Do most men wear boxers?

medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
I'm going to preface this by saying that I did not grow up with men in my house. I never paid attention to what guys wore underneath their clothing. I remember Markie Mark in those CK ads from the 90's, but that's about it.

pic01.jpg

So, my 11 year-old came home complaining that he's being teased about his tighty whities, during gym. He says most kids wear boxers and "I'm hanging by a thread, mom." I had no idea undergarments were so important in middle school. I called my husband and asked him what most guys in the locker room are wearing, he tells me boxers. All these years I've been buying the kid Fruit of the Loom briefs because I'm going by what his dad wears. But I guess my husband is not a good role model of underwear. :lol:

I've got to buy the kid some boxers. I can't imagine those things to be comfy under a pair of pants. Wouldn't they scrunch up? Moms of boys, what do you buy?

Comments

• fraufrau Registered Users Posts: 6,130 Curl Neophyte
    there have only been 2 men in my life in the past decade but they both wore some version of these: click

mostly that length but in summer they wore the shorter cut almost always in the color black or grey.

note! some young black guys wear their pants sagging and they wear boxers with those types of pants. the sagging style isn't in fashion where i live. (sagging pants is hood apparel)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I've seen quite a few men with their pants down in my life, and they wear the full spectrum of underwear...from bikinis to briefs to boxers to...nothing. Boys in school, though, tend to wear boxers...or boxer-briefs. I do not know how they get all that fabric under their pants and still feel comfortable, but that seems to be what they like. My 10 year old son just switched from briefs to boxer-briefs. The boxer-briefs seem to be have a lot less fabric than plain boxers.
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    frau wrote: »

Hmmm, it does look like he's wearing tight briefs. My son refuses to wear jeans, not sure why. He wears cargo pants that don't hang (although the hem drags with some pairs because he hasn't hit his growth spurt).
    IBoys in school, though, tend to wear boxers...or boxer-briefs. I do not know how they get all that fabric under their pants and still feel comfortable, but that seems to be what they like. My 10 year old son just switched from briefs to boxer-briefs. The boxer-briefs seem to be have a lot less fabric than plain boxers.

You mean something like this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKweBQrv5qtdaYt1vVClk7RT5He3U2nf6q9OVQeqgjTLW3F2Q&t=1&usg=__14i0NvYGVl1jqT9XYgDD9pHnZ3o=

I think this is a good compromise. I think the boy will feel less naked in the locker room and there won't be that extra fabric one would get with boxers.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    My husband wore only boxers before we got married until I introduced him to boxer briefs. Now he wears a combo. The five year old wears briefs and some boxer briefs. There is nothing funnier to me than his skinny legs poking out of some boxer briefs.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • GuardianBGuardianB Registered Users Posts: 1,905 Curl Connoisseur
    Boxer briefs for both my teenage boys. They had some boxers but it they wear warm-up pants... it's not a good thing with loose fitting boxers. At least the briefs give some snug and support. The regular tighty whitey briefs though they all but refuse to wear.

So boxer briefs it is. Target has plenty of options;
    ref=br_qi_1_7?sr=1-15&qid=1288963710&asin=B0039RCIQA
    ref=in_se_pagelist_btm_2?ie=UTF8&node=3516081&searchSize=30&searchView=grid3&searchPage=2&rh=&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=salesrank
    ~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous
  • wonderdiana - shopaholic takes a napwonderdiana - shopaholic takes a nap Registered Users Posts: 1,728 Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, I think most dudes are wearing boxers or boxer briefs. The cool ones, anyway :)
    2C/3A -- wurly!
  • MunchyMunchy Registered Users Posts: 5,206 Curl Novice
    Yeah, I think most dudes are wearing boxers or boxer briefs. The cool ones, anyway :)

Agreed :)

• subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    i've never seen a grown man who wears briefs. when i first started seeing men in their undies, they were wearing boxers, but i think the vast majority of men that i know wear boxer briefs.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm so glad boxer-briefs exist. They really are a win-win situation. They satisfy our need for a nonpanty look and their need for support.
    :occasion5:

• PoodleheadPoodlehead Registered Users Posts: 6,959
    My boys both wear boxer briefs. Hubby wears knit boxers. I did have to switch everyone over from tidy whities.

