Long Term BKTers. Brand that DOESNT cause shedding?

Hello. I have done 4 BKTs in the last 3 months using QOD max only with nice results texture wise, 3C to 3a, with some annoying strands that just stay straight (prolly due to heat damage more so). BUT I do have lots of shedding. It has eased up a teeny bit, but I would like to know if someone is using a brand consistently and is not experiencing shedding?
TYPE: 3C
Current State: Just bc'd but still growing out heat damage in the front that goes to the root
High Density, Medium Porosity
Length: Grazing SL curly with tons of layers
Goal: MBL curly? 2019?
Doing what I want when I want!

Comments

• ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Posts: 2,264Registered Users
    What makes you think the shedding isn't a combo of normal shedding and heat damage from the high heat of the flat iron? I don't think my shedding is caused by the BKT solution itself. I also think our hair goes through shedding cycles or that sometimes we naturally shed more for one reason or another. I know that some of my shedding is caused by the highlights I had done in Nov. 09 and again in Jan 10. My hair is too fine and fragile to withstand color lifting, so I don't do it anymore, but the damaged, highlighted hair that hasn't broken off is still there and breaks off progressively, like any other damaged hair. If you had any pre-existing chemical or thermal damage, that could be contributing to your shedding as well, exacerbated by the high heat of the flat-iron during the BKT applications. I also think I would see some split ends if the BKT were damaging my hair, and I don't see any.

Here's how I decided that my own shedding was relatively normal: When I wash my hair, I start combing, and if the hair just keeps coming and coming and coming as long as I comb it, then I know it's excessive. If I comb and only one or two bigger wads of hair come out, then tapers off to only 1 or 2 strands, I know I'm good. Remember, too, the longer your hair gets, the more hair it looks like. I wash my hair every other day, so there's going to be more hair than for the every day washer.

Lastly, remember that everything we do to or put on our hair causes it some degree of damage. A hair dresser taught me that about 20 years ago.

Just my .02
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
  • TriMixDivaTriMixDiva Posts: 255Registered Users
    Thats true ghost poster. Hows your regimen and hair doing?

I tried the Organix 30 day smoothing treatment and it was nice for a week but pretty weak compared to my QOD results. I'm thinking of going back to QOD, hopefully what you explained is correct. I am still growing out some over process bleached hair, about half of it is overprocessed and bleached, the other half is virgin (besides the bkt). I get breakage and long strand shedding but it might be normal...I need to do your test.
    TYPE: 3C
    Current State: Just bc'd but still growing out heat damage in the front that goes to the root
    High Density, Medium Porosity
    Length: Grazing SL curly with tons of layers
    Goal: MBL curly? 2019?
    Doing what I want when I want!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file