Need a diagnosis: oily hair

LolaMeiLolaMei Registered Users Posts: 24 Curl Neophyte
I am desperately trying to figure out my hair and losing my mind in the process! I started CG about 6 weeks ago with great results. Unfortunately, I set myself back with a misguided home hair color...that resulted in 2 more to fix the first one. Which of course means my hair is dry and fried!

SO...I started over with my Suave clarifying wash. Have been using Trader Joe's Refresh for co-wash. AO Rose/Honey for condition. Things start ok - but by the end of the day my scalp starts to look really greasy (while my curls are pretty frizzy - dry and fried!). I never had this greasy scalp issue before.

I tried a home DT of coconut milk, avocado oil and honey...with ACV rinse.

Today my head is giant greaseball. I am going to wash it again, but I don't even know where to start. Poo? No poo? ARGGHH!!

My question is: am I not rinsing properly or can my hair not handle the co-wash? And if it can't, what are the next steps?

The homemade DT was such a pain I don't know if I can take that again...who knows if it even worked!

I am so frustrated!! I have been reading various posts and I am dizzy. Your expertise would be fabulous!!!

lola
Lola
CG since 9-2010
Type: 2c
Cowash: Miss Jessie Creme de la Curl
Conditioner: Giovanni Smooth as Silk
Styling: Eco Styler Krystal Gel, Miss Jessie Jelly Soft or Pillow Soft; DevaCurl Set it Up for 2nd day hair
DT: Ojon, Ion Effective

Comments

• pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Are you using a non sulfate shampoo (aka low poo)?
    Do you know your hair's properties?

Since you overprocessed your hair, a Protein treatment will temporarily repair some of the damage. I'd start with a mild Protein treatment if you have coarse hair. If you have fine hair you may want to go right to the big guns, aphogee 2-step. Follow a PT with a DT. Some use their own DT instead of part 2 of the aphogee. Part 2 has mineral oil and some hair hates mineral oil.
    Here is a good article on protein if you are not familiar with it.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69

hair properties
    texture, thickness, and curl pattern
    http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/2009/12/how-to-classify-your-wavy-hair.html
    porosity (you are likely porous now because your hair is damaged)
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair
    elasticity
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=85854
    You can also check livecurlylivefree.com for help
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • KellycatKellycat Registered Users Posts: 79
    Hi. I started another thread recently about oily hair as well. I've found that I just can't co-wash daily. The first few times were great, then after that, my scalp would be so oily by the end of the day, but the canopy was still looking fried (not pretty, at all). Since I wash my hair every day, I started alternating co-washing and low-pooing, which helped. About a week ago, I switched to CJ Daily Fix, and stopped conditioning after washing, and my oiliness has improved dramatically. My hair is now moisturized, but no longer oily. In fact this morning, I got up and my hair was basically clean--something of a miracle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hair type: 2b
    Texture: Fine
    Density: Medium (yet crazy-huge volume)
    Porosity: Normal
    Elasticity: Normal (I think....)
    Oily scalp
    Low-poos: CJ Daily Fix; AO Green Tea Clarifying
    Co-washing: Tresemme Naturals Conditioner
    Conditioner: As needed
    Styling: FSG; KCCC (winter favorite); CJ Curl Fix; CJ Coffee Coco Curl Cream Lite; BSRHG (a MUST)

Current obsession: Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Conditioner

• IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    I keep reading around here that protein is good for hair damaged by coloring. Pedaheh mentioned the Aphogee 2-step. That stuff works miracles for me. You can buy a sample packet from Sally's and try it on a little piece of your hair to see if it's a good product to use all over. I found their DT (the second step) too oily and used a regular conditioner instead and it was fine.

If your scalp has always tended to be oily, then low-pooing (such as Burts Bees, there are many others) might be good when needed, and put conditioner on from your ears down.

Really interesting what Kellycat said about the CJ daily fix.

Good luck!
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Registered Users Posts: 1,657 Curl Neophyte
    Another idea is that you may be inadvertantly stripping your hair with your Trader Joe's Refresh shampoo. I know because I fell for the NO SULFATES on the label and used it. It has Sodium Olefin as the surfactant and as you can see from this article, it is no better really than sulfates:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/curlysuzy-qa-which-sulfates-are-safer-than-the-others

So, you may have started the "I am stripped so I will produce MORE oil" cycle with your scalp. I'd try using a milder poo and see what happens.
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Registered Users Posts: 1,657 Curl Neophyte
    Oh, I do not know if your hair is fine or the porosity but I could not use the AO conditioners on my fine, low porosity hair. Just too rich. Made my top look greasy.
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • LolaMeiLolaMei Registered Users Posts: 24 Curl Neophyte
    I tried using my lo-poo today - which is Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle. Scrubbed the scalp, rinsed and rinsed. Finished with Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner from ears down, combed it out, rinsed. Added some Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose to the ends. Put some Herbal Essences SEt it up on and plopped for about 20 minutes.

Now my hair is dry but it is heavy and looks a bit greasy (not as bad as this morning).

I believe that my porosity is normal (when I do that test) but I think by the descriptions it must be high. Texture is medium.

Maybe my DT was too much? How do I get all this grease out?

I should say that before I started CG, I only washed my hair 2-3 times per week. I used shampoo only once and just water washed and conditioned with AOHR. THe cone build-up was killing me though.

BTW - thanks to everyone who takes the time to post such detailed, lenghthy helpful descriptions and advice! It is SOOOO helpful. I know I am going to find the perfect mix eventually!!
    Lola
    CG since 9-2010
    Type: 2c
    Cowash: Miss Jessie Creme de la Curl
    Conditioner: Giovanni Smooth as Silk
    Styling: Eco Styler Krystal Gel, Miss Jessie Jelly Soft or Pillow Soft; DevaCurl Set it Up for 2nd day hair
    DT: Ojon, Ion Effective
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    You can try switching up your washing methods. Here are some options.
    You can try a different low poo and see if that helps. Target has travel sizes of giovanni if you want to try that brand. It is in their natural products aisle by the burt's bees stuff. There are lots of other options.
    Cowashing adds moisture to the scalp. You probably don't need this and may want to try cowashing less or maybe even not at all.
    Water washing is just like cowashing, except without the conditioner. Scrub your scalp with the pads of your fingers really well and then condition. This adds less moisture then cowashing. This should not be your only method of washing, but you can alternate with other methods.
    Co-pooing or CWC (condition, wash, condition- a method from the long hair community). This is a way to wash your scalp while protecting your dry ends. Copooing is coating your hair with conditioner, low poo the scalp only, rinse everything. CWC is the same method as a copoo. The difference is you condition again after your rinse.

For the oil that is "stuck" in your hair, you can just keep on washing as usual and it should eventually wash out. You could try low pooing again and see if a second one does the trick. When I had jojoba "stuck" in my hair, and ACV rinse removed it. I have no idea why, but it worked.
    If nothing else works, you can always sulfate poo.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file