CurlTalk

Vent: Anyone else in my shoes? Cant shop brick & mortar for hair products?

greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
[Vent]The only place that sells natural/curly hair care products in my area is Whole Foods and sometimes Ross where I can maybe once a season score some Jane Carter products, which I'm lukewarm about.

My local Targets doesn't even have the Shea Moisture line. I have to order everything that isn't Aubrey, Kinky-Curly, John Masters, and other Whole Foods or Pharmica products online. My local BBS only has the usual suspects which I dont use (Cantu, Lets Jam, Motions, etc) Don't get me wrong, I love online shopping - (heck, I just sold an only retail store!), but I would like to save on shipping sometimes and be able to test before I buy. [/Vent]

Does anyone else deal with this? The KCCC does fly off the shelves sometimes at all of my local Whole Foods and there are a handful of WFs here so its not like there isn't a curly hair market here...
APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
My Fotki!
Below: Typical PS bun
004-vi.jpg

Comments

• CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users
    Can you speak to your BSS and ask them to start carrying the items that you need? Thats what the folks did close to me for our BSS. That BSS carries everything, even Qhemet.

I honestly did very well the first year I went natural with conditioner, my own shealoe , and my own flaxseed gel.

Im scared of wondering if a formula will change
  • curlsugarcurlsugar Posts: 240Registered Users
    i just left nyc where it is pretty easy to find products, and i still found it a hassle there. which is why i stopped buying special natural hair products and starting only using drugstore products. honestly, i think almost any style or hair need can be addressed with drugstore products.
    Natural since '03
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    Can you speak to your BSS and ask them to start carrying the items that you need? Thats what the folks did close to me for our BSS. That BSS carries everything, even Qhemet.

I honestly did very well the first year I went natural with conditioner, my own shealoe , and my own flaxseed gel.

Im scared of wondering if a formula will change

I did believe it or not. Unfortunately in that area, the weave/relaxer market is too big for them to carry a few products for this nappy headed girl! I did email the Shea Moisture folks to see if they are coming to Portland - no response.

When I see other curly/natural heads, I do ask where they buy their products its either online and/or Whole Foods.

Even Sally doesnt have the Eco Styler Olive Oil Styling Gel - I had to order that from Amazon.com!
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
    curlsugar wrote: »
    i just left nyc where it is pretty easy to find products, and i still found it a hassle there. which is why i stopped buying special natural hair products and starting only using drugstore products. honestly, i think almost any style or hair need can be addressed with drugstore products.

Unfortunately my hair hates mineral oil and 'cones so the only drugstore product I can use are some of the conditioners. Nothing to moisturize, shampoo or style.
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users
    ^ In that case I feel for you

Can you try a natural store? A health food store?? I did that as well but they had to talk to the seller to see if the ingredients met their standards?
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users

Can you try a natural store? A health food store?? I did that as well but they had to talk to the seller to see if the ingredients met their standards?

I agree, that might be your best bet.

As for me, I rarely get anything online as I hate the long wait and the exhorbitant shipping charges. But then, I don't have to depend on getting stuff online. There is a Target near me that sells Shea Moisture and I can get other lines in other stores as well (Whole Foods, Ricky's).
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • LiyahLiyah Posts: 118Registered Users
    Have you tried Dollar General? Do you have that? They carry EcoStyler, Cantu and a few other lines...
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users
    It used be the same here. More vocal curlies than me must've made their needs known because the BSS around here are now carrying Mixed Chicks, Curls, Deva, and even Kinky Curly.

It's a blessing to now save on shipping on my staples because I've never been able to find a drugstore product that could effectively condition and moisturize my hair.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
    I'm actually in the same boat as you (except the Target part, and they just started getting the products in the stores close to me). My BSS doesn't sell anything good, and only one store sells Qhemet. Still, most of my staple products are ones that I need to buy online. Have you tried to get products using more coupon codes? Like, I order often from aveyou b/c their shipping is only $5, and it's $1 if you order $50 worth of stuff and there is often a code as well. Also, I almost never order directly from the company site for smaller brands because of processing times (like Donna Marie). When a site has free shipping with $60 (and unlike CurlMart, doesn't make you use a code that cancels a discount code you have), I usually just re-up on stuff I like or get one or two more products since my cart is often pretty close to $60 anyway.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • Kinky DayShaKinky DaySha Posts: 528Registered Users
    Yup, me right here, a fellow NW girl. I don't even have a whole foods, the closest one is 40 miles away and they don't carry anything at all. No Target in the state caries sheamoisture or anything else for that matter. So i have to order everything online, and when you have a family to take care of, that adds up. I have been trying to switch all of my faves for on the ground subs but having little luck. So far, I've been making my own hair butter(which I have to have shea butter shipped to me:tongue6:) but I can find all the oils and stuff in the Super Supplements. Everthing else I have to buy and doctor it up to make it rich enough for my hair. Which is why I have been thinking about ditching CG and trying products regarless of cones or mineral oil to see if they work. I hate to go backwards in progress but I can't afford these price hikes anymore.
    Last perm 8/07, big chop 5/08, several mini chops since
    Fine, medium density, low porosity. PJ in recovery:angel12:
    Current loves:Tressemme Nats, AO GPB, One and Only Argan Oil Hydrating Mask, Alba Botanicals Leave-in, KCKT, Qhemet BRBC & OHHB, Terresentials Mud Wash, Trader Joes Nourish Spa
    "Be the change you want to see in the world." - Gandhi
    LadyV69 wrote: »

