Lifetime Healthy Hair Challenge!

Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Registered Users Posts: 955
Hello all:blob4:! I am currently 14wks into my healthy hair journey & 20wks post relaxer. I had been toying w/the idea of being a yr to a 2yr transitioner however after realizing how much healthier my hair has become over the past few months I am now going to continue to transition then grow my hair out for as long as I possibly can (w/all going well & no need to have to chop, ie:no severe breakage,etc).

I would like to invite you all to join me no matter what stage you are in your transition/continuing healthy hair journey. Trims are allowed as is cutting if its for you. You can color, or rinse, however no perms, texturizers, perm. hair coloring & no direct heat 80% of the time (I understand those of you who straighten to trim or do length checks however if you must just protect that hair!). You must do protective as well as low maintence styling at least 80% of the time and maintain a regular hair care regime which you list to share w/others as well as no less than a monthly update.

Ok ladies/gentlemen...don't want to exclude any of you:hello2:, the bottom line is whatever you do w/ur hair, for the entire time you decide to keep it natural just be healthy about it. Make a promise to have and maintain the healthiest hair possible everyday you have it. Trust me I have seen first hand how when I love my hair it more than loves me back!

Hoping to get all of NC on board!

Current Reggie:
Daily: Prenatal multi vitamin
Sweet Almond oil/water spritz in am
Cantu Shea Butter leave-in followed by Grapeseed oil to seal in
pm
Weekly (every Friday):
W1) Shampoo, Condition, hot oil treatment w/heat
W2) Co-wash twice (once as a cleanser & again as a deep treat.
w/ heat) & then a acv rinse
W3)Shampoo, Condit. w/protein treat. w/heat
W4) Co-wash twice (once as a cleanser & again as a deep treat.
w/ heat) & then a acv rinse
& repeat on a consistent 4wk rotating schedule
Protective/Low Mait. Styles:
After I do my weekly routine, I put in Cantu leave in and twist
my hair in 4- 12 sections depending on how late it is or my
mood (every Friday I also give myself a mani/pedi as well as a
sort of reward for sticking to my schedule) & leave it in until I
wash my hair the next wk. I sometimes place a single twist in the
front to undo & blend into my quick weave when I go
out. Even tho my hair is shoulder length I still do not wear it
out & am waiting for a bit more length to come in.

Anyway heres to saying yah to spa days and wishing everyone the best on this path to a healthy hair lifestyle!
:thumbleft:!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!
(Transitioned for 16 & 1/2 months)

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png

Comments

• Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Registered Users Posts: 955
    Hello all. I guess since no one's posted (which is surprising to me...I mean aren't we all shooting for healthy hair here?:icon_smile:) anyhoo I just wanted to give an update to my initial post.

At 15wks I have 3inches of new growth in the front and middle & 4inches (I know woww rt!?) of new growth in the bk. I am no longer just "twisting" but putting my hair into bantu knots which stay in longer and insure that my transitioning ends are curly even after leaving them in for a wk.

One mistake I made was when some twists came loose I would just grab it and retwist w/out detangling first...big mistake:error:! When I went to wash my hair I had waaay more tangles than I normally do & it took me about 30mins to detangle my hair when it normally has been taking like 10 to 15mins. I also realized that the further I go in this transition the more parts I have to put into my hair when detangling. I normally do 4 but after struggling than putting my hair into 8 sections the detangling session became a breeze again.

So all is well (knock on wood) and I hope my transition continues to go this smoothly.
    Wishing you all the best:wav: !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png
    Hello all. I guess since no one's posted (which is surprising to me...I mean aren't we all shooting for healthy hair here?:icon_smile:) anyhoo I just wanted to give an update to my initial post.

At 15wks I have 3inches of new growth in the front and middle & 4inches (I know woww rt!?) of new growth in the bk. I am no longer just "twisting" but putting my hair into bantu knots which stay in longer and insure that my transitioning ends are curly even after leaving them in for a wk.

One mistake I made was when some twists came loose I would just grab it and retwist w/out detangling first...big mistake:error:! When I went to wash my hair I had waaay more tangles than I normally do & it took me about 30mins to detangle my hair when it normally has been taking like 10 to 15mins. I also realized that the further I go in this transition the more parts I have to put into my hair when detangling. I normally do 4 but after struggling than putting my hair into 8 sections the detangling session became a breeze again.

So all is well (knock on wood) and I hope my transition continues to go this smoothly.
    Wishing you all the best:wav: !

Hum...no takers? Well I just wanted to post my progress as of last night. I measured in multiple places & I have 3 & a half inches of ng on my rt side (it grows slower than the left) & four inches of ng every where else. I am becomming more & more excited every day(not just at what I'm seeing but also ab my dedication to doing something wonderful for myself) & I can't wait to be fully natural.

