tmi, but itchy scalp :(

nanachannanachan Registered Users Posts: 110
so, i've been trying to go shampoo-less, but every time i hit day three, i get a horribly itchy scalp. its really bad. so i go to massage my scalp with a co-wash, but it just doesn't get rid of the itch. and its the type, where scratching it makes it worse :[ i don't know what to do, cuz i would love to go shampoo-less but i can't find a way to. any suggestions?
my hair loves::love7:
KCKT
CURLS goddess curls[/COLOR]
Trader Joe's Tea tree conditioner

I'm on my way to growing out my hair to BSL and possibly longer- to also grow out a horrible uneven cut!

before:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    How often are you co-washing when you start? Are you diligent about scrubbing when washing the conditioner off? What conditioner are you using? Do you also have visible build-up? Did you do a final shampoo wash?

There could be a few different reasons. In the mean-time, adding brown sugar to your co-wash conditioner will give you some mild exfoliation, get rid of build-up, and help with the itch.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    Sounds like more going on here. If removing build-up doesn't work, here are some other suggestions.
    Allergies can cause itching, either allergens (or irritants) in contact with your scalp or the ones you breathe. Washing them off is a good idea.

Eczema can cause itching, so can seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff). Both are skin diseases of inflammation and both make the skin susceptible to infections which can also cause additional itching.

A product you use could cause you a problem. Or you could have a skin condition. If you can, it's a good idea to see a doctor or dermatologist (ideally on an itchy day, since you can predict them)!
    Hope it gets under control soon, that's no fun.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I guess if this wasn't happening when you shampooed, maybe going shampoo-less doesn't work that well for you. I hope I'm not being a "downer" but it doesn't work for everyone. It didn't work for me - my scalp wouldn't stop itching so I low poo when necessary.

If you try the suggestions from the other curlies and you are still having this problem, maybe be a little less hard on yourself in trying to "follow the rules."

Good luck whatever you do. I'll watch for an update. :sunny:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • nanachannanachan Registered Users Posts: 110
    so i tried all the suggestions, and even tried to brown sugar, but i've come to the conclusion, that i wont be able to do the no-poo regimen. :( especially with the cold dry north-eastern weather coming along, its going to be a smarter idea to just shampoo my hair. but i'm not using sulfate shampoo, right now, im polishing off a bottle of deva-curl [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-lowpoo]low-poo[/buylink], and then afterwards, i have a bottle of burts bees green tea and fennel seed. hope my hair says healthy :/
    KCKT

I'm on my way to growing out my hair to BSL and possibly longer- to also grow out a horrible uneven cut!

before:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ReekyReeky Registered Users Posts: 1,323
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the rule that if you go shampooless you must avoid (non water soluble) silicones because they build up? Both the herbal essences and the mixed chicks have silicones in them.. Maybe that's the issue.
    One thing that helps my itchies is brushing my scalp with my denman brush while cowashing.. Before I rinse I do a run thru w the denman..That is the best!
    Try switching up your products or if u want.. Shampoo your scalp only when needed, and cowash as your primary form of cleansing. That's what lots of people do including myself!
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • Goin'GreyGoin'Grey Registered Users Posts: 301 Curl Neophyte
    When I started the itchies happened to me too. I am telling you, try different things...like maybe soap bar or if you must shampoo, but get back on the no poo, because what is happening is your scalp is adjusting. The darn detergent in shampoo has so dried out the scalp it it literally healing! My scalp crawled with itchies and I did break down and shampoo a few times, but I was able to go longer and longer and then the itch passed.

Keep experimenting...you can't make a mistake.
    3A, Protein Senitive, Low Porosity,
    Med-Course
    Wash: Suave Naturals Conds (excluding Coconut), CVSB
    Rinse out/Leave In: GVP Cond. Balm, KCKT,
    Style: Naturelle Gel(winter HG), KCCC (summer HG), Flaxseed gel
    SOTC: JCNS
    Love your hair: Love yourself!
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    Reeky is right that using non-watersoluble cones while not using the appropriate solvents to remove them could well be the cause of your itch. That's why people going CG are advised not to use products with non-watersoluble cones.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    Reeky is right that using non-watersoluble cones while not using the appropriate solvents to remove them could well be the cause of your itch. That's why people going CG are advised not to use products with non-watersoluble cones.

i have a hard time finding the right products. perhaps u can point me in a general direction for styling products?
    KCKT

before:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    The amodimethicone in the Mixed Chicks Leave In Conditioner will come out with LoPoo.

The PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone in TRESemme 24 Hour Body Sculpting Spray Gel (the only TRESemme gel I found on drugstore.com) is water soluble. I don't use water soluble cones, but some people do.

Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Moisturizing Conditioner OTOH has two non-watersoluble cones, cyclopentasiloxane, and dimethicone, so you need to ditch that. You'll need to clarify once so you can re-start CG. You'll need to get a cone free conditioner. Any of the Suave Naturals conditioners, or VO5 conditioners, TRESemme Naturals conditioners, or the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner in the dark green bottle are cone free. There are quite a few others.

There's a list of cone free styling products here.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    The amodimethicone in the Mixed Chicks Leave In Conditioner will come out with LoPoo.

The PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone in TRESemme 24 Hour Body Sculpting Spray Gel (the only TRESemme gel I found on drugstore.com) is water soluble. I don't use water soluble cones, but some people do.

Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Moisturizing Conditioner OTOH has two non-watersoluble cones, cyclopentasiloxane, and dimethicone, so you need to ditch that. You'll need to clarify once so you can re-start CG. You'll need to get a cone free conditioner. Any of the Suave Naturals conditioners, or VO5 conditioners, TRESemme Naturals conditioners, or the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner in the dark green bottle are cone free. There are quite a few others.

There's a list of cone free styling products here.

this was a HUUUGEEEE help. thanks soo much
    KCKT

before:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file