I agree, that might be your best bet.

As for me, I rarely get anything online as I hate the long wait and the exhorbitant shipping charges. But then, I don't have to depend on getting stuff online. There is a Target near me that sells Shea Moisture and I can get other lines in other stores as well (Whole Foods, Ricky's).

I havent thought about it. We dont have a Ricky's but I can try Whole Foods!
    Liyah wrote: »
    Have you tried Dollar General? Do you have that? They carry EcoStyler, Cantu and a few other lines...

No Dollar General here...
    It used be the same here. More vocal curlies than me must've made their needs known because the BSS around here are now carrying Mixed Chicks, Curls, Deva, and even Kinky Curly.

It's a blessing to now save on shipping on my staples because I've never been able to find a drugstore product that could effectively condition and moisturize my hair.

Yes, one does carry Mixed Chics, but I cant deal with their 'cones (and I hate the name!)
    ellepixie wrote: »
    I'm actually in the same boat as you (except the Target part, and they just started getting the products in the stores close to me). My BSS doesn't sell anything good, and only one store sells Qhemet. Still, most of my staple products are ones that I need to buy online. Have you tried to get products using more coupon codes? Like, I order often from aveyou b/c their shipping is only $5, and it's $1 if you order $50 worth of stuff and there is often a code as well. Also, I almost never order directly from the company site for smaller brands because of processing times (like Donna Marie). When a site has free shipping with $60 (and unlike CurlMart, doesn't make you use a code that cancels a discount code you have), I usually just re-up on stuff I like or get one or two more products since my cart is often pretty close to $60 anyway.

I tend to do that a lot. I'm constantly hunting the web for coupon codes for products. I do want to avoid smaller brands myself too for that very reason. I dont want to wait a month to get my product and pay for shipping to wait!
    Yup, me right here, a fellow NW girl. I don't even have a whole foods, the closest one is 40 miles away and they don't carry anything at all. No Target in the state caries sheamoisture or anything else for that matter. So i have to order everything online, and when you have a family to take care of, that adds up. I have been trying to switch all of my faves for on the ground subs but having little luck. So far, I've been making my own hair butter(which I have to have shea butter shipped to me:tongue6:) but I can find all the oils and stuff in the Super Supplements. Everthing else I have to buy and doctor it up to make it rich enough for my hair. Which is why I have been thinking about ditching CG and trying products regarless of cones or mineral oil to see if they work. I hate to go backwards in progress but I can't afford these price hikes anymore.

I guess I'm lucky to be in Portland proper where I at least have some options. I have to have shea butter and other oils (that's not hemp seed, olive, coconut) shipped as well. I assume most people deal with that anyway since retail shea is so expensive and usually processed.
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    I was just thinking about something similar to this.. could my hair survive (doing my current regimen) using products only available to me on ground?
    Fortunately ive spent these last cpl months tailoring it to be mainly of products I can get on ground, or at the very least staples have equal on ground alternatives.
    I actually do have access to alot more in the recent months than I did even at the beginning of summer, the other day I saw my bss had the kc tiny twirls line (which my whole foods and target dont for some reason) & the curls kids as well.

Some things ill get online before I get em on ground, mainly from iherb.. because its so discounted and theres no tax so even with shipping I save, plus it comes in two days !

But at this point everything I get online is optional, or replaceable with something on ground.. except a deep conditioner. My favorites are only available online but even then I guess I can use aohr. Oh and butters, my bss just got shea butter but i dont trust it lol
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • Curlilocks0509Curlilocks0509 Posts: 27Registered Users
    1. Yes! Ugh!!! We don't have a Whole Foods, or a Target, or a CVS, or anything! Ok well we have Walmart and Walgreens but they never have anything! I have to drive an hour just to go to stores like Whole Foods and Target, and even then I still can't find a lot of the products I want. We have 1 bss, and they are definitely weave/relaxer oriented. So tired of ordering online then waiting a week to get my products. I cannot wait to move!
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Posts: 626Registered Users
    I have really been trying to get away from Online only proudcts. I can get my shampoos & conditioners at traget or vitamineshoppe.

