Going shampoo-less = major tangles! help!

SpeirsArtSpeirsArt Registered Users Posts: 43
Hi All
So I was CG for a good 5-6 months, I got through the transition and my curls looked great but for some reason I could not get a comb through my hair until I shampoo'd!

whats the deal with this?

could use help or if there is a thread already about this, could use a link.

thanks!
feel free to check out my artwork
www.rachaelspeirs.com

Medium on top, coarse underneath, med-high porosity
was 2B on top 3A and 3B underneath
but since growing out and going CG I am now a combo of 3A and 3B with 3C underneath
CG
Love: coconut oil, lavender EO, GFTN
Growing out since 2008, down past collarbone but I want it past my bra strap...I long for a giant head of long soft curls:sunny:

Comments

• IggyIggy Registered Users Posts: 51
    Do you mean combing your hair when its dry?
    My hair gets a little tangled after 3 or 4 days without co-washing, but once I get in the shower and put some condish on, it gets soft and really easy to untangle with little to no breakage... I never comb my hair dry, it can give you some major breakage!
    Almost 6 years natural, and NOW I'm taking care of my hair. Shame on me :angry3::angry3:

3c mixed with 3b ends because of heat damage.

Fine, low porosity

My hair is in love with protein, EVOO and Coconut Milk!

Experimenting with new produtos almost everyweek :sunny:
  • SpeirsArtSpeirsArt Registered Users Posts: 43
    sadly no, its when I am in the shower with condish

I did protein treatments, deep condish, got a trim, coconut oil...everything and it was still impossible to comb unless I shampoo'd

possibly buildup?

what do shampoo-less curlies do to clean their hair other than conditioner?
    feel free to check out my artwork
    www.rachaelspeirs.com

Medium on top, coarse underneath, med-high porosity
    was 2B on top 3A and 3B underneath
    but since growing out and going CG I am now a combo of 3A and 3B with 3C underneath
    CG
    Love: coconut oil, lavender EO, GFTN
    Growing out since 2008, down past collarbone but I want it past my bra strap...I long for a giant head of long soft curls:sunny:
  • morrighumorrighu Registered Users Posts: 707
    I found that I had to transition to being poo-less. I tried several times to go to a no-poo routine but my scalp would get too oily or too flaky or too itchy so I gave up just being able to switch. However, in order to stop the tanglies, you may have to change styling products. Read the ingredients very carefully on EVERYTHING you put in your hair. If you find just ONE ingredient that ends in -xane or -cone, you need to trash that item and do one last sulfate poo in order to get rid of the build up.

First I moved to a sulfate free shampoo. When I first started using it, it was 3-4 times a week. Otherwise, I had really oily, flaky hair. Gradually, I was able to skip here and there. Once I got to where I could shampoo just a couple of times a week, then I started mixing conditioner with the shampoo. It took almost another year before I was able to stop using shampoo. Now I use Suave Naturals, V05 Tea Therapy or V05 Moisture Milks to "shampoo" my hair. It just epends on what's been on sale lately and/or what I have had a coupon for.

As far as conditioning and detangling, I use Nature's Gate Sunflower & Pomegranate as a conditioner. At this point, I'm not really trying to do anything but finger comb my hair a bit. Once that soaks a bit, you can rinse it and move on to the more expensive high-slip conditioner or leave-in/detangler.

You will want to apply more conditioner until your hair becomes "seaweedy" in texture. This usually takes quite a bit more conditioner than you think. You'll want to work it around a lot and let your hair kind of wallow in it. Then I get the denman brush and starting at the ends begin to gently detangle and brush it.

At this point, I don't rinse out my conditioner. I may add something like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] over it because that helps keep my hair from forming hard dry knots at the ends.

HTH

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file