Starting fresh and need guidance

UniqsoleUniqsole Registered Users Posts: 28
Hello,

I have naturally thick curly hair and I have photos below:

2w5rub8.jpg2hx7cwn.jpg
I want to achieve a style like the guy in the picture below:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i273/richyyrich06/IMG00205.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/eulbf7/7

As of right now I'm just growing my hair out and moisturizing with Pink Lotion Oil Moisturizer, morning and night because my hair sucks up oil pretty fast and to give my hair a softer texture. I'm assuming I'm going in the right direction based off what Ive read so far on here.

So when I'm ready to start defining my curls, I need a sulfate free shampoo, a curling cream, and conditioner, correct?

What products do you recommend?

Comments

• jr.mint12jr.mint12 Registered Users Posts: 101
    theres not much you can do...to get your texture like his because you guys have two different textures. unless you want to use chemicals..DONT..but let your hair grow out a bit more ..but you r off to a good start.
  • UniqsoleUniqsole Registered Users Posts: 28
    Thank you for your response.

My hair grows pretty fast and within 3 weeks I already have a mini afro. Being my hair grows fast I wanted to know what products to go for to achieve a curlier hairstyle, which is why I'm asking in advance.
  • lovelovelovelovelovelove Registered Users Posts: 257
    Nice hair! Yes, going CG is a great way to go. Have you looked it up yet? You should consider it.
    A lot of us co-wash, which means cleansing hair with a light conditioner, but you can also use a sulfate-free shampoo. A leave-in is also recommended.
    Ca m'a fait de la pé-peine!:love7:
    Thank you for the compliment! I have read about the CG method and I'm considering using it but modified. I'm definetley going with a natural product line, such as Giovanni.

I'm just so anxious to get started :blob5:
  • sweetpeacurlisweetpeacurli Registered Users Posts: 343
    Uniqsole wrote: »
    Thank you for the compliment! I have read about the CG method and I'm considering using it but modified. I'm definetley going with a natural product line, such as Giovanni.

I'm just so anxious to get started :blob5:
    You made me giggle with that post. It's so exciting when you start getting into this stuff. I remember it well!

You're totally on the right track. Lots of moisture is key. Learning about ingredients will help. If you don't know what it is, don't use it. Same as with food - if you can't pronounce it and it sounds scary, stay away from it until you've researched it. :)

A word about Giovanni products... a lot of people like them, but I actually find them to be quite drying. They simply aren't heavy enough for me. If your hair loves moisture like mine does (and your mention of your hair soaking up moisturizer super fast makes me think it might be) you'll probably want something heavier. Look for products that have tons of oils in them.

For what it's worth, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner is a favorite of mine, both as a conditioner and for styling. It gives me great definition and shine.

Good luck - keep us posted as you grow!
    Sulfate and Silicone-free since 2005
    CO-wash convert since October 2010
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Twitter: @sweetpeacurli

Currently loving:
    • Vo5 tea therapy conditioners
    • Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner
    • Giovanni Direct leave-in
    • Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
    I am now completely out of the closet as the craziest of crazy cat ladies. I own it. I embrace it. I am one with the crazy.
    How do I sculpt my hair into curls? I have coarse-thick hair and idk if scrunching will help achieve my desired hairstyle...

Can I use a comb?
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Registered Users Posts: 1,589
    You can't sculpt into curls just yet but I would say in a matter pf weeks you should be able to do nice comb coils with some gel or shea butter and a small comb. You will have to look this up, because I cannot describe it well enough for you to know what I mean. I have sat here for several minutes trying to do so. Comb coils will really show off your texture nicely. Just make sure to keep your hair well moisturized because a nice shine makes comb coils look fantastic.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
    Thanks but comb coils are not the style I'm looking for.

I've decided on trying out Garnier Fructis Curl Cream Gel mixed with Lusters Pink Lotion for moisturizer. I think it sounds pretty good.

I use Selsun Blue due to dandruff but I don't see why its harmful for me? I know it strips the hair of natural oils but I replenish my scalp with Pink Lotion now and I have no problem at all. I am considering switching to a more moisturizing shampoo but being I have been using sulfate shampoos (Head & Shoulders, Selsun Blue) since I was young so I will probably keep using them.
    john-legend-profile.jpg

I've also been looking into this hairstyle. How do I go about achieving this?
  • jr.mint12jr.mint12 Registered Users Posts: 101
    thats a comb coil style
    jr.mint12 wrote: »
    thats a comb coil style

Thanks.
    below.
    This is the look I'm interested in:
    2.jpg
    I have decided to cut out Sulfate shampoos due to the fact that I wash my hair before I get a haircut, and since I can't put oil/moisturizer in it after wards (messes up the clippers) I get really dry hair and flakes.

I am going to purchase the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner and I'm assuming my hair will come out like this after being detangled?

What are your thoughts? Would I need a styling product?
    Bump
  • Tank10Tank10 Registered Users Posts: 119
    It's cool u used my pic as an example in the begining...I would recommend the Giovanni conditioner cause it help get my hair curly then I used this product by mizani called moisture stretch

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file