I have fine hair, and I maintain length

hotchocolatehotchocolate Posts: 59Registered Users Curl Neophyte
with wash n go's, but people say your hair will only maintain length with protective styles. I live in northern Ca, and the weather isn't that bad here year round. I just don't like protective styling, I really like my wash n go, because of the low manipulation. Am I wrong for feeling this way?

Comments

• coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    NOPE! You are not wrong at all. You do what your hair likes :)

Lots of ladies on here don't protective style. If you retain length fine without it, then so be it :)
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i've retained length by doing wash n gos. too much styling rips my hair right out.
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Nah, I don't think you are wrong. What works for some doesn't always work for others.

I think it's more of a matter of how a person handles their hair and cares for it. Protective styling obviously allows the hair to rest so for many people this works at retaining length. But it's not the ONLY way to retain length. There is low manipulation which I do think includes wash n gos if you do it properly and use the right products for your hair properties. There are other low manipulation styles like braid outs, twist outs, and roller sets. Just have to keep the ends preserved with the right products is all!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • E.B.E.B. Posts: 158Registered Users
    You're not wrong. Do what you like and what works for you.

I don't protective style either.
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Posts: 2,568Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I also have fine hair and I don't W &G, but I do wash nightly b/c my hair loves water. You have to listen to your hair. Give it what it wants! I don't PS style either and I retain length as well. Some ppl do better when their hair is tucked away. When I was perming and weaving, that is how I retained length. But sans chemicals, my hair retains moisture from water and thats how I retain length :)
    comic-p.jpg
  • korkscrewqtkorkscrewqt Posts: 96Registered Users
    As others have stated, I don't think you are wrong. Personally, I think PS becomes more beneficial as your hair gets longer. For example, my hair is about MBL straightened. However, my hair shrinks to about an inch above my shoulders when I wash n go. My hair isn't rubbing on my clothes because it's not touching my shoulders. If I wear a coat I will put my hair up because I don't want it rubbing on my coat. My hair is dyed, so my ends are fragile. If my hair ever starts growing down instead of out I will probably kick up the PS more. Again, the ends tend to be fragile so I don't want them to rub on anything. My hair has grown pretty substantially the past few years with little to no PS.
    2ywisjp.jpg
    I don't subscribe to 1-4 typing system.:afro:
    Healthy Hair = Good Hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file