Interesting conversation with type 2's and type 3's

13»

Comments

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    Commenting on what someone has doesn't mean you want it yourself. I complement people on straight hair (both naturally straight and relaxed) from time to time, but I don't want their hair, LOL.

I don't assume white people who complement me have hair envy. If they do, they may have covet the thickness, body, density, color, whatever, but I dont see them going to to get their hair processed to look like mine.

I know, I'm probably beating a dead horse, LOL!

i think what most of us were talking about (or at least what i was talking about) is when somebody, particularly somebody who is white, compliments your hair and then actually follows it up with the, "i wish i had your hair" comment. to be honest, i think the only people i would accept that comment from are posters on this website.
    IRL, ive given the side eye to black women who straighten or relax who say the same thing. i know if you can't handle 4 weeks of new growth you really don't want 7 yrs worth of it.
    Awww. Thanks Greenandchic... and since we so luvyduvy.. um.. cough up the frickken secret to your hair color.. IT.IS.KILLING.ME!

I dyed my hair on Monday with the Natural Instincts Ebony Mocha.. and it's aight..*rolling my eyes*. Ugh.. I wants my hair color like yours dammit! And if you say it's Henna.. I will die because I'm scared henna will straighten my 3b curls..then I would go into a coma. Like for real.
    OMG henna and indigo zapped the life out of my curls. actually it was cassia, rather than henna. but either way, don't do it!
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    subbrock wrote: »
    OMG henna and indigo zapped the life out of my curls. actually it was cassia, rather than henna. but either way, don't do it!

Ohhhhhhh no. I would NEVER.. EVER put Henna, indigo, or cassia in my hair. My curls act like they just want a reason to go straight on top. I don't recall if you read my aloe thread but lawd.. pure undiluted preservative free organic aloe vera juice zapped the life out of my curls until I washed with sulfates and deep conditioned. They bounced right back but I was scared to death for a good hour and a half.

So I know dayum well with the curl loosening effects of henna, indigo, and cassia my hair would flatline. And I'm not having it..that's why you NEVER see me on the board wondering, questioning, or really involved to much in henna and cassia discussions. I just think for 3b and 3c hair that doesn't actually coil but has a large S pattern it's ASKING for trouble in the long run unless the person just really wants a basic very loose wavy look to the hair. I don't. I like my natural S's just fine and last thing they need is to be any looser! :)
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    LOL! OK, but its not that exciting!

Over the past few years, I've been into the blue/back hair phase. I would do a demi permanent color every 6-8 weeks or so. I used L'Oreal Color Gems Haircolor Blue Black and that worked out well. I also used Goldwell 2A Blue Black. Then about 13 months ago, I decided to do a permanent color:confused5:. I used Garnier 100% Color Gel Permanent Creme Color, Blue Black 210 and that dried my hair out something terrible.

I decided to give my hair a break and only use temporary color, including Manic Panic Black and Blue Cream Formula Semi-Permanent Hair Color Dye.

Late last winter, I got sick of super dark hair and decided to give it a break. When I got my hair trimmed last spring, my hair dresser did a purple/magenta color in my hair. Because I had dyed my hair black permanently the previous fall, the ends was still very black and still is. What you see in the pic below is the result of that blue/black dye. I used henna recently and the roots that are naturally sun bleached are now red. In the light, my hair has a reddish glow to it.

I may do an indigo to even it all out, but I need to decide if I want to continue to have black, black hair.

Thank you for the information. You sound like me with the black hair dye. I don't do the permanent black dye anymore either but man for years I was addicted to blue-black dye. I've been using the Natural Instincts but I'm bored with it. When I first used it in Ebony Mocha.. I loved it. Now after a few times..I'm not impressed. It's no real spice to it. Boring.

I've been wanting a blue tint to my hair for some time..where it basically looks black usually but in the sunlight you can see a blue tint to it! But then I saw your purple-black hair and swwooooooooon. So I think I'll investigate into the Manic Panic colors..I see they have some really cool colors where I might be able to get a cool tint.

