FLORIDA gathering

FrenchgirlFrenchgirl Registered Users Posts: 9
Hello sunny curlies!

I posted this in the hair discussion board, but SherryL kindly pointed me to this board.

I'd love to meet my fellow Florida curlies. What do you think about doing it in Orlando? It's pretty central, and there would be a wide choices of exciting meeting places.
When would you be available?
biracial (black/white) 3b curls

Comments

• SherryLSherryL Registered Users Posts: 82
    **Just re-posting my post from the GD board**

I would prefer Orlando!!!
    I live in the Fort Myers area (more specifically, Punta Gorda)... and even though it "looks" like the drive is closer to Miami, it's actually a shorter drive to Orlando (3 hrs vs. 2:15).

Also, Orlando is probably a very "central" spot. I don't think that the ladies in Tallahassee or Jacksonville would want to make the trek to Miami.

With Orlando, we could do a theme park for a day (Disney, Universal, Sea World... whatever) or a restaurant...

As for the "when"... definitely a weekend. Perhaps during the summer... more folks would be out of school and able to make it!

Sher
    3a, BSL, color treated/highlighted, fine strands (but lots of them), high porosity
    Routine: Modified CG, protein lover

:walk:
    I'm a curly-headed runner, triathlete and foodie! Sweat, chlorine, sun... my hair gets tortured by it daily. It somehow always manages to 'bounce' another day!
  • BrendaEBrendaE Registered Users Posts: 1
    I'd go, I'm in Tampa, so Orlando would be fine for me too! icon_smile.gif

[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: curls4ever ]
    I didn't do it...
  • PebblesPebbles Registered Users Posts: 24
    I would go if it is in Orlando. I live in Tallahassee.
  • spiralsandtwistsspiralsandtwists Registered Users Posts: 13
    Im in Tallahassee too. Just give me a bit of a notice money is tight!
  • katinabobynakatinabobyna Registered Users Posts: 6
    I just moved to Orlando recently and was hoping to pull off a curly meeting here. I am wondering if any of you are still in this area and would like to try it again YEARS later.
    Love is like hot chocolate; at first it takes you by surprise but it keeps you warm for a long time.
  • cjccjc Registered Users Posts: 636
    I live in Palm Beach County and may be interested. I can make it a weekend getaway depending on the date. Hopefully there will be more curlies.
    cjc
    3B very thick, curly hair and on the longer side
    Palm Beach County, Fl
  • goldygoldy Registered Users Posts: 5,463 Curl Connoisseur
    they had one last november.. it seemed like about 4-6 said they would make it and only two showed up link
    i couldn't make it to that one.. but i'm up for another try!
  • urbancurlurbancurl Registered Users Posts: 980
    Let's try again!! After Wilma passes... :?
    "It is wrong to use moral means to preserve immoral ends." MLK, Jr.

Password= urban
    urbancurl wrote:

Definitely!!...Good luck to everyone...stay safe...
    cjc
    Palm Beach County, Fl
    cjc wrote:
    urbancurl wrote:

Thanks CJC! Wishing I was on the other coast with you! Actually we might get together with my SOs mom, who lives in Fort Myers, and drive to the East Coast somewhere. I guess even there though, you guys might be getting some strong winds. So you stay safe too!

Password= urban
  • alim1216alim1216 Registered Users Posts: 240
    urbancurl wrote:
    cjc wrote:
    urbancurl wrote:

Thanks CJC! Wishing I was on the other coast with you! Actually we might get together with my SOs mom, who lives in Fort Myers, and drive to the East Coast somewhere. I guess even there though, you guys might be getting some strong winds. So you stay safe too!

Urban, you may be better off staying right where you are! they say this thing is likely to increase to a Category 3 before it hits Florida and the outer bands to the south will be more intense than the ones to the north. they said Collier, Lee, Dade and Broward counties will likely be the most affected. I'm in Broward!!! Stay safe above all Urban!!!

As to a curly-girl get together, that would be cool! I couldn't do it right this minute though, unless you can do it by the 1st weekend in Nov. as I have to be there for seminars that weekend (A barrel of fun :cry: ). Otherwise, I will have to wait a bit, but would love to get together with the curlies! What would be fabulous is if we could get a hotel-full of curly tops! Can you imagine the look on the faces of the remaining hotel guests and staff???? LOL :lol:
    Hair 3a/3b.
    Its getting really windy here...just the beginning...everyone stay safe!
    cjc
    Palm Beach County, Fl
    alim1216 wrote:
    urbancurl wrote:
    cjc wrote:
    urbancurl wrote:

Urban, you may be better off staying right where you are! they say this thing is likely to increase to a Category 3 before it hits Florida and the outer bands to the south will be more intense than the ones to the north. they said Collier, Lee, Dade and Broward counties will likely be the most affected. I'm in Broward!!! Stay safe above all Urban!!!