All I hear from the locker room is that the rowdy boys spray everyone with Axe.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • SaroyanSaroyan Registered Users Posts: 398
    Poodlehead, my boyfriend wears those Hanes knit boxers, too. My experience with other pantsless boys is limited(!) but no, I don't think many of them wear briefs.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
    Becks wears briefs. It's not a horrid look.

david_beckham.jpg
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Registered Users Posts: 6,959
    When your son looks like Beckham, he'll be able to get away with it. :D
    Minneapolis, MN
    Poodlehead wrote: »
    When your son looks like Beckham, he'll be able to get away with it. :D

Thanks for the laugh! I almost woke the baby up! :evil4:
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte

Boxer briefs are more expensive, I see. For the amount I'd pay for the boxer briefs, I could by double the amount of briefs.
  • CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Registered Users Posts: 2,648 Curl Neophyte
    frau wrote: »
    there have only been 2 men in my life in the past decade but they both wore some version of these: click

mostly that length but in summer they wore the shorter cut almost always in the color black or grey.

note! some young black guys wear their pants sagging and they wear boxers with those types of pants. the sagging style isn't in fashion where i live. (sagging pants is hood apparel)

I made a mistake and bought those for my husband, and he accused me of trying to get him to wear women's underwear. I didn't notice that they did not have that hole thingy.

These are what I meant to buy...
    740631_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=167&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

hole thingy.
    :laughing8:
  • CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Registered Users Posts: 2,648 Curl Neophyte
    I'm so glad boxer-briefs exist. They really are a win-win situation. They satisfy our need for a nonpanty look and their need for support.
    :occasion5:

And they're hot too! Boxers are so not, and tighty-whiteys may as well have Spiderman all over them, since they are just a step away from underroos! ;)

medussa wrote: »
    david_beckham.jpg

I'm kinda diggin' this look. Sigh...my husband won't go for it though. He won't even wear the boxer briefs. He'll only wear woven cotton baggy boxers. He claims he needs the b*llroom.
  • SariaSaria Registered Users Posts: 15,963
    In ny experience, yes, and thank god for that! I don't care for the briefs look. Even on Becks, they just look so tiny and absurd. Heh. Boxer briefs are alright though.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    No one's balls are THAT big! Maybe they're just getting tangled up :laughing8:
  • wonderdiana - shopaholic takes a napwonderdiana - shopaholic takes a nap Registered Users Posts: 1,728 Curl Neophyte

Don't be too sure of that!
    2C/3A -- wurly!
  • Who Me?Who Me? Registered Users Posts: 3,181
    Poodlehead wrote: »
    My boys both wear boxer briefs. Hubby wears knit boxers. I did have to switch everyone over from tidy whities.

All I hear from the locker room is that the rowdy boys spray everyone with Axe.

Is this a typo, or do you really call them "tidy whities"? Because it's cracking me up. TIGHTIE not TIDY!

But yeah, they're basically considered little boy underwear. I'm sure some grown men wear them too, but it middle school it's just oh-so-important to seem grown up and be just like your peers!
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON

I think it's the tangled-up thing. He doesn't like to be confined. I've never met a man with such sensitive boys.

I think it's the tangled-up thing. He doesn't like to be confined. I've never met a man with such sensitive boys.

My husband always wore one waistband size up, just to avoid this feeling. At night, he takes them off altogether. My son does the same thing. Not sure if he's modeling dad or if he just likes being free too.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    Boxers.

Briefs are probably thought of as feminine among 11-year-old boys.
    medussa wrote: »

My husband always wore one waistband size up, just to avoid this feeling. At night, he takes them off altogether. My son does the same thing. Not sure if he's modeling dad or if he just likes being free too.
    You mean, off, off?! :o
  • GuardianBGuardianB Registered Users Posts: 1,905 Curl Connoisseur
    I still have tightie whities. They get used occasionally with sports under jocks straps or with dress uniforms.
    I only have a few pair of boxer briefs that are cut in a way that doesn't bunch when in our blues uniform slacks so I use the briefs I have. I have some bikinis too. They are good with tighter jeans. Just a few boxers which can be really comfortable either when sleeping in the summer or under loose cargo pants.
    The boxer briefs are of a varying cuts and materials. Ribbed, cotton, buttons, no-hole-front, etc.
    ~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file