Did your hair get really greasy when first trying CG?

DolphinDolphin Registered Users Posts: 329
When I tried no shampoo the first time, my hair got really greasy. My mom said it's because when you stop using shampoo the natural oils in your hair/scalp come up. Did your hair look greasy when you first started CG? If so, how long did it take to not be greasy? I gave up on full CG because of this. Thanks.
Some 2b in the back, mostly (using FIA) 2c/F/iii.

Fine hair, normal porosity, and normal elasticity.

I'm still new to this CG stuff, so ANY tips you could give me are appreciated. :)

I have Celiac Disease, which means I can't eat or use products with wheat in it.

Formerly known as curlygirl92 and mixofwavescurls

Comments

• MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    I think it's pretty normal to be a little greasy when first starting out on CG. Some people's hair adjusts REALLY quickly and it's only the first week or so. Others seems to take a little longer to get used to the system.

It's not so much that NOT using shampoo brings the oils out, as it is that your hair is USED to you using shampoo. IE, it's used to you stripping the strands of their natural oils and it overproduces to compensate. As long as you're shampooing, that's not a huge problem. But the second you stop stripping the hair, you really notice the extra oil. The good news is, most people see a noticable difference when their hair starts to adjust. For some people though, fullon CG just isn't the right solution for them *shrug*

So I'd say give it a few weeks and see if you notice any improvement. If you don't, or if it gets worse, then you know you probably need to use a gentle shampoo every now and then to get the oils under control. Maybe after doing that for a little while your hair would be better on CG as well... hard to say. Everyone's different :)
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • DolphinDolphin Registered Users Posts: 329
    Okay, thanks! :)
    Some 2b in the back, mostly (using FIA) 2c/F/iii.

Fine hair, normal porosity, and normal elasticity.

I'm still new to this CG stuff, so ANY tips you could give me are appreciated. :)

I have Celiac Disease, which means I can't eat or use products with wheat in it.

Formerly known as curlygirl92 and mixofwavescurls
  • heidiheidi Registered Users Posts: 243
    I tried CG for the first time several years ago. I ended up with oily roots pretty quickly and never really got past the problem, so I gave up after 3 months.
    This time around I didn't get oily roots at all. The co-wash I'm using this time around is the only change (used Suave last time). So, you might try a few conditioners and see if that helps.
    Medium-fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity, Thick Density
    Co-wash: Renpure Body&Shine
    RO: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI/Curl Enhancer: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    Other: I'll add a little AG Mousse Gel if I want something extra.
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    I have been CG since the first of December, and my hair was really greasy in the beginning. When I did my first CO-wash, my hair felt SO good. Then as I kept CO-washing, it just seemed like my hair kept getting greasier and greasier. Now I realized what I was doing wrong, and almost all of the grease has disappeared.
    1) I had a 'cone in my final sulfate wash! It was building up and giving me most of that awful grease, so I clarified with a BS/ACV rinse -- bye-bye dull, greasy hair!
    2) You have to REALLY scrub your scalp when you CO-wash, because the only thing that's removing all the dirt and oil from your scalp is your manual friction. I learned to scrub so hard and for such a long time that my arms hurt. ;)
    3) I made the mistake of CO-washing too often. I tried to do it every other day, but it was way too much for my hair. Now I CO-wash, skip a day, water wash, skip a day, and CO-wash again. It's working so much better.

All in all, I think it took (is going to take) my scalp 2-3 weeks to transition. The length of my hair is still in the process of switching over. It doesn't look better, it doesn't look a lot worse, so it's okay for now!
    I hope CO-washing starts to work for you! I think my hair was so desperate for moisture, it sucked all of the condish right up! Maybe your hair will take a little longer to make the CG switch. But if you look at the before/after thread, I think it's worth it. :)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • SailaSaila Registered Users Posts: 1,212 Curl Neophyte
    I have been CG since the first of December, and my hair was really greasy in the beginning. When I did my first CO-wash, my hair felt SO good. Then as I kept CO-washing, it just seemed like my hair kept getting greasier and greasier. Now I realized what I was doing wrong, and almost all of the grease has disappeared.

This is exactly what I am going through right now! I don't think my final sulfate wash had a cone in it though... and I did an ACV rinse after the wash anyway. Any ideas about what the culprit could be?
    Saila wrote: »

This is exactly what I am going through right now! I don't think my final sulfate wash had a cone in it though... and I did an ACV rinse after the wash anyway. Any ideas about what the culprit could be?

I would do a BS/ACV rinse anyway, just because you may need some sort of clarification to get your hair on the right path, if you know what I mean! I think the baking soda was what really helped me. The ACV rinse goes through your whole hair, but the baking soda mainly is just a concentrated, deep-cleaning scrub on your scalp. It worked wonders!

Do any of your products have 'cones in them? It's SO easy to miss those stinkers in any one of your products, whether it be in a final sulfate wash or a gel.

Are you scrubbing SUPER hard when you CO-wash? I was sorta scrubbing in the beginning because I didn't realize just how much effort you need to put into it. You know the feeling you get when you've been holding something heavy up in the air for a while? That's how your arms should feel after you CO-wash. Not necessarily because you're ripping the heck out of your scalp, but because you're doing it so firmly and for a pretty long amount of time. (I scrub for about three minutes.)

Are you CO-washing too often? Your hair can just get condish overload if you wash too often, even though you think you're doing your hair a favor by cleaning it more. I'd try adding some water washes in your routine and see how that goes.

But, all in all, you could just be having a rough transition period. Sometimes it takes months to adjust. I was just lucky that it only took me a few weeks! Good luck, and I hope that helped somewhat!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Yes, I am very rigorous with my co-washing! LOL. My scalp isn't actually greasy at all... It's just that my hair itself feels limp.