BUT I have to order all the Shea butter, Cocoa Butter, Hemp seed oil, Rose hip seed oil, Fragrance oils etc. to make my stuff From online, so I still endup paying shipping and stuff anyway.

At this point I dont think there is anyway to avoid ordering online. But Traget's free shipping over $50 helps alot.
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    what is BSS?

and I ain't got **** here, whole foods (I typed fools at first and now I am rolling) is two hours away and target ain't got nothing but nothing.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • JessicazFroJessicazFro Posts: 1,446Registered Users
    turtles wrote: »
    what is BSS?

and I ain't got **** here, whole foods (I typed fools at first and now I am rolling) is two hours away and target ain't got nothing but nothing.

BSS= Beauty Supply Store

And I am tired of buying stuff online. I am ready to retire the PJ and it's just getting old paying for shipping and waiting though I've never waited for longer than two weeks LOL. I guess we could all pounce on CurlMart to get things like QB and DM added to the store. Paying shipping once is better than two or more times *shrug*
    tex-laxed(pfffttt) :dontknow:
    Thick/coarse/low porosity/low elasticity
    4a/b cottony/spongy

At war with my indestructible, armadillo hair...MY WILL BE DONE!

imager.php?id=2689460&t=o GIFSoup
    :tongue:
  • lisa6lisa6 Posts: 543Registered Users
    OP, I'm in your shoes. Actually, you have more ground options than I do. I tried purchasing 100% on the ground, but have returned to mainly purchasing online. Even though I still dabble in ground finds, I haven't found many that can rival my online purchases. Luckily, Curlmart carries most of the things I want, so I take advantage of the free shipping.
    comic-p.jpg
    4a fine, thin, high porosity
    Poo: SM Y&B, BT TT
    C: HE Reconditioning, Suave Almond and Shea
    DC: CJ CR, CJ RM
    LI: JC DT
    Curl Cream: RN BWCC, CJ CCCC
    Gel: CJ AFG
    Refresher: SM Thickening Mist, SM Y&A Milk, CJ CIAB
    Moisturizer: CJ SL, SM CES
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    that's been my problem for years! my beloved elucence products were sold in a BSS store that only sold to licensed professionals, but even they stopped carrying those products. our targets don't carry any of the natural hair products, there is no trader joe's and the closest whole foods is about 30-40 min. away.

i did recently find a small boutique in the mall that carries sheamoisture, kinky curly, miss jessie's, curls, mixed chicks, uncle funky's daughter, and a few other natural lines. :afro::blob::toothy4::thumbleft::hello1::headbang:

so i still have to order online to get my HG product, but it makes me happy to know that i don't have to pay for shipping to at least try the other brands.
  • makeupvixenmakeupvixen Posts: 507Registered Users
    It may be a long shot but have you tried yelp.com? It's how I found local places that carried shea butter in store. I right reviews about places and do survey's and some secret shopping and I yelp it. I mention some of the things they carry on my review and it helps people find things in their area.

Like go to yelp and type shea butter then enter your city and maybe you can find something in your area. Sometimes it works for people and sometimes it doesn't because not a lot of people go back to yelp and write reviews about products they found.

I did however go to my favorite beauty supply and expressed my love of shea butter and certain companies and I talked to the owner, they ended up getting the stuff I wanted and I told my friends about it and now we all shop there. I told them that if they started carrying more natural things like Shea butter then it would fly off the shelves and I would tell people that they carry it (free advertising) and well it worked.
    I have really been trying to get away from Online only proudcts. I can get my shampoos & conditioners at traget or vitamineshoppe.

BUT I have to order all the Shea butter, Cocoa Butter, Hemp seed oil, Rose hip seed oil, Fragrance oils etc. to make my stuff From online, so I still endup paying shipping and stuff anyway.

At this point I dont think there is anyway to avoid ordering online. But Traget's free shipping over $50 helps alot.

Yes, I can get shampoos and conditioner at home, but for my "exotic" oils and butters, I have to order online...
    It may be a long shot but have you tried yelp.com? It's how I found local places that carried shea butter in store. I right reviews about places and do survey's and some secret shopping and I yelp it. I mention some of the things they carry on my review and it helps people find things in their area.

Like go to yelp and type shea butter then enter your city and maybe you can find something in your area. Sometimes it works for people and sometimes it doesn't because not a lot of people go back to yelp and write reviews about products they found.

I did however go to my favorite beauty supply and expressed my love of shea butter and certain companies and I talked to the owner, they ended up getting the stuff I wanted and I told my friends about it and now we all shop there. I told them that if they started carrying more natural things like Shea butter then it would fly off the shelves and I would tell people that they carry it (free advertising) and well it worked.

You know, I totally forgot about checking Yelp (as much as I write reviews). I found a local source for henna - I will try shea butter...

