New York Times Article on Brazilian Blowout

After reading this article, once again, I don't know what to believe. The fact that the article doesn't clearly distinguish the brands doesn't help. I would have liked to have known how the safety of a BB and a relaxer compare, vis-a-vis the client who is getting these procedures only a few times a year. I understand why the operators would need to protect themselves, as they're applying this product all day long.

The photo seems exploitatively alarmist.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/04/fashion/04SKIN.html

Couple of interesting remarks in the comments:

The New York Times doesn't think the issue of hair product safety is important unless it affects white women;

The paper is once again reinforcing a certain standard of beauty.

http://community.nytimes.com/comments/www.nytimes.com/2010/11/04/fashion/04SKIN.html?sort=oldest&offset=2

As I have considered getting this treatment for control and a looser curl, I would love to have some reliable information.

Comments

• freemayofreemayo Posts: 53Registered Users
    If you go to the following article:
    http://www.komonews.com/news/consumer/106860638.html

and go to the very bottom of the page and click on "read osha's report on formaldehyde..," then you'll get a pdf file. Its oregon osha's final report.

If you go to page 22, you'll see that they did test a few other bottles of keratin products. About a couple each.

They found qOD had 2%, keragreen had 1.5%, marcia teixeira had 1.6% and so forth. There are only a few samples but it still is somewhat helpful.

The formaldehyde #'s for brazilian blowout (8%) are freaking out of this world high though. I'd be using a respirator too if I were using that product.
  • stylistlaciestylistlacie Posts: 10Registered Users
    freemayo wrote: »
    If you go to the following article:
    Concerns spread about formaldehyde in hair products | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News | Consumer News

and go to the very bottom of the page and click on "read osha's report on formaldehyde..," then you'll get a pdf file. Its oregon osha's final report.

If you go to page 22, you'll see that they did test a few other bottles of keratin products. About a couple each.

They found qOD had 2%, keragreen had 1.5%, marcia teixeira had 1.6% and so forth. There are only a few samples but it still is somewhat helpful.

The formaldehyde #'s for brazilian blowout (8%) are freaking out of this world high though. I'd be using a respirator too if I were using that product.

Most of these companies have come out with low formaldehyde since they were busted poisoning their customers. For example, I just started using KeraGreen, which made their product even more natural after the OSHA report (they sent some promo to me claiming that KeraGreen's new formula contains as much formaldehyde as 292 bananas). Coppola and Brazilian Blowout both did similar things after this report put a nice dent in their reputations, though they are nowhere near natural like some keratin products.

Most of my clients end up loving their Keratin treatments, even the reprehensive ones. Give it a try!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file