hair gets too tangly after shampooing = lots of hair coming out during detangling

CoaCoaBean08CoaCoaBean08 Posts: 734Registered Users
what advice do you have?

i think i oiled my hair before washing once and that helped, i might try that again. afro hair can be a pain the ass sometimes man.
head full of wild crazy kinks and curls :cool:
"Make your choice adventurous stranger;
Strike the bell and bide the danger.
Or wonder, til it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had."

"I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying 'this is fiction.'" -Ian McKellen

Comments

• NappyNishaNappyNisha Posts: 99Registered Users
    Well how do you wash and detangle it? That would be useful to know.

My suggestion w/o knowing the answer to that question, is to wash your hair in sections (never gather all of your hair together and shampoo up on the top of your head like those shampoo commercials if your hair is prone to tangles), maybe 4 or more sections depending on your length, density, and head size. Apply shampoo only on your scalp and massage, it will work its way down to your strands. Rinse section by section, and twist each section up or secure as you go along.

Detangle with a conditioner or leave in conditioner with good slip, and adding oil can help at this stage. and again, do it in sections and secure each section as you go along. and be sure you detangle from the tip to root (bottom-up)
  • cheveuxboucléscheveuxbouclés Posts: 1,111Registered Users
    What kind of shampoo do you use?

I love Jane Carter's Solution shampoo. It is extra creamy and I use it all over my head.

I do detangle beforehand as well. I use QB detangling ghee or Talij Waajad mist bodifier ( I don't like TWMB at all on my hair outside of detangling, but it has a lot of slip) in sections and comb through with a seamless shower comb. On rough days I use my fake denman.
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    Your shampoo could be causing your tangles. It might be stripping your hair and when you hair has no lubrication, strands stick together more readily.

You could also be tangling your hair yourself while washing. I don't wash in sections, but I don't also rub my hair around like in shampoo commercials. You don't have to wash in sections, but you have to be more careful when washing. But by all means if your hair benefits from section washing, do it

If you are stripping your hair with your shampoo, you need a SUPER conditioner to help you detangle and to remoisturize your hair. I would add some oil to your conditioner to get more slip and to soften the hair. And be gentle when detangling. DO IT IN SECTIONS. Use a wide tooth comb and start from ends working up to your roots.

HTH
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • Precious CurlsPrecious Curls Posts: 448Registered Users
    I agree with what most are saying - either your shampoo, the way that you wash, or both may be causing the tangles.

I would check the ingredients in the shampoo. Sulfates tend to strip, and when hair is stripped of moisture the strands tend to stick together. If you're using sulfate-free, try a different sulfate-free shampoo. Some non-sulfate cleaners strip. It just takes some trying out to see which are the best for you. I like Avalon Lavender Nourishing Shampoo.

Many people suggested sectioning the hair while shampooing, I do this as well. Also, make sure to detangle - whether with finger or comb - before washing. The more detangled your hair is prior to washing, the less likely your hair is to tangle when you do wash.

A good conditioner right after shampooing is always a good idea. Nice slip and moisture should ease the tangles. Be sure to detangle from the ends up. Hope that helped!
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    once I wet my hair I smooth my shampoo down through my hair like I would do a gel. I give my scalp a slight scrub but I don't do much disturbing of the hair. I just leave it for a minute then rinse in that same downward motion. I leave the detangling for the conditioner.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • NaturalReviewNaturalReview Posts: 91Registered Users
    Try a pre-poo. Before I wash my hair, I let coconut oil and olive oil sit in my hair for 30-45 minutes. You may also want to try cowashing sometimes or switching shampoos.

www.naturalreviewbyl.com
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Posts: 2,568Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lots of curly and kinky hair cannot tolerate shampoo. I would suggest a shampoo with really natural ingredients or something milder. I wash my hair with Dr. Woods almond soap b/c I can't use shampoo. The only time I use shampoo is when I have straightened and even then I use Giovanni's. HTH
    comic-p.jpg
  • threesnappsthreesnapps Posts: 40Registered Users
    NappyNisha wrote: »
    Well how do you wash and detangle it? That would be useful to know.

My suggestion w/o knowing the answer to that question, is to wash your hair in sections (never gather all of your hair together and shampoo up on the top of your head like those shampoo commercials if your hair is prone to tangles), maybe 4 or more sections depending on your length, density, and head size. Apply shampoo only on your scalp and massage, it will work its way down to your strands. Rinse section by section, and twist each section up or secure as you go along.

Detangle with a conditioner or leave in conditioner with good slip, and adding oil can help at this stage. and again, do it in sections and secure each section as you go along. and be sure you detangle from the tip to root (bottom-up)

+1. When my hair was shorter, washing it like in the shampoo commercials worked fine, but as it grew I noticed more and more breakage was occurring due to it becoming a tangled mess after shampooing. Washing and conditioning in sections has severely cut down on breakage and shed hair. I typically use 6-8 sections: wash each one, condition/detangle/twist each one, then add leave-in/oil to each and twist when done.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Aubrey Organics Swimmers' Shampoo is probably the gentlest shampoo on the market. It would be too light if you're using mineral oil or petrolatum, but it doesn't strip hair at all.
  • kinkyncurlykinkyncurly Posts: 110Registered Users
    My process is fairly long, but it's cut down on my tangles greatly.

Before washing, I part my hair into about 8 sections. I spritz each section with water, add a conditioner & oil of my choice and detangle with my shower comb, passing thru about 2 times. I keep the sections separate when I go into the shower. I wash each section separately, starting with the top of my head. I detangle each section with the comb (one quick pass thru, there are normally no tangles) and then with the denman. Once I detangle each section, I smooth my deep conditioner thru each section.

Not only do I not lose much hair at all, but it helps me to really clump my curls. However, it does take FOREVER.

Also, I do all of this with pretty slippery conditioners, like Renpure Organics, Garnier Nutris Triple Nutrition and Yes to Cucumbers. Shampoos normally make my hair tangle more, because it dries my hair out.

hope this helps!
    Transitioning! :hello1:
    s-event.png
    BC Date: January 8th, 2011!
    Hair: 4a fine but dense
    Working on: porosity issues, growing out heat damage, dryness
    Fotki link in profile
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    It doesnt necessary have to be the shampoo your using, cause f I dont detangle my hair before I use any shampoo.. It always always gets super tangled!

Whatever state its in before, it makes it worse. I learned that long ago, at the same time I rarely have detangling issues now. I always pre-poo & detangle, hell even pick my hair out with an afro pick or something before I shampoo. I usually prepoo with lots of coconut oil or a PT, letting it sit for about 30 mins and the comb usually slides through then. At the very most, ill cowash first and detangle then shampoo as usual.
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file