HETT for a wavy

wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
I was wondering if it was just me. I bought some Totally Twisted gel for my hair and tried it multiple times. My hair just doesn't like it. Any other 2's with the same problem? I don't know if it's a certain ingredient in it or what, but it just doesn't give me a lot of curl enhancement or hold (I only use several squirts in my homemade refresher now, and not for styling my freshly-washed hair!) I know a lot of curlies like this stuff, but it just doesn't work for me. I much prefer my GF Curl Shaping Spray Gel. Anyone tried that? I'm 99.9% sure it's 'cone free.
Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:

Comments

• MountaincurlMountaincurl Posts: 571Registered Users
    It has PEG dimethicone, I believe. I tried it and hated it. It was like I put nothing in my hair. Poof city.
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    HETT doesn't have a lot of hold. It doesn't work for me for wavy hair at all. To use up my tube I use it when I fix my hair straight. My hair is easy to straighten.
    People with curly hair tend to need less hold then us wavies. So, HETT works better for them.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Glad it wasn't just me! I didn't think it had a lot of hold. No wonder my hair doesn't like it! :) I guess strong hold is better for most of us 2's.
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Nope, didn't work for my hair either! I bought HE Set Me Up and while it's good for hold, it tends to give me surface frizz.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    I prefer Body Envy myself.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• 1001waves1001waves Posts: 73Registered Users Curl Novice
    There is something about this gel that makes my hair feel icky and limp that pulls the curl out.
    Cherub 2c/3a Fii,porous
    Wash:KC Come Clean
    Condition/Leave-in:Devacurl Delight
    Styling:
    AG:Recoil
    Love:protein Hate:Garnier
    Experiment:henna glossing
    Mod CG since 7/22/09
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Nope, didn't work for my hair either! I bought HE Set Me Up and while it's good for hold, it tends to give me surface frizz.

I was thinking of buying that gel when I needed to buy a new product, but I bought La Bella Lots of Curls instead. I do find myself in the frizz-battle lots of times with the Totally Twisted gel. I notice it more with that than with any other styler.
    plunkybug wrote: »

Huh, I never thought about buying that gel! I guess because my hair's so dang thick, I just skim right over any type of product that has the words "body" and "volumize" anywhere on the label. :happy10: Does that gel have good hold? I do occasionally have the flat-top, poofy bottom problem (my hair is VERY inconsistent!) Is your hair very thin or easily weighed down?

Favorite...
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    plunkybug wrote: »

Huh, I never thought about buying that gel! I guess because my hair's so dang thick, I just skim right over any type of product that has the words "body" and "volumize" anywhere on the label. :happy10: Does that gel have good hold? I do occasionally have the flat-top, poofy bottom problem (my hair is VERY inconsistent!) Is your hair very thin or easily weighed down?

I think it is pretty good. I rotate it with the Curls For Target gel. I don't think either are amazing, but they're the best of what I've tried so far. I do have fine hair that is easily weighed down.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• anonymous_58885anonymous_58885 Posts: 75Registered Users
    I swear by this stuff! But it seems to elongate my hair, if that makes any sense. Like, it takes some of the body out of the ends of my hair, which is exactly what I need. I love it! :)
    Paul Mitchell Shampoo One

Hair One Cleansing Conditioner (Olive Oil)

Dove Nourishing Curls Whipped Cream Mousse

Not CG

Don't use leave-in conditioner

Straighten hair occasionally. I use Organix Brazilian Keratin Flat Iron Spray to protect from heat damage.

mostly 2b, some 2c, 3a on rare days. Low porosity, medium density, fine texture.
  • KeLynnKeLynn Posts: 182Registered Users
    I just finished my tube and replaced it with Set me Up, which I like much better. It gives me a better hold.

HETT was right in the middle for me - it wasn't awesome, but it wasn't awful. I've used much worse, but I don't think I'll buy it again.
    2b (with some straight under-layer, grrrrr)
    Normal porosity, low elasticity, medium texture

(according to CurlGenie - HUGE surprise, I always thought I had fine hair and my stylists always agreed)

Tried CG for a summer, but it wasn't for me. I don't load up on sulfates and silicones, but I have no shame in using them when I want/need to! Currently loving LOOB.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file