Fine-Medium 3c hair & Over Conditioning

Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Registered Users Posts: 626
If your hair is on the Fine-Medium textured side; has your hair ever been over conditioned, what does it feel like?? What did you do??

I switched up my routine, and now I wash then apply conditoner, and sit under a hood dryer, both when I dc & when I use my regular conditoner.

Since I have started doing this, I've noticed I need less of everything less moisture, less conditioner, less leave-ins, less sealers. My SO even commented on how sliky my looks now. And when I braid it up, it feels really soft, I dont ever remember my hair feeling like this.

Dont get me wrong I'm loving my hair right now, But I dont know if, I'm just not use to the feel of really healthy hair, ( I've been fighting dry porous hair my whole life), or if its going into the over conditioned range and I don't know it.
3c, fine, porous,MBL
Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix

Comments

• subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    does your hair feel mushy? i know that's one of the describptive words i've heard used when people talk about overconditioned hair. and the one time i've experienced overconditioning, that's exactly what my wet hair felt like. it was really mushy and super stretchy.
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Registered Users Posts: 626
    I would not say its mushy, but mushy like.... how?

cooked pasta? a stuffed animal?
    Im sorry, I'm trying to think of a texture to compare it too?
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    I'm a fine haired 4a and I can't leave moisture dcs in for more than half an hour without my hair going "mushy". Feels like all the strength is gone out of your hair and it's just lifeless and limp in your hand. I know better but I left a honey-glycerine-oil treatment in my hair overnight earlier this week. Big mushy mistake!! I had to do a protein treatment to restore strength.

That's why this quote from Anthony Dickey's thread I feel is misleading.

"It’s almost impossible to over-condition your naturally dry texture. "
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • nana_banananana_banana Registered Users Posts: 735
    When my hair is over conditioned, it feels lifeless, coated, limp, and greasy-in-a-bad-way.

There is a fine line between over conditioned and conditioned to perfection. And it's up to you and how you like your hair! If you are enjoying the way it looks and feels, I think you are fine. But if your hair starts losing it's volume, going limp, or just not "looking right", then maybe it is over conditioned.

I stopped doing daily conditioner rinses and it has helped immensely with the overall look of my hair.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
    I would not say its mushy, but mushy like.... how?

cooked pasta? a stuffed animal?
    Im sorry, I'm trying to think of a texture to compare it too?

it's hard to explain, which is why i never understood why folks described it as mushy. then i felt it and it was like "aha!" the best thing i can compare it to is one time i let a pair of shoelaces sit in bleach to try to whiten them. when i picked them up out of the bleach they were mushy and fell apart in my hand. same kind of mushy.

but it sounds like you have well conditioned hair. lucky you!
  • ReekyReeky Registered Users Posts: 1,323
    +1 on the mushy.. its hard to describe but youll know it when you feel it
    i want compare it to the feel of boiled spinach lol
    a good test is to pull a strand of hair..
    if it stretches and springs back, similar to if you were to stretch a regular string.. your okay
    but if it stretches and stretches and stretches and doesnt spring back or snaps, your OC'd

my hair got that way yearsss ago, I was in jr high & doing wash & go buns everyday.. and wasnt necessarily overconditioning, but I wasnt taking my hair down at the end of the day to let it dry. It was not cool lol
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • ursulaursula Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Curl Neophyte
    Hmm... after reading this thread, I'm more convinced that I've overconditioned my hair. So, how do you swing your hair back to just being perfectly conditioned? I don't want to give up conditioner entirely. For those of you who have overconditioned in the past, how did you make your hair normal again?
    In search of a lost signature...
  • madisonkmadisonk Registered Users Posts: 49
    OP I'm so glad you posted about this.

I have really porous hair too and i just got it dyed and highlighted. I have been DC'ing the heck out of my hair...like every night. I was afraid of damage. And now my hair feels really, really soft and i need less product. I don't know if it's from the bleach or the conditioning, but I like the feel too. Cause i'm use to having HARD hair.

If your hair is over conditioned, do you have breakage or shedding? I have very little shedding...just really soft hair now. btw...I DC'd with Aveda Damage Remedy last night and it's still really soft.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3c/b with a patch of 4zzzz, Very Porous, and Thick
    Favs right now: Honeyquat, Eco Clear, Aveeno Soft Gel, and LOVE ME SOME CIAB

http://public.fotki.com/MadisonK/

BC'd May 7, 2010! Transitioned for 9 months. Lovin' every minute of it! :headbang:
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Registered Users Posts: 626
    Thanks Ladies!!!

So I do not have that mushy feeling, it just feels really soft & smooth. I will keep and eye out for it though.

The more I think about it the funnier it seems; beause now when my hair feels soft and silky all the time, I get scared and think "ooo no something MUST be wrong", insecure much? LOL
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
  • ReekyReeky Registered Users Posts: 1,323
    ursula wrote: »
    Hmm... after reading this thread, I'm more convinced that I've overconditioned my hair. So, how do you swing your hair back to just being perfectly conditioned? I don't want to give up conditioner entirely. For those of you who have overconditioned in the past, how did you make your hair normal again?

you dont give up conditioner entirely.. protein usually helps bring it back to normal.. you have to learn to balance the two. Dont dt too often, and if you cowash everyday alternate between moisturizing and conditioners with a lil protein.

Thanks Ladies!!!

So I do not have that mushy feeling, it just feels really soft & smooth. I will keep and eye out for it though.

The more I think about it the funnier it seems; beause now when my hair feels soft and silky all the time, I get scared and think "ooo no something MUST be wrong", insecure much? LOL

yes your just paranoid, thats called healthy hair LoL congrats. If you use the aogpb you should be good. Incorporating protein has actually helped me hold onto moisture.
    Its been said over and over but take whats been working for you & develop a conditioning routine/schedule and stick to it. That way you dont overdo it.. like I always PT&DT on Sundays & if my hair feels dry during the week a cowash with a rich condish usually helps bring it back w/o overdoing it.
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
    Reeky wrote: »

you dont give up conditioner entirely.. protein usually helps bring it back to normal.. you have to learn to balance the two. Dont dt too often, and if you cowash everyday alternate between moisturizing and conditioners with a lil protein.

protein brought me back too. i normally use a conditioner with protein and do protein treatments (my hair thrives with protein) but after a bad henna experience, i had to cut it out of my routine completely. next thing i knew i had overconditioned hair. but once i brought protein back into my regimen, i've been fine.
  • OnduleeOndulee Registered Users Posts: 1,305 Curl Connoisseur
    to me mushy hair means that when I grab hold of a fist full of hair, I can't even feel that I have anything in my hand, it's like my hair has lost its substance; almost like it's disintegrating..."mushy" is sooo hard to describe, but I know it when I feel it.
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• ursulaursula Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Curl Neophyte
    subbrock wrote: »
    Reeky wrote: »

protein brought me back too. i normally use a conditioner with protein and do protein treatments (my hair thrives with protein) but after a bad henna experience, i had to cut it out of my routine completely. next thing i knew i had overconditioned hair. but once i brought protein back into my regimen, i've been fine.

Thanks, Reeky and subbrock! I'm going to go out and buy a protein conditioner today. I've always been afraid of protein. :lol:

I don't DT at all, but I've been using Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition for a few months, which I loved at first but I think it's getting too moisturizing for me.
    In search of a lost signature...
  • LaFemmeBouclesLaFemmeBoucles Registered Users Posts: 49
    pardon my lateness here but yes. mushy is the right word- like over-cooked angel hair pasta lol.

I keep a bottle of ApHogee 2min Reconstructor treatment around in case I over-condition - it really, really works as one of those 'just in case products'. I can't remember the last time I over-conditioned but the ApHogee helps. The protein restores your hair's pH and snaps it right back to life. All you do is comb it through for a couple of minutes (no more) and voila!

HTH

Light & Care,
    lfb
    If I'm losing balance in a pose, I stretch higher towards God and He steadies me. It works every time, and not just in yoga
    3c/4a -> loving life, curls, butters and yoga!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file