Any sensitive beauties get itchies from CJ Curl Queen?

justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Please say no because I love my sample of this and would like to order a full size bottle! I have tried a couple of new things in the last couple of days so it may not be that. I thought for certain that it was the CJ Strengthening Conditioner but I started having light scalp itch again last night after getting my hair cut (and washed with my usual stuff) and I freshened with some CJ Curl Queen gel.

I am allergic/reactive to so much stuff, so it would not surprise me. Just would want to make certian that it was not that before ordering a full size bottle.
I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
Condition: DevaCurl OC
LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM

Comments

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    You may be sensitive to it but just not be able to use it daily. I have some issues with a few CJ products that as long as I don't use it every day I'm ok.

I feel you though. I didn't have any issues with CQ but I didn't use it more than 2 days in a row.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No allergies here, either. But I rotate products. Rarely use anything twice in five days, let alone two days in a row.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BLBBLB Posts: 268Registered Users
    Ohhhhh no. JAJC, I have been fearing this the past few days! I just purchased the full size bottle of CQ as well as daily fix. I definitely had the itchies, but I wasn't sure which product was causing it or if it was stress. The moment i get stressed my scalp starts to itch, and I was at a pretty high level the past few days :) I am going to keep trying the CQ though, so I'll report back if I think it's definitely causing the itch. I really hope it isn't!!!
    2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
    Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
    DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
    LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
    Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
    Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
    http://picasaweb.google.com/114440579402158395573/HAIRPICS?feat=directlink
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    BLB-I hope not for both of us but it would save me money if so!! haha! I have the Deep Conditioner and the Cleansing Conditioner (that may be called Daily Fix) samples yet to use. I hope those do not give me itchies! I, too, am going to keep trying with the Curl Queen. Fingers crossed!

kathymack and rymorg-okay, you two. I barely have 5 products that I can use on my hair in total-NOT enough to rotate!! Color me jealous!!
    CG since 7/1/2010

kathymack and rymorg-okay, you two. I barely have 5 products that I can use on my hair in total-NOT enough to rotate!! Color me jealous!!

Same here. Not enough money or storage space either! :iconbiggrin:
    2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
    LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
    Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
  • curlyserfcurlyserf Posts: 858Registered Users
    BLB wrote: »

Same here. Not enough money or storage space either! :iconbiggrin:

Me, three! I'm just glad to have found a few things that consistently work for me!:confused1:

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    LOL guys! It's not as many as you think due to my sensitivities. When I first started this journey it was WAY more....but now I have two or three of each product I use (PT, DT, cleansers, other condishes, and stylers) that I rotate on a regular basis. My closet, cabinet, and tub aren't as full as they were once before!
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Well, I waited a couple of weeks and tried it again tonight. Itchies. Not what I wanted since even though it has aloe, it has plenty of my plastics to support it.

I was going to buy this if there was a Black Friday sale.

Bummer.
    CG since 7/1/2010

• MountaincurlMountaincurl Posts: 571Registered Users
    I just ordered this and i'm afraid of getting itchies :( we'll see.
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
    I think I may be alone in getting the itchies from it. You will probably be just fine!!
    CG since 7/1/2010

• MountaincurlMountaincurl Posts: 571Registered Users
    :D yippeee i hope so
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Curl Queen made me itch, but I only invested in a sample-size. Hooray for samples.

These are the ingredients, with potential offenders in red:
    Ingredients: Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hydroethylcellulose, Corn Starch Modified, Polyquaternium-4, Panthenol, PVP, Camellia Sinensis Leaf (Green Tea) Extract, Wheat Protein, Wheat Starch, Polysorbate 20, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance.

Might be some others too. When I really want to know which ingredient is a problem, I look at other products I've used (not just on hair, but skin too) which gave me problems to find common ingredients. You develop your own list of "usual suspects" pretty quickly that way.
    Yes. Mine was a sample, too! I do not have any other hair products that cause itchies. I think perhaps Recoil did. I will go check those ingredients and see if I can start building a list of ingredients to avoid.

OH! I have been meaning to tell you that the ingredient triethanolamine that we discussed is in my beloved BRHG!! never noticed it before.
    CG since 7/1/2010

IAgirl wrote: »
    Curl Queen made me itch, but I only invested in a sample-size. Hooray for samples.

These are the ingredients, with potential offenders in red:
    Ingredients: Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hydroethylcellulose, Corn Starch Modified, Polyquaternium-4, Panthenol, PVP, Camellia Sinensis Leaf (Green Tea) Extract, Wheat Protein, Wheat Starch, Polysorbate 20, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance.

Might be some others too. When I really want to know which ingredient is a problem, I look at other products I've used (not just on hair, but skin too) which gave me problems to find common ingredients. You develop your own list of "usual suspects" pretty quickly that way.

IAgirl this really helped me. Curl Queen makes me itch too (have tried my FULL size bottle several times now), but I am completely overwhelmed at trying to narrow down which ingredients are irritating my sensitive scalp. You highlighting the possible offenders makes me realize that I might actually be able to narrow down a list for myself. I am going to write down possible "suspects" and where they appeared on the ingredient list, and keep it with my products for easier reference. Thanks IAgirl for giving me ideas! It's such a shame about CQ because I really love what it does for my hair. Sigh...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file