As to a curly-girl get together, that would be cool! I couldn't do it right this minute though, unless you can do it by the 1st weekend in Nov. as I have to be there for seminars that weekend (A barrel of fun :cry: ). Otherwise, I will have to wait a bit, but would love to get together with the curlies! What would be fabulous is if we could get a hotel-full of curly tops! Can you imagine the look on the faces of the remaining hotel guests and staff???? LOL :lol:

ALIM, we are fine, are you? You were right, I think you east-coasters might have felt it more than we did here in the Tampa Bay area.

CJC, have things calmed down yet where you are?

I'm guessing that before the 1st week in Nov. would be cutting it close for some people (not me, as I'm unemployed!), but when will you be free after that? What kind of seminars do you have to go to? The hotel staff will be standing there with their mouths hanging open, stunned by the beauty of all of us and our curls! :D

Password= urban
    Well we suffered some roof damage, our screened in patio no longer exists, our landscaping is history and we have no power. otherwise we are fine! Thank goodness for dial-up! :D

As to a curly get together, my seminars are long and boring, involving worker compensation rules and regulations updates. However, they are necessary so I must go. They are an all day event.

I was thinking maybe we should take our time and plan something for next year, maybe late spring or early summer. by then the tourists are usually heading home and the hotels rates begin to drop, plus the weather is usually pretty good...just a thought...
    Hair 3a/3b.
    alim1216 wrote:
    Well we suffered some roof damage, our screened in patio no longer exists, our landscaping is history and we have no power. otherwise we are fine! Thank goodness for dial-up! :D

As to a curly get together, my seminars are long and boring, involving worker compensation rules and regulations updates. However, they are necessary so I must go. They are an all day event.

I was thinking maybe we should take our time and plan something for next year, maybe late spring or early summer. by then the tourists are usually heading home and the hotels rates begin to drop, plus the weather is usually pretty good...just a thought...

Woa, all that happened to your house and yard!? Sounds like you have a very positive attitude. Well I am very glad that you and your family are fine!

I like your idea of late spring/early summer for our get-together!

Password= urban
    HI...I posted on the another thread..hear we go again.....
    It was very bad down here...a tree fall on my car...just got my power back this morning....most everything is closed...publix opened with limited supplies. Alot of tree damage and many cars got damaged. But...I did get to know my neighbors...we had a BBQ under the stars..it was very nice. Thankgoodnes the weather got cooler

Next yr sound great for a gathering. If anyone lives near Palm Beach County, maybe we can do a mini gathering........go for some cofffee or lunch..very casual.

Good Luck to everyone.....
    cjc
    Palm Beach County, Fl
    OMG, I'm sorry all that happened, CJC! Good luck to you!

Password= urban
    cjc wrote:
    HI...I posted on the another thread..hear we go again.....
    It was very bad down here...a tree fall on my car...just got my power back this morning....most everything is closed...publix opened with limited supplies. Alot of tree damage and many cars got damaged. But...I did get to know my neighbors...we had a BBQ under the stars..it was very nice. Thankgoodnes the weather got cooler

Next yr sound great for a gathering. If anyone lives near Palm Beach County, maybe we can do a mini gathering........go for some cofffee or lunch..very casual.

Good Luck to everyone.....

Hi Girls! Long time no speak!!! I ran out of "Lap Top Juice" a couple days after I posted here. Barely had enough time left on battery power to email my insurance co. a claim! We had NO POWER for 10 days, and there are still some people down here in Broward and Dade counties without. The office just got their power back on Saturday! Man, Wilma did some damage! Glad to be back! Missed all you gals! :D

Anyway, I think it would be wise to wait till, say January or February and start pricing hotels. Doesn't have to be fancy but it definitely has to be CLEAN!!! If we do a weeken in late spring/early summer, AND if we are ALL over 21, we could do Pleasure Island or what's the other one over there?...City Walk or something like that? Anyway, it's an assortment of dance clubs and restaurants...go out one evening and let "our curly hair down", listen to some music, or something along those lines. Or as someone suggested, (was it you CJC?) a Disney, Universal Studios, or Sea World day! Personally, I've lived in FLA 46 years and have NEVER been to Sea World! Been to Disney twice and Universal once! How pathetic is that!?

Anyway, if we got commitments and deposits at the hotel or something - that is to say, everyone calls and books, maybe they'd give us a group rate, but I imagine it would have to be a fairly large no. of people - 25 or something. I don't know too much about that stuff. Anybody know?
    Hair 3a/3b.
    OMG, Alim, I didn't realize you were going through such he!! !

((((((((((((hugs!))))))))))))))

We were hardly affected at all in Tampa.

I looooove the idea of Sea World or Disney! But anything would be fine.

So some people would want to stay in a hotel, and not just make it a day thing? I was thinking it would be a drive to whatever city we choose, and we spend the day and/or evening. But I'm open...

Password= urban
    urbancurl wrote:

So some people would want to stay in a hotel, and not just make it a day thing? I was thinking it would be a drive to whatever city we choose, and we spend the day and/or evening. But I'm open...