I have however made a change to my routine. It seems as tho my constant manipulation (rubbing in) of my Cantu leave in at night may eventually lead to breakage so I have decided to only use it on wash days and I made a homemade leave-in spritz w/Suave almond & shea butter condish, water & grapeseed oil. I continue to wish u all the best w/ur healthy hair journeys & I will post later ab the results of my updated reggie.

event.png

event.png
  • CSICSI Registered Users Posts: 140
    I'm all about healthy hair as well. I just don't want a lifetime commitment thingie but I'm in full agreement with you. Your hair seems to be growing beautifully. Are you doing anything else to get it to grow so? I'm about to make my 1 year anniversay and I have btwn 5"-51/2" all around. Some parts are 6". I have trimmed it once all year and on wet curly hair. I refuse to cut my hair while it's straight. I don't wear it straight so that doesn't make ANY sense to me. I have diff textures on my head as well so some parts curl tighter than others. if I cut them all evenly while flat ironed, that's a disaster when I want to do my wash and go's :) enjoy the journey :)
    CSI wrote: »
    I'm all about healthy hair as well. I just don't want a lifetime commitment thingie but I'm in full agreement with you. Your hair seems to be growing beautifully. Are you doing anything else to get it to grow so? I'm about to make my 1 year anniversay and I have btwn 5"-51/2" all around. Some parts are 6". I have trimmed it once all year and on wet curly hair. I refuse to cut my hair while it's straight. I don't wear it straight so that doesn't make ANY sense to me. I have diff textures on my head as well so some parts curl tighter than others. if I cut them all evenly while flat ironed, that's a disaster when I want to do my wash and go's :) enjoy the journey :)

Hi...I know...when u think ab it a "lifetime" challenge does sound kinda long lol. However it was not intended to say one must post/check-in for the rest of their life but rather making a pledge to care for their hair for the rest of their life...hopefully everyone will decide to stay natural but even if one does go bk it would be nice to know that everyone is still attempting to keep his/her hair as healthy as possible...thats all I was trying to do but it seems like no ones interested.

Oh well I know I am and I'm glad to hear that u r as well! As far as my routine, I have not been doing anything too special, just protective/low manipulation styling, sticking religously to my reggie, taking a vitamin daily, and drinking no less than 2 liters of water per day. I started out also working out 7 days no less than 5 days a wk however I have fallen off the exercise bangwagon & am trying to get my butt back in gear!

So here's to healthy hair & healthy bodies:headbang:!

event.png

event.png
    CSI wrote: »

Also congrats on reaching ur one yr anniversary:occasion7:! I would be doing bk flips if I were u...ok well not really. Lol I have noticed that as I have gotten older my body just doesn't wanna do the things it used to & now I'm afraid of breaking my leg by jumping off the swing at the park in mid air when playing w/my son. LOL.

event.png

event.png
    Thanks for the congrats on my 1 year. I'm sooo excited about that too. Didn't think it would ever come. Before you know it, you'll be there too. Now I can't wait to have 2 years. Never happy, huh? lol nah....I'm happy. ECSTATIC!!! I agree about the lifetime thing too. I've waited all too long to go natural and I will NEVER, EVER, EVER go back. I used to wish that I'd done it sooner but after thinking about and seeing others go through all the trouble of going natural and having like 5 years natural all to mess itup with color and/or flat ironing. I'm so glad I went through all that already so I know that coloring and flat ironing is a big NO WAY JOSE!! How long are you into your journey? which vitamin are you taking? I just started doing the Miconazole Nitrate on the scalp and I've seen 1/2" growth in less than 2 weeks. I plan on doing the Biotin vitamins as well. I found a girl on youtube that showed how she puts like an 1/2" strip of the MN in a bottle and about 2 tbl of water and mixes it up and applies it to the scalp and massages the scalp. I was a little apprehensive but it works!!! Hope I can get 6" in 6 months instead of the year that it's taken me :) We'll see. Happy journey!
    Sorry about the question already answered above :) I re-read it and got my answers :)
    No problem. Lol. I am officially 4months as of yesterday & I too can't wait until I'm at my yr mark & then of course I too will probably be in a rush to get to the 2nd & 3rd yr (I really sound hopeful huh but I am dediciated to staying w/this journey). The beauty of natural hair is like no other & I have no intention of ever going bk to chemicals either!

event.png

event.png
    So...it has been almost a wk since I dropped my cantu leave in for my homemade spritz of Suave Almond & Shea Butter condish., grapeseed oil & water & I am really loving the difference I see in my hair:love10:! I mean my hair looks and feels softer, is waaaaaaaay more moisturized and I'm looking in the mirror constantly bc my curls are POPPIN!

I mean I used to get excited when wash day was coming just so I could see my new growth out of my protective style however now w/my recent switch I am seeing curls all over the place. Even my little baby hairs have curled up & not to mention my kitchen! LOL. I never thought I would see the day that my kitchen looked good w/out a relaxer in it! I was committed to this journey before however I am even more excited to continue so that I can see the true beauty of my natural texture!

Hope u all are loving ur transition like I am mine!

event.png

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file