I really really appreciate the help cause my curls look great but my hair color is pretty drab and dreadful these days and not in a cool goth way either. :(

I would sometimes just dye my hair blue when it was super black. The blue/black dyes in general dont have much staying power in the blue color. Manic Panic is fun; you just have to deal with the possibility of color transfer for a short while.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i read about your aloe vera juice tragedy and now i know never to try it. the top/front part of my hair is just looking for an excuse to go straight to and i am not trying to look like a female michael jackson. no ma'am!
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Ohhhhhhh no. I would NEVER.. EVER put Henna, indigo, or cassia in my hair. My curls act like they just want a reason to go straight on top. I don't recall if you read my aloe thread but lawd.. pure undiluted preservative free organic aloe vera juice zapped the life out of my curls until I washed with sulfates and deep conditioned. They bounced right back but I was scared to death for a good hour and a half.

So I know dayum well with the curl loosening effects of henna, indigo, and cassia my hair would flatline. And I'm not having it..that's why you NEVER see me on the board wondering, questioning, or really involved to much in henna and cassia discussions. I just think for 3b and 3c hair that doesn't actually coil but has a large S pattern it's ASKING for trouble in the long run unless the person just really wants a basic very loose wavy look to the hair. I don't. I like my natural S's just fine and last thing they need is to be any looser! :)

Not trying to convince you to henna ('cause I know you gonna do what you want, lol), but if you mix henna with other stuff it's not going to loosen your curls but you still get some color deposit. I have more s curls at the top, but I mix my henna with a ton of stuff, never straight henna, because it can be drying - coconut milk, oils, honey, agave, etc, or add mehndi powder w/ amla. I also think that it is more likely to loosen the curl of fine hair rather than coarse hair b/c the loosening is due to weight. Just sayin - I know you would be pissed if your curls got loosened though so it's prob not worth the risk.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • LiyahLiyah Posts: 118Registered Users
    Liyah wrote: »
    And kinky to them might not mean "black cnapp, 4b type hair" it may just mean tangled, frizzy, curly hair.

I don't get why people feel the need to "school" people on words like any one race/group/culture has the lock on a word.

Lawd.. why we always got to have the token dissenter among us. :angry1:

I don't get why people always swear people trying to "school" someone just because they voiced an opinion that ain't had sht to do with taking someone to school.

ROFL! Let me stop..:angel1: as much dissenting as I like to do. :happy3:
    I didn't mean anyone in here was schooling anyone, I had no one particular in mind when I wrote my post.

:hello2:
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ellepixie wrote: »

Not trying to convince you to henna ('cause I know you gonna do what you want, lol), but if you mix henna with other stuff it's not going to loosen your curls but you still get some color deposit. I have more s curls at the top, but I mix my henna with a ton of stuff, never straight henna, because it can be drying - coconut milk, oils, honey, agave, etc, or add mehndi powder w/ amla. I also think that it is more likely to loosen the curl of fine hair rather than coarse hair b/c the loosening is due to weight. Just sayin - I know you would be pissed if your curls got loosened though so it's prob not worth the risk.

Thanks for the info Elle! I always appreciate when you chime in with the 411.

Even if I was convinced about Henna..there is still the factor of the color. I like very dark pretty much black hair the best on me. But I did read Henna helps to strengthen the hair sort of like protein which I think is cool and it seems a lot of people enjoy it's benefits. I'm 100% positive that I will never use Henna in my life though and after the dayum aloeverajuicegate fiscal :pale:.. no way. I'm scuuuuuured!

I'll stick with rinses that I absolutely know for sure will have no affect to my curls except for the color.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Thanks for the info Elle! I always appreciate when you chime in with the 411.

Even if I was convinced about Henna..there is still the factor of the color. I like very dark pretty much black hair the best on me. But I did read Henna helps to strengthen the hair sort of like protein which I think is cool and it seems a lot of people enjoy it's benefits. I'm 100% positive that I will never use Henna in my life though and after the dayum aloeverajuicegate fiscal :pale:.. no way. I'm scuuuuuured!

I'll stick with rinses that I absolutely know for sure will have no affect to my curls except for the color.

Sure thing! Also, I've read that you aren't supposed to dye over henna, so if you'd eventually want the black back I wouldn't recommend it. When I finish my henna, I gotta let it go...I'm tired of looking like orphan Ellie!
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    suns4i6e wrote: »
    RedCelticCurls, Sadly, I can see the covert or even overt racial inference in the comments of rednecks or 'innocent' children. But I'm curious as to what kind of backlash you received from black, relaxed women regarding your curls, which are unabashedly beautiful (please read with minimal gushing).

Thank you!

The type of comments I get from some relaxed Black women are asking me why I don't fix my hair, why don't I straighten it so it will look good and not messy, and, on occasion, someone telling me that it's nappy, and not in a 'take back the word' sense. I want to retort with something mean about fried ends and burnt-out hairlines, but I just respond that I like my hair texture the way it is.