The problem is that many of us live 3 or more hours away from Orlando. I myself live nearly 4 hours away! I would have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat traffic outta here and then after a long day, a 4 hour drive home on the turnpike is not exactly appealing. However, it would strictly be a matter of each person's discretion as to whether they were going to come in for the day or do an overnighter. Make sense???? :wink:
    Hair 3a/3b.
    alim1216 wrote:
    urbancurl wrote:

The problem is that many of us live 3 or more hours away from Orlando. I myself live nearly 4 hours away! I would have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat traffic outta here and then after a long day, a 4 hour drive home on the turnpike is not exactly appealing. However, it would strictly be a matter of each person's discretion as to whether they were going to come in for the day or do an overnighter. Make sense???? :wink:

Yup, makes sense!

Plus it would be fun to have a slumber party!

Password= urban
    there's an idea! THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.... :wink::lol:
    Hair 3a/3b.
    I would have to do a weekend thing. I live in Palm Beach County and its about a 3hr drive. Seaworld sounds fun, but I'm easy going and almost anything will do. Was at Pleasure Island yrs ago and had a great time.
    cjc
    Palm Beach County, Fl
    cjc wrote:
    I would have to do a weekend thing. I live in Palm Beach County and its about a 3hr drive. Seaworld sounds fun, but I'm easy going and almost anything will do. Was at Pleasure Island yrs ago and had a great time.

I've heard Pleasure Island is really cool and a lot of fun, but I've never been. What's it like CJC? Fill us in! :D
    Hair 3a/3b.
    I was at Pleasure Island in the 90's. I believe you have to be of drinking age to get in. Its basically an "island" of a variety of bars and clubs. Its better to go at night. They have places where you can dance. It reminded me of when I use to "bar hop" in college. You can probably go online to get an idea.

Last time I was in Orlando about 3 yrs ago...I stayed at one of their Value Resorts..no bells or whistles..but it was pretty reasonable. I dont mind going for a weekend..it would be a mini vacation for me.
    cjc
    Palm Beach County, Fl
    cjc wrote:
    I was at Pleasure Island in the 90's. I believe you have to be of drinking age to get in. Its basically an "island" of a variety of bars and clubs. Its better to go at night. They have places where you can dance. It reminded me of when I use to "bar hop" in college. You can probably go online to get an idea.

Last time I was in Orlando about 3 yrs ago...I stayed at one of their Value Resorts..no bells or whistles..but it was pretty reasonable. I dont mind going for a weekend..it would be a mini vacation for me.

sounds like fun! I love music and it would definitely be a mini-vacay for me too! Nothing like "getting outta Dodge" for a weekend of R & R! :wink:
    Hair 3a/3b.
  • queencurlyqueencurly Registered Users Posts: 56
    Count me in as well!!! I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area, in Plantation. And I don't mind the drive at all!!! This sounds like fun!
    Everybody should learn to embrace the blessings that are in front of them.
    http://iamatraveler-adventuresoflife.blogspot.com/
    queencurly wrote:
    Count me in as well!!! I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area, in Plantation. And I don't mind the drive at all!!! This sounds like fun!

Queen, you probably don't live far from me! :D East or West Plantation?
    Hair 3a/3b.
  • queencurlyqueencurly Registered Users Posts: 56
    Hey Alim1216,

I think it's central Plantation. I live off of S. Pine Island Rd. and Broward BLVD. I don't know if you are familiar with that area, but I hate the apartments that I'm staying in!! My lease is up in Febuary, so I'm planning on moving to somewhere else. I was looking at Sunrise, so I may move there. My full time job is in Weston though, and I would love to move to Weston, but I wouldn't be able to afford the rent!!! Oh well. So you live in Plantation as well? I may just get another apartment in Plantation too, because my part-time job is in Plantation, and I don't mind living in Plantation, I just hate my current apartment complex!!!!
    Everybody should learn to embrace the blessings that are in front of them.
    http://iamatraveler-adventuresoflife.blogspot.com/
    queencurly wrote:
    Hey Alim1216,

I think it's central Plantation. I live off of S. Pine Island Rd. and Broward BLVD. I don't know if you are familiar with that area, but I hate the apartments that I'm staying in!! My lease is up in Febuary, so I'm planning on moving to somewhere else. I was looking at Sunrise, so I may move there. My full time job is in Weston though, and I would love to move to Weston, but I wouldn't be able to afford the rent!!! Oh well. So you live in Plantation as well? I may just get another apartment in Plantation too, because my part-time job is in Plantation, and I don't mind living in Plantation, I just hate my current apartment complex!!!!

Wow, girl, You are really puttin' in some time with all that work!!! Florida, particularly s. Florida is becoming unaffordable! I live in Weston, actually, but we moved here just as the real estate bubble started, so we got in on time before the prices skyrocketed - thank goodness!

Sunrise has some fine areas, and I believe, a number of nice apartment complexes. On the upside of your location in Plantation, you're close to a couple of pretty decent shopping malls! :wink::D
    Hair 3a/3b.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file