Why is my scalp itchy?

tasyatasya Registered Users Posts: 14
I started going CG in june, and before that my scalp used to be so itchy i literally wanted to just shave my head and put it in a tub of acid. But ever since i had a no-poo routine my scalp felt sooooo good and healthy and it wasnt itchy anymore, and my curls looked 50x better!

Last month i decided to try out both Australian Organics' shampoo and conditioner because my hair kept on stretching and breaking even though i used a lot of protein. The results were kind of okay. My curls had more shape this time. however, after a while my hair started to feel dry and it was easily tangled up, and worse - my scalp started to itch. The shampoo is totally sls free and conditioner cone free. I used the conditioner everyday and shampoo once every 3 days.

So i switched back to my regular v05 and the itching reduced but it's still there sometimes. I massage my scalp whenever i shower. How do i get rid of the itch completely? Thank you in advance

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    Sounds like something in the Australian Organics caused a skin sensitivity or allergic dermatitis. Look at the labels and compare ingredients with the VO5 and whatever you used back when your scalp did not itch.

If you find an ingredient in common in the "itchy" conditioners which is not in the "non-itchy" ones, that may be your culprit.

Proteins in hair products require heavier doses of preservatives to keep them from going bad, so protein-containing products generally have more preservatives (big source of irritation).

If you simply cannot find an ingredient you think bothers you -- you might switch to an unscented conditioner for people with allergies for a while.
    Also, if you live in a place where it is getting cold and dry, this alone could cause your problems. So could other allergies, if you have them. (If your eyes itch or your nose is stuffy and so on, you may have allergies in general which can cause a scalp to itch.

Good luck sleuthing this one out.
  • LOVEYOURHAIRLOVEYOURHAIR Registered Users Posts: 11
    IAgirl wrote: »
    Sounds like something in the Australian Organics caused a skin sensitivity or allergic dermatitis. Look at the labels and compare ingredients with the VO5 and whatever you used back when your scalp did not itch.

If you find an ingredient in common in the "itchy" conditioners which is not in the "non-itchy" ones, that may be your culprit.

Proteins in hair products require heavier doses of preservatives to keep them from going bad, so protein-containing products generally have more preservatives (big source of irritation).

If you simply cannot find an ingredient you think bothers you -- you might switch to an unscented conditioner for people with allergies for a while.
    Also, if you live in a place where it is getting cold and dry, this alone could cause your problems. So could other allergies, if you have them. (If your eyes itch or your nose is stuffy and so on, you may have allergies in general which can cause a scalp to itch.

Good luck sleuthing this one out.

I think you have a good point about comparing ingredients between the two conditioners. Your hair may also be adjusting to your no poo routine if you have not been doing it for several months. I know from going to no poo routine, my scalp too tend to itch. It depends on what conditioner that I am using. I find I cowash with Aussie Moist or David Babaii, I do not get this itchy feeling. Lately I have been cowashing with Curl Junkie conditioners, my scalp seems to itch in certain places.

You may want to check your scalp to see if it looks moist or really dry. Dryness on the scalp, flakiness is also an irritation for the skin. So if in the colder climates, still continue to use moisturizing conditioners and ones to not strip your natural oils. I also have a bottle of shamp and conditioner by Australian Organics that I have yet tried.

I am always looking for healthy, moisturizing conditioners.
  • CheetaraCheetara Registered Users Posts: 2,182 Curl Neophyte
    The thing that really helped me when I started cowashing is my shampoo brush. I use it to stimulate my scalp rather than using my fingertips (my hands get tired.) It definitely helps with the itchies!

I got mine at the dollar store and it basically looks like this.

200.jpg
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• eweniqueewenique Registered Users Posts: 1,502 Curl Neophyte
    I rarely use conditioner on my scalp. The scalp brush works great. I only use conditioner to detangle and moisturize.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file