Unwanted Hair Cut, tips to help it grow??? Help!

I have had natural hair for the last two years. I love my natural hair. it took a long time to grow out the relaxer- over a year. About a week ago, I approached my hairdresser asking for a haircut. I informed him that I like it longer (curls lay better) but presently it was just a little too long. It was to the middle of my back straight, just passed my shoulders curly. He stated that he would give me a look more manageable and it would look good straight and curly. I reiterated that I wanted it to still be long enough to pull back. Can you see it coming?

Needless to say, he cut my hair in a short bob. The front comes to chin level and the back is not shaved but barely touches the nape of my neck. Straight it looks nice. However, I sweat...I sweat when I'm nervous, stressed, working out, you name it, whatever...part of why I like the curly look is that I can sweat and no longer worry about having to maintain a straight look. Also, the slightest moisture in the air, my hair starts to curl. I was anxious to see how my new hair cut would look curly. Oh, the drama!!!! I know its hair and eventually it will grow back. I was just so upset. I cried and crawled into bed. I looked a hot mess and this new cut was NOT complimentary to my facial features at all. It only accentuated my big nose and round cheeks in a not so nice way. I've never looked in the mirror and thought, "You are ugly." I immediately whipped out the blow dryer and flat iron.

Anyone have any advice on how to promote hair growth? Prevent heat damage? maintain a short do of natural hair once its been straightened? I wrap it at night. I've tried hair band and bobby pins to pull it of my face while I workout. Only to find curly roots, frizzy edges and flopped ends!

I want to avoid shelling out money to braid it with extensions, but right now...that looks like my only option. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Comments

• waterlily716waterlily716 Posts: 781Registered Users
    Try updo's and hair accessories! Maybe you can get your hair looking more to your like. Sorry about what happened--IMHO stylists should be trained to be less pushy and LISTEN.

You can take hair supplements like GNC ultranourish hair (from rite aid). They'll make your hair grow faster, but it'll still be a long wait.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    3a/b low to normal porosity curls
    CG method since 2006 @:-)
    CO wash: suave naturals coconut
    rinse out CO: GVP conditioning balm
    stylers: KCNT, CK, jessicurl spiralicious
    @waterlily716 on YouTube, FB, & Twitter
    Blog: Curls and Blossoms

• want2bcurlywant2bcurly Posts: 97Registered Users
    ok, i have a similiar story. except i had my hair cut short on purpose. i ,over the years lost alot of my curl, and it seemed damaged. august came and i decided to get a cute short hair style. i did. very short in the back,to short for flat irons, and chin length sides. a short bobish style. lots od compliments... well, not long after,i was having a hard time getting it straight. my curls are back.big time.and looks like crap with this style.like crap. it doesnt look like a style, looks like a mistake, and rediculous
    i have some advice,mabie it applies. you said you are wearing headbands, straight? try fancier scarves curly. i have to have something cover the botton part of the back of my hair because it sticks straight out curly. so the scarf covers it, pushes the hair back and makes it look like it like it is supposed to be this way.i need to do this every day till it grows a couple of inches. i get tired of it but it works.so try scarves, not headbands with it curly. and as for supplaments i just went to the grocery store and bought hair vitamins that have 3000 mg of biotin.be patient .i am right there with you.
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    OK I'm a stylist. I'm in the process of growing too.

Whimaway, stylists ARE Taught to be not pushy and listen. They just don't always do it. I'm now an educator; I teach the stylists in my company advanced cutting and color techniques and do seminars in the store and I'm ALWAYS preaching that. I was taught that in hairschool. But I know plenty of people who went to hairschool with me that don't do it.

sullengirl, I cut my hair on purpose. It's asymetrical. I did it in Sept. from an inverted bob. I knew then that I probably wanted to grow it out but cut it anyway. I don't regret it much, I just miss the growth I'd have now if I hadn't done it. It'd probably be to my shoulders now and I'd be able to pull it up. I can't take Biotin; it makes my face and scalp break out in bumps like zits, but I read online recently that B12 does the same thing so I've upped my intake of it along with my other vitamins. I eat right, get lots of protein fruits and veggies, and exercise (and exercise will help as it stimulates blood flow and circulation, even to the scalp!) and have started nightly massages to stimulate the circulation as well. Last month I got over an inch of growth, and about 3/4" is normal for me. So I almost doubled it. Don't know if it's my imagination or not; you can bet if there was a magic pill I'd be taking it. Updos and accessories are great too for the process. I use clippies and stuff even now. HTH......
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • waterlily716waterlily716 Posts: 781Registered Users
    rymorg2 wrote:
    Whimaway, stylists ARE Taught to be not pushy and listen. They just don't always do it. I'm now an educator; I teach the stylists in my company advanced cutting and color techniques and do seminars in the store and I'm ALWAYS preaching that. I was taught that in hairschool. But I know plenty of people who went to hairschool with me that don't do it.

Thank you for correcting me. I realized afterwards that it sounded like I meant all stylists were that way! I should say there only some stylists that should be less pushy and listen. :)
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    3a/b low to normal porosity curls
    CG method since 2006 @:-)
    CO wash: suave naturals coconut
    rinse out CO: GVP conditioning balm
    stylers: KCNT, CK, jessicurl spiralicious
    @waterlily716 on YouTube, FB, & Twitter
    Blog: Curls and Blossoms

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    whimaway wrote: »
    rymorg2 wrote:

Thank you for correcting me. I realized afterwards that it sounded like I meant all stylists were that way! I should say there only some stylists that should be less pushy and listen. :)

Oh no problem! I know that experiences like that happen, far too often. HAHAHA I'm growing one out as we speak, and she was in my class!! :laughing2::laughing2:
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SullenGirlSullenGirl Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thanks Ladies!

I will try to updos, scarves, and vitamin supplements. I think I'm more upset that my boyfriend and I are going on a trip to New Zealand...adventurous trip with lots of hikes, kayaking, outdoor adventures. In my mind I planned on slightly shorter hair to make it more manageable for our trip. Now, well, I don't plan on spending 2hrs making my hair straight or packing all the necessary hair products/essentials for that trip. Searching for a salon to braid my hair prior to the trip. After which, I will take the much needed TLC to make sure my hair grows back healthy.

I just wish that my hair dresser actually talked to me before he snipped. When I gasped, he was like, "oh, my plan is this___, I think you will like it." He did what he wanted because he doesn't like long hair, something one of the other stylist told me after the fact. Really? Its not what the hairdresser wants, its what the client wants....grrr! It would have been nice if he actually gave me tips too on how to care for my newly cropped hair. I asked, and he said, "do what you usually do." And rushed to start his other client. I spent over $100 on this cut. Needless to say, I will be searching for a new stylist. My other complaint is that he always makes me wait forever. That is all around bad for business. I will say he does know how to cut...my bob is very sharp.

My family and friends are trying to be supportive and sympathetic. They agree though, its definitely not a cut to wear curly. I've attached what I once had, ah, it will be awhile before I get that back....:'( Its the time it takes. Ah, well, live and learn right?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file