Thanks!
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • Booker Ts MamaBooker Ts Mama Posts: 670Registered Users
    Is there an Ulta in your area? They carry the Deva line and they also sell drugstore brands as well. You may be able to find something there.
    Is there an Ulta in your area? They carry the Deva line and they also sell drugstore brands as well. You may be able to find something there.

Turns out there are a few locations somewhat near me! Thanks for the heads up.
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • Kinky DayShaKinky DaySha Posts: 528Registered Users
    subbrock wrote: »
    that's been my problem for years! my beloved elucence products were sold in a BSS store that only sold to licensed professionals, but even they stopped carrying those products. our targets don't carry any of the natural hair products, there is no trader joe's and the closest whole foods is about 30-40 min. away.

i did recently find a small boutique in the mall that carries sheamoisture, kinky curly, miss jessie's, curls, mixed chicks, uncle funky's daughter, and a few other natural lines. :afro::blob::toothy4::thumbleft::hello1::headbang:

so i still have to order online to get my HG product, but it makes me happy to know that i don't have to pay for shipping to at least try the other brands.
    Oooh, where? I think you live kinda in the same area as me and I would like to swing by and see what they have
    Last perm 8/07, big chop 5/08, several mini chops since
    Fine, medium density, low porosity. PJ in recovery:angel12:
    Current loves:Tressemme Nats, AO GPB, One and Only Argan Oil Hydrating Mask, Alba Botanicals Leave-in, KCKT, Qhemet BRBC & OHHB, Terresentials Mud Wash, Trader Joes Nourish Spa
    "Be the change you want to see in the world." - Gandhi
  • evelynnalfredevelynnalfred Posts: 324Registered Users
    [Vent]The only place that sells natural/curly hair care products in my area is Whole Foods and sometimes Ross where I can maybe once a season score some Jane Carter products, which I'm lukewarm about.

My local Targets doesn't even have the Shea Moisture line. I have to order everything that isn't Aubrey, Kinky-Curly, John Masters, and other Whole Foods or Pharmica products online. My local BBS only has the usual suspects which I dont use (Cantu, Lets Jam, Motions, etc) Don't get me wrong, I love online shopping - (heck, I just sold an only retail store!), but I would like to save on shipping sometimes and be able to test before I buy. [/Vent]

Does anyone else deal with this? The KCCC does fly off the shelves sometimes at all of my local Whole Foods and there are a handful of WFs here so its not like there isn't a curly hair market here...

Have you tried the Yes to Carrots or Giovanni line? Target carries them. Some ladies swear by Herbal Essense and Aussie products too and they are always at Target when I go.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    I shop 90% of my products on-line. The only thing I get on the ground is Devacurl and my shampoo, castor oil, KCCC and Giovanni gel. Curl Junkie, Qhemet, KBB Onesta, all on-line
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Have you tried the Yes to Carrots or Giovanni line? Target carries them. Some ladies swear by Herbal Essense and Aussie products too and they always at Target when I go.

I have tried Yes to..., but I need to revisit it. I have also tried Giovanni in the distant past, but need to check it out again too.
    I shop 90% of my products on-line. The only thing I get on the ground is Devacurl and my shampoo, castor oil, KCCC and Giovanni gel. Curl Junkie, Qhemet, KBB Onesta, all on-line

I'm finding more options here now (still relatively new to my area). Thankfully Shea Moisture came to Walgreens (none of my Targets carries it). Most of my hair care shopping is still online though.
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • Chicago KinksChicago Kinks Posts: 2,747Registered Users
    95% of my products are purchased online. I can get a lot on the ground but I prefer to shop online. My schedule is tight and having things delivered is so much easier.

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP
    **sophisticated ignorance, I type my cuss words in cursive**

Current Rotation (always changing): Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as my Leave-In, Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles, Entwine Argan Oil, Bobeam Shampoo Bars, QB CTDG and QB AHTB, UFD Curly Magic, B.A.S.K Anything.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.platinumpj.com" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup
    @PlatinumPJ
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    Yep...I'm screwed too. Whole Foods is my ONLY option (and it's miles away from where I live, but a few minutes from where I work), and that's just for Giovanni - but now I buy from massagewarehouse.com, to get the liter bottles. But I don't use Jane Carter, Kinky Curly, Alba, Nature's Gate, etc.

Oh wait...there is the small boutique that carries QB, but I'm not using much QB right now.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    I am in the same boat. I have to get everything online as all the Walgreens and Targets have very little if any of the Shea Moisture products. I get my essential oils from the local Vitamin Shoppe.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    juanab wrote: »
    I am in the same boat. I have to get everything online as all the Walgreens and Targets have very little if any of the Shea Moisture products. I get my essential oils from the local Vitamin Shoppe.

Yep...forgot about them. I can get Shea Moisture at Walgreens.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture