Winter Hair Care Mistakes

What is something you've done to your hair during winter months that just didn't work or was a bad idea? I'm curious because winter is fast approaching & I think we could possibly learn from others mistakes.

Comments

• FunkyCurlGurlFunkyCurlGurl Posts: 264Registered Users
    I've found that if I leave the house, and my hair is even the tiniest bit wet, it sets me up for all sorts of problems, mostly frizz and dryness. Usually my hair is in a wash n go when this happens. As much as I love them, WNGs tend to be a problem in general because my hair is out and completely exposed to the cold air.

Also, if I don't moisturize my hair in the morning before I leave, I can expect dryness as well.

I'm going to be doing a lot more protective styling this winter for sure.
    event.png

http://public.fotki.com/funkycurlgirl/
    "when I feel her jump up and dance / I hear the music! my God / i'm talking about my nappy hair!"
    - Lucille Clifton, "Homage to my Hair."
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    I've been wearing my hair out lately and it is starting to get really cold and dry (the weather has been going up and down. It was like 80 degrees on Monday and 55 on Wednesday :sad3:)

Anyway, that has been my mistake thus far. Last winter I was in protective styles and I retained so much growth. I need to go back to that. My hair is very prone to dryness so protective styling is the best thing for my hair. I just haven't had time to do that but I'll make some time soon. I'm gonna give myself a good trim and then I'll be getting a sew in for a few weeks and then I'm planning on doing some yarn braids for the rest of the year until winter is OVER. Won't be wearing my hair out this winter that's for damn sure.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Last winter, I went outside with a wet TWA. Not fun. I should have washed my hair at night. Besides that I got it right with cowashing every couple of days and applying aloe vera gel followed by shea butter.

• Alice_42 Alice_42 Posts: 791Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    DO NOT skip a weekly DT. The results can (and will) be disastrous.
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • lisa6lisa6 Posts: 543Registered Users Curl Novice
    Neglecting to DC often.
    Leaving the house with damp hair and no hat.
    comic-p.jpg
    4a fine, thin, high porosity
    Poo: SM Y&B, BT TT
    C: HE Reconditioning, Suave Almond and Shea
    DC: CJ CR, CJ RM
    LI: JC DT
    Curl Cream: RN BWCC, CJ CCCC
    Gel: CJ AFG
    Refresher: SM Thickening Mist, SM Y&A Milk, CJ CIAB
    Moisturizer: CJ SL, SM CES
  • NaturalReviewNaturalReview Posts: 91Registered Users
    I agree that not doing enough hot oil treatments and deep conditioners led to some hair issues.

www.naturalreviewbyl.com
  • xtremelyperfectxtremelyperfect Posts: 177Registered Users
    Going out in the cold with wet hair and coconut oil on top. Coconut oil solidifies in the cold and it was a disaster! My hair was frozen within minutes. :sad6:
    life has no limitations, except the ones you make.
    Message me for my Tumblr.
    Follow me on Twitter: @xtremelyperfect
    My Fotki Page is here!

event.png

comic-s.jpg

bdocks11.gif
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Forgetting to moisturize and seal my hair at night...the air is toooo dry here! I'd wake up in the morning with my hair feeling like straw.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    I just realized that I don't moisturize my hair everyday. I'll do my hair one day and it feels moisturized and everything, but then that moisturized feel goes away gradually and my hair dries out. No wonder I've been experiencing split ends and knots. I also don't seal regularly. I need to step my hair regimen up.

Moisturize everyday people!
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • JessicazFroJessicazFro Posts: 1,446Registered Users
    I completely ignored my hair in the winter LOL

I wore a shrunken fro daily, didn't wash or moisturize regularly, never dc'ed and rarely detangled.

I have seen the light LOL I'll keep my hair in two-strand twists (and may even attempt a roller set) for the winter. I'll dc at least twice a week. Very easy to do with twists in. :)
    tex-laxed(pfffttt) :dontknow:
    Thick/coarse/low porosity/low elasticity
    4a/b cottony/spongy

At war with my indestructible, armadillo hair...MY WILL BE DONE!

imager.php?id=2689460&t=o GIFSoup
    :tongue:
  • korkscrewqtkorkscrewqt Posts: 96Registered Users
    Going outside with wet hair with shea butter on it. In 20 mins my hair was hard and white. Not a good look.
    2ywisjp.jpg
    I don't subscribe to 1-4 typing system.:afro:
    Healthy Hair = Good Hair
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Posts: 626Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »
    Forgetting to moisturize and seal my hair at night...the air is toooo dry here! I'd wake up in the morning with my hair feeling like straw.

+1 Southern Cali dryness is noo joke!
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users

[guano?] get a Humidifier ladies!! Its a must.. I got it for my sinuses last yr (turns out my "migraines" ive been druggin up to alleviate the past cpl years were sinus headaches smh) but im sure itll help the hair!
    I got vicks brand from Target, only like $30.. Be careful not to get a vaporizer, those are the ones that make the room all hot and muggy.
    Mine has cool invisible mist, it adds moisture to the air but doesnt make the room all wet or cold so its great for all seasons, ill look up the actual name! Good investment ..

oh and I get the bestttt sleep with it, bonus LoL
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Reeky wrote: »

[guano?] get a Humidifier ladies!! Its a must.. I got it for my sinuses last yr (turns out my "migraines" ive been druggin up to alleviate the past cpl years were sinus headaches smh) but im sure itll help the hair!
    I got vicks brand from Target, only like $30.. Be careful not to get a vaporizer, those are the ones that make the room all hot and muggy.
    Mine has cool invisible mist, it adds moisture to the air but doesnt make the room all wet or cold so its great for all seasons, ill look up the actual name! Good investment ..

oh and I get the bestttt sleep with it, bonus LoL

I swear we've discussed this before. This season, I'm going to listen to you.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file