I think the last shampoo I clarified with had a "PPG" silicone in it, which are supposed to be water soluble. I did another "final wash" tonight (1 week later) with a different shampoo, with zero cones, just to be sure. My hair is now extremely shiny, soft, and kind of fluffy. Haha. Just like it was my first week of CG. I will wait 1 week and see where I am. If I feel like I need to clarify, I will use the baking soda. :)

Tonight, I also used a tad bit of organic coconut oil in my hair. Wow! I was so impressed. My hair just SOAKED it up. It didn't look greasy or oily at all. I was pretty shocked since I have olive oil as a deep treatment before and it just sits there. It does work, but I don't think I could ever use it as a leave in. I am so excited about this. Haha. I am thinking about mixing some coconut oil with LA gel as a leave in. What do you think? I normally hate the gel feeling, but maybe the oil with soften the hold/feel.
    Maybe your hair just needed that extra clarifying "push"!

I would try mixing a tiny little bit of the oil and gel together separately in your hand first, just to make sure they mix well. If they look like they are blending together nicely, I'd go for it and just try some gel with a tad of oil in it to see how your hair reacts. But if they aren't mixing well and look like they are either reacting with each other in a bad way or one is just sitting on top of the other, I wouldn't attempt putting them in your hair together.

Let me know how it goes! :thumbright:

Favorite...
  • MaciMaci Registered Users Posts: 180
    When I first went CG, I went cold turkey and only cowashed. My roots were really greasy and stunk. I went back to shampooing every other day. That did the trick. Then gradually I extended shampoos to every 2 days, then every 3 days, etc. Now I only poo about every 1.5 to 2 weeks. It was definitely worth it.

Ditto on checking for too many water soluable cones in your poos, condishes and stylers. I can only use water soluable cones in one product at a time. And not every day. Eventually I eliminated most water soluable cones products just because it was too hard to remember which products had what.
    Spirals, curls & waves, Med-Coarse Texture, Med Porosity, Low Elasticity
    Maci wrote: »
    When I first went CG, I went cold turkey and only cowashed. My roots were really greasy and stunk. I went back to shampooing every other day. That did the trick. Then gradually I extended shampoos to every 2 days, then every 3 days, etc. Now I only poo about every 1.5 to 2 weeks. It was definitely worth it.

Ditto on checking for too many water soluable cones in your poos, condishes and stylers. I can only use water soluable cones in one product at a time. And not every day. Eventually I eliminated most water soluable cones products just because it was too hard to remember which products had what.

What did you shampoo with? Just regular shampoo or a no-sulfate one?
    I switched to non-sulfate Burt's Bees. It's okay, but leaves my hair tangly.

Next I tried ABBA moisture poo. It's an okay poo with an organic mint smell and tingle. Available "on the ground" @ Ulta and other stores with salon products.

Next was MOP C-System Hydrating Shampoo. This has an organic citrus smell and worked well. Available "on ground" @ Ulta too. This is probably my favorite low-poo.

Then tried diluted Dr. Bronner's castile soap with a little oil added. It worked decently and multi-functions as a hand soap if you don't like it as a poo and comes in several scents. BUT..........you HAVE to do a apple cider vinegar rinse afterwards to offset the alkaline soap and seal the hair cuticle back. Otherwise your hair will be tangly.

Next were soap bars. If your hair is low porosity, bars will work great. But my hair is too porous and turns into a rats nest even with an ACV rinse.

Now before deep treatments, I use Elucence Moisture Benefits (sulfate) to ensure I get any buildup off. And I like the peach scent. Other non-sulfate poos I regularly use are CJ Curl Assurance Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Desert Essence and TIGI Love, Peace and the Planet Walking on Sunshine. The CJ is mild, but I don't like the smell - sort of chemically to me, not fresh. DE and TIGI are available "on the ground", but are nothing to write home about.

I've also tried DevaCare no-poo with mediocre results. Next I may try DevaCare (non-sulfate) low-poo and Tresemme Naturals low sulfate-poo. Anyone tried those?
    Saila wrote: »
    Yes, I am very rigorous with my co-washing! LOL. My scalp isn't actually greasy at all... It's just that my hair itself feels limp.

I think the last shampoo I clarified with had a "PPG" silicone in it, which are supposed to be water soluble. I did another "final wash" tonight (1 week later) with a different shampoo, with zero cones, just to be sure. My hair is now extremely shiny, soft, and kind of fluffy. Haha. Just like it was my first week of CG. I will wait 1 week and see where I am. If I feel like I need to clarify, I will use the baking soda. :)

Tonight, I also used a tad bit of organic coconut oil in my hair. Wow! I was so impressed. My hair just SOAKED it up. It didn't look greasy or oily at all. I was pretty shocked since I have olive oil as a deep treatment before and it just sits there. It does work, but I don't think I could ever use it as a leave in. I am so excited about this. Haha. I am thinking about mixing some coconut oil with LA gel as a leave in. What do you think? I normally hate the gel feeling, but maybe the oil with soften the hold/feel.

If your hair is limp, you may want to try a protein treatment to give your curls some 'strenght' to hold themselves up.

I've had great success with some oils - coconut and sweet almond. Joboba, olive, avocado and grapeseed just sit on my hair. The night before a shampoo, I oil my scalp and hair. Then put it up in a pineapple and sleep on it. Most of the oil will soak in and helps my hair from feeling stripped after the poo.

Many curlies usually experiment with oils and butters after getting past the initial cowash blues. It's fun to experiment!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file