On the flip side, I see a lot of naturals at work, and it isn't unusual to get into conversations about products and routines, etc.. Those conversations are more fun.
    Liyah wrote: »
    This just goes to show that within different cultures (whatever the word) 2 cultures can use the same word to mean 2 totally different things.

I didn't even know "white" people said "kinky", to be honest.

And kinky to them might not mean "black cnapp, 4b type hair" it may just mean tangled, frizzy, curly hair.

To my Mom, it meant that it was too curly for her to handle, lol. My texture is that of two great uncles, so my parents really didn't know how to care for it. The impression that I got was that it just wasn't able to be managed, and so it was kept short to keep bulk at minimum. Too bad no one was able to teach me about my hair when I was young.

LOL! A tighter curl ain't neccessarily "black girl kinky hair" though. And I think you are a rarity among most white women on that front. But I understand what you are conveying.

Oddly, I was driving my car today thinking about your hair.. ROFL! Don't think I'm weird. Okay yeah that's weird cause I was thinking about how pretty it is.. and also because I've gotten into making this flax seed gel stuff and it's sort of like Kinky Curly and I recall you said you like KCCC. I just wondered if you had ever used the flax seed gel and what you thought of it since you and I have similiar properties to our hair ? I guess I could have PM'ed you with this BS.. sorry. :?

I have never tried it, although I have always been curious. I'm lazy about making it too, which plays into it. It sounds nice and squishy, and my hair does well with that type of stuff. Oh, and did you see my thread on Product Reviews about Pink Boots. I got clumps from that stuff, and I never get clumps because most of my curl is S-shaped until the bottom bits start to coil/spiral.

I tried henna twice. Dried out and loosened up. Bleh. I'll stick to the bottle red.

I wonder if those with S-patterned curls are more prone to loosening that those that have spirals and coils.
    LOL! OK, but its not that exciting!

Over the past few years, I've been into the blue/back hair phase. I would do a demi permanent color every 6-8 weeks or so. I used L'Oreal Color Gems Haircolor Blue Black and that worked out well. I also used Goldwell 2A Blue Black. Then about 13 months ago, I decided to do a permanent color:confused5:. I used Garnier 100% Color Gel Permanent Creme Color, Blue Black 210 and that dried my hair out something terrible.

I decided to give my hair a break and only use temporary color, including Manic Panic Black and Blue Cream Formula Semi-Permanent Hair Color Dye.

Late last winter, I got sick of super dark hair and decided to give it a break. When I got my hair trimmed last spring, my hair dresser did a purple/magenta color in my hair. Because I had dyed my hair black permanently the previous fall, the ends was still very black and still is. What you see in the pic below is the result of that blue/black dye. I used henna recently and the roots that are naturally sun bleached are now red. In the light, my hair has a reddish glow to it.

I may do an indigo to even it all out, but I need to decide if I want to continue to have black, black hair.

Thank you for the information. You sound like me with the black hair dye. I don't do the permanent black dye anymore either but man for years I was addicted to blue-black dye. I've been using the Natural Instincts but I'm bored with it. When I first used it in Ebony Mocha.. I loved it. Now after a few times..I'm not impressed. It's no real spice to it. Boring.

I've been wanting a blue tint to my hair for some time..where it basically looks black usually but in the sunlight you can see a blue tint to it! But then I saw your purple-black hair and swwooooooooon. So I think I'll investigate into the Manic Panic colors..I see they have some really cool colors where I might be able to get a cool tint.

I really really appreciate the help cause my curls look great but my hair color is pretty drab and dreadful these days and not in a cool goth way either. :(

I would sometimes just dye my hair blue when it was super black. The blue/black dyes in general dont have much staying power in the blue color. Manic Panic is fun; you just have to deal with the possibility of color transfer for a short while.

I remember reading that blue is the largest color-dye molecule. It is often said that red is the largest. But, blue is larger, but doesn't get as much press as red does since blue is less commonly used. I know how red fades, so I can only imagine how quickly blues fade.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I remember reading that blue is the largest color-dye molecule. It is often said that red is the largest. But, blue is larger, but doesn't get as much press as red does since blue is less commonly used. I know how red fades, so I can only imagine how quickly blues fade.

Yes, my blue never lasted longer than a couple of weeks. It was so frustrating. :sad9:
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
13»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file