store is like 45 min away. :( I hate buying products online, I prefer to buy it on ground. I might have to check it out though. And oh okay, I've always seen it being referred to as OCM.
    -Mostly 3C with some 4A.
    -Currently APL.

Rotation:

• mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    When I was doing OCM regularly, I didn't wash my face in the morning. I would just rinse my face with water, dry, and apply my anti-aging serum and eye cream. Extra moisturizer wasn't necessary but my skin is fairly oily.

I used a mud mask once a week or so until all the plugs were gone. From then on, my skin was totally clear. I think I noticed a difference in my skin within a couple weeks but I was doing it every night.

I found the oil removed all my makeup, even waterproof mascara.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    When I was doing OCM regularly, I didn't wash my face in the morning. I would just rinse my face with water, dry, and apply my anti-aging serum and eye cream. Extra moisturizer wasn't necessary but my skin is fairly oily.

I used a mud mask once a week or so until all the plugs were gone. From then on, my skin was totally clear. I think I noticed a difference in my skin within a couple weeks but I was doing it every night.

I found the oil removed all my makeup, even waterproof mascara.

Oh okay. I've been doing it every night. I might have to try the mask, I think I've been getting plugs. I have an oatmeal mud mask that I'll start using again. It does do a great job at removing my makeup.
    -Mostly 3C with some 4A.
    -Currently APL.

Rotation:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji