New CurlTalk design!

GretchenGretchen AdministratorModerators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
As promised, we've launched our new CurlTalk look, to more closely match the rest of NaturallyCurly.

We got feedback from several of you and made some adjustments, and our ears are open to more suggestions and ideas.

The most exciting news is that THE ORANGE IS GONE!!!! (See, we do listen! ;) )

We still have some tweaks to do, but we really hope you like it.

Gretchen
NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
3A

You are beautiful!

Comments

• CurlykeyCurlykey Registered Users Posts: 1,540 Curl Novice
    I like it!!! :thumbleft:
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Registered Users Posts: 1,657 Curl Neophyte
    Nice! Easy on the eyes!

The only thing left that is tough to read is my username and logout in orange. It either needs to be a different orange or larger font. It blends too well into the turquoise.

Thanks for continuing to make the site a fun and beautiful place to play!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • curry curlscurry curls Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Curl Connoisseur
    *Love* the pink! :)
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

Co-wash: Deva Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: Deva Decadence One Condition
    Leave-in/Styling: Deva Decadence One Condition and Deva Heaven In Hair
    Others: ACV rinses and protein treatments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    I am soo glad the orange is gone. It grated on my nerves every day. Love the soothing turquoisey color and I even like the mauvey raspberry color.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Registered Users Posts: 1,637 Curl Neophyte
    It's a little bit Lisa Frank-esque for me--would it be possible to have another skin installed so we could choose for ourselves?
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • SaroyanSaroyan Registered Users Posts: 398
    I like the pink. Still think the turquoise is too bright, but it looks like it's here to stay.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    I got used to the orange...considering Tejas, and all! :compress:
    I think the purple would be a nice contrast...my kid loves purple! :tongue5:
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    I love the look and the turquoise!
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,784 Curl Connoisseur
    This new look has positive energy! The colors are just right for the winter season that will soon be upon us.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • wild~hairwild~hair Registered Users Posts: 9,890 Curl Neophyte
    I think it's very nice, looks fresh and more up-to-date. :thumbright:

ETA: Some feedback, now I've had a chance to browse around:

The Quick Links menu needs a little attention from the web dev people. They need to increase the padding and/or margins on that puppy, as well as the a:hover, etc. settings. Right now I think they're leftover from the previous design and when hovering and clicking, you cannot read what you're selecting because they're a very pale yellow. Added: actually I've noticed this affects all drop-down menus.

Posted this in Wile's thread too: the gradients are distracting [in the quotes and in the editing windows, for examples]. I personally think a flat light grey would work much better.

When quoting, the font of the quoted material is distractingly large in the resulting post.

Finally, as I learned when formatting this post, the bullets and numbering functions aren't working in the editing window.

Added: The page numbers in the page count breadcrumbs are in black [current page] and very dark teal [all other pages]. So it's really hard to see what page you're on.

Some of this might be a work in progress [I do web dev, so I know how it goes], but I thought I would mention them.
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Registered Users Posts: 8,449 Curl Connoisseur
    wavyblonde wrote: »
    It's a little bit Lisa Frank-esque for me--would it be possible to have another skin installed so we could choose for ourselves?
    LOL totally Lisa Frank. But I like it :D

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    I like this new version. I know, don't fall over, pigs aren't flying...
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • DerbyCityNaturalsDerbyCityNaturals Registered Users Posts: 422
    FANTASTICAL, love the color scheme pink/teal very cute and it is much easier on the eyes. Also the pages are loading faster don't know if that is just a coincidence. ILOVEIT
  • JusduitJusduit Registered Users Posts: 578 Curl Neophyte
    wild~hair wrote: »
    I think it's very nice, looks fresh and more up-to-date. :thumbright:

Posted this in Wile's thread too: the gradients are distracting [in the quotes and in the editing windows, for examples]. I personally think a flat light grey would work much better.

When quoting, the font of the quoted material is distractingly large in the resulting post.

Added: The page numbers in the page count breadcrumbs are in black [current page] and very dark teal [all other pages]. So it's really hard to see what page you're on.

+1
    FANTASTICAL, love the color scheme pink/teal very cute and it is much easier on the eyes. Also the pages are loading faster don't know if that is just a coincidence. ILOVEIT

Ha, I was just coming here to mention how I found it to be annoyingly slow! By the time a page loads, I forget what it was I even clicked on. I'm using IE if that makes any difference. What browser are you using?

Otherwise, I like it a lot so far!
    3a (protein sensitive)
    Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Cleansers: Mop-C Hydrating Shampoo, JCGLS
    Conditioners: CJCR, TJTTT
    Leave-in: CJCR, CK Satin Roots
    Stylers: UFDCM, CJPP
    Standby items:GVP K-Pak
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    wavyblonde wrote: »

This is something we've considered, but it's not on the table for just right now, I'm sorry to say.

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Jusduit wrote: »

Ha, I was just coming here to mention how I found it to be annoyingly slow! By the time a page loads, I forget what it was I even clicked on. I'm using IE if that makes any difference. What browser are you using?

Otherwise, I like it a lot so far!

I'm all firefox, I HATE IE!!!
    Those of you who say it's slow: Is it just CurlTalk or all of NC? If it's CurlTalk, is it just since yesterday, when we made the new design live or has it been a while?

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Gretchen wrote: »
    Those of you who say it's slow: Is it just CurlTalk or all of NC? If it's CurlTalk, is it just since yesterday, when we made the new design live or has it been a while?

The quick reply button is not working, it is simply quoting the entry as seen here.
  • JusduitJusduit Registered Users Posts: 578 Curl Neophyte

For me, it seems to just be CurlTalk. I have always felt CurlTalk was kind of slow. Even when this was announced a few weeks ago, I didn't notice any difference at all. Now with the new design live, it takes FOREVER for the page to load. So much so, by the time a page loads, I've forgotten which forum I was in.....and forget about remembering which thread it was I clicked on to read. LOL!

Thanks for checking into it!
    3a (protein sensitive)
    Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Cleansers: Mop-C Hydrating Shampoo, JCGLS
    Conditioners: CJCR, TJTTT
    Leave-in: CJCR, CK Satin Roots
    Stylers: UFDCM, CJPP
    Standby items:GVP K-Pak
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    I haven't noticed that it's any slower. Right now I'm using Firefox but I also use IE and Chrome sometimes and it makes no difference.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

The quick reply button is not working, it is simply quoting the entry as seen here.

Thank you! I'll have them check into it.

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • SaroyanSaroyan Registered Users Posts: 398
    I love the new pink buttons! So much nicer than the old ones, and they look good with the theme.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
    I'm loving the colors more and more. They just make me happy. I even picked a Firefox persona to match. : )
    sorry they weren't working that day but they are fine now...
  • kurlybrownkurlybrown Registered Users Posts: 136
    I'm a newbie but I did lurk a lot when the old design was up. I really like the new color scheme! Good job!

One question/suggestion:
    Is there a reason why the forum doesn't list the location of each user. I've noticed that other forums have this listed right below the user's name in each post. I guess I'm just nosy and curious to know more about who I'm interacting with and where in the world they are located.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Natural as of May 2009; 4a/3c
    Avatar Photo: Nov 10' Blow-out; Getting closer to my BIG hair goal!
    "I'm a big woman. I need big hair." - Aretha Franklin
    Glad to hear it, Derby!

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    kurlybrown wrote: »
    I'm a newbie but I did lurk a lot when the old design was up. I really like the new color scheme! Good job!

One question/suggestion:
    Is there a reason why the forum doesn't list the location of each user. I've noticed that other forums have this listed right below the user's name in each post. I guess I'm just nosy and curious to know more about who I'm interacting with and where in the world they are located.

What a fun idea! I'll dig around to see if that's possible.

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    kurlybrown wrote: »

One question/suggestion:

What a fun idea! I'll dig around to see if that's possible.

Our locations used to be listed under our avatars if I remember right. I added mine to my sig when that option disappeared.
  • voluptucurlvoluptucurl Registered Users Posts: 74 Curl Neophyte
    I like the new design much better. It would be helpful if more could be done for accessibility (color contrast, associating forms with text, etc.). This would make the site usable for even more curlies.

Great start!
    Voluptucurl  Embracing the curl—no more hair fights: kinky-wavy, very dry
    Last relaxer: Sept 2007 / BC: April 2008
    Nearly reformed product junkie; ayurvedic herb fan
    My regimen | Check out my blog

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file