Been natural for years but srsly DISSATISFIED with my curls (PICS)

alexisbelonalexisbelon Posts: 3Registered Users
Hi, I'm Alexis Belon, a lifestyle blogger, youtuber & free spirit. So here's a brief backstory on my battle with the beast. I stopped attempting to straighten my hair (it would never actually get straight and silky like the girls I was imitating, but STIFF) immediately after highschool when I decided to be myself. At FIRST, I adored my curls.

n667180836_843304_4433.jpg

As you can see here, even after a long day of hard work, my curls still remained defined from the top to the bottom. However, the longer my hair got, the less defined my curls were. They seemed weighed down. The curls were only at the bottom while the top was completely flat. But I LOVE my length.
4983882828_e2f1b17923.jpg

Here's a picture from this summer that proves though I still have curls (at the bottom at least) and massively thick hair, my big "fro" is gone and my hair looks so life-less to me. And on to the most recent photo of me.

5158346792_915fb51378.jpg
All I want in life, is for the hair at the top to be as curly and full of life as the hair at the bottom. I want the feeling of 'big hair' back. I'm thinking about getting my hair cut in massive layers to bring my volume back but keep the length. So I come to this forum seeking advice. How do I get my curls, CURLIER? Obviously you don't have to answer here as this is my intro but a little guidance in the right direction would help!

For those wondering what I do with my hair:
I co-wash, then I use my conditioner as a leave - in. I put mousse in it and then plop it up on the top of my head like a pineapple and go to bed. I know this can't be right, as my pillow is always soaked and my hair s so thick that it's still very damp by the morning. However, this is the only way I've found to give me defined curls.... THIS is what a diffuser does to me http://twitpic.com/32zzd8 - :sad1: no bueno.

Comments

• alexisbelonalexisbelon Posts: 3Registered Users
    Oh & here's one of my videos (no need to pay attention to the content) I'm just trying to give you all a better understanding of my hair type. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyPGd0bwRa4
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair is beautiful :)

I know for me, personally, there's a limit to how long I can have my hair if I want decent volume up top. The longer it gets, the heavier the hair is and it tends to pull out the curl at the roots. Your curl pattern is a lot stronger than mine, so you're probably able to get yours a lot longer before that happens... but I bet most people probably have that "limit" where they can't have the best of both worlds :/

I think layers would probably be a good option. Also, clipping might be a good option if you ever try to go without plopping overnight. Mousse doesn't hold up well for me when diffusing either... but gels are my best friends. Have you tried using a more flexible hold gel and diffusing to see what happens? My BEST volume always comes from diffusing upside down.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi, I'm Alexis Belon, a lifestyle blogger, youtuber & free spirit. So here's a brief backstory on my battle with the beast. I stopped attempting to straighten my hair (it would never actually get straight and silky like the girls I was imitating, but STIFF) immediately after highschool when I decided to be myself. At FIRST, I adored my curls.

n667180836_843304_4433.jpg
    As you can see here, even after a long day of hard work, my curls still remained defined from the top to the bottom. However, the longer my hair got, the less defined my curls were. They seemed weighed down. The curls were only at the bottom while the top was completely flat. But I LOVE my length.
    4983882828_e2f1b17923.jpg
    Here's a picture from this summer that proves though I still have curls (at the bottom at least) and massively thick hair, my big "fro" is gone and my hair looks so life-less to me. And on to the most recent photo of me.
    5158346792_915fb51378.jpg
    All I want in life, is for the hair at the top to be as curly and full of life as the hair at the bottom. I want the feeling of 'big hair' back. I'm thinking about getting my hair cut in massive layers to bring my volume back but keep the length. So I come to this forum seeking advice. How do I get my curls, CURLIER? Obviously you don't have to answer here as this is my intro but a little guidance in the right direction would help!
    For those wondering what I do with my hair:
    I co-wash, then I use my conditioner as a leave - in. I put mousse in it and then plop it up on the top of my head like a pineapple and go to bed. I know this can't be right, as my pillow is always soaked and my hair s so thick that it's still very damp by the morning. However, this is the only way I've found to give me defined curls.... THIS is what a diffuser does to me http://twitpic.com/32zzd8 - :sad1: no bueno.

I think you're on the right track.. get some layers in the front, and maybe take a few inches off the bottom. Then your (gorgeous) hair won't be so heavy (i.e. likely to curl up a bit more).

Good luck. :hippy2:
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • alexisbelonalexisbelon Posts: 3Registered Users
    MimsTX wrote: »
    Your hair is beautiful :)

I know for me, personally, there's a limit to how long I can have my hair if I want decent volume up top. The longer it gets, the heavier the hair is and it tends to pull out the curl at the roots. Your curl pattern is a lot stronger than mine, so you're probably able to get yours a lot longer before that happens... but I bet most people probably have that "limit" where they can't have the best of both worlds :/

I think layers would probably be a good option. Also, clipping might be a good option if you ever try to go without plopping overnight. Mousse doesn't hold up well for me when diffusing either... but gels are my best friends. Have you tried using a more flexible hold gel and diffusing to see what happens? My BEST volume always comes from diffusing upside down.

I agree. I probably can't have much longer hair than this. What flexible gels would you recommend?

Also, if anyone has a better hair care regime for me to try (as the one I have isn't working too great), I'd love to try ! I'll keep you posted on how it works.
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would try some of the Herbal Essence gels. Body Envy is a good one for me, but it seems like everyone has their favorite lol. They're easy to find and pretty cheap though, so at least trying them out isn't breaking the bank.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file