I remembered a tip from Mysterflavored NOT Mysterflavored: Shellynot

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Sorry my mistake. Here is the link to ShellyNot's Videol

http://curllove.blogspot.com/2008/03/styling-videos.html

On one of ShellyNot's videos she says her hairdresser suggested that she not diffuse upside down because it ruffles the cuticle.

I always diffuse upside down for height at the crown but I have big problems with frizz. Today I just diffused for about 10 seconds upside down and did the rest right side up. I did not get the height that I need, and I've never mastered clipping :cussing:but my hair definitely has less frizz and looks better overall. Anyone else tried this?

OK - not sure this works for anyone but it is a tip in ShellyNot's video -- I put the link above. Sorry for misinformation before.
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    curlypearl wrote: »
    On one of Mysteryflavored videos she says her hairdresser suggested that she not diffuse upside down because it ruffles the cuticle.

I always diffuse upside down for height at the crown but I have big problems with frizz. Today I just diffused for about 10 seconds upside down and did the rest right side up. I did not get the height that I need, and I've never mastered clipping :cussing:but my hair definitely has less frizz and looks better overall. Anyone else tried this?

OK I know when you are blowing hair straight you should try to aim the air down the hair, not up the hair, to help smooth it. But I don't see how it would matter whether you were upside down or right side up. Only whether you aimed the stream of air up the hairs or down. So pushing the hair up toward the head with the diffuser might ruffle the cuticle, yes, but I do not see how standing up would change this....
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    I agree with Robin. I think using any kind of heat tools would ruffle the cuticle, whether you do it upside-down or not. :) I diffuse upside down all the time, mostly because it's easier to dry the hair in the back of my head that way -- but diffusing right-side up always gives me a "pyramid effect" and not as much curl. I've never really been able to figure out why. Probably becuase it's drying the hair closest to the ends and not the roots, so it looks flat on top because it's still a little damp. I don't know why, but I find it a lot easier to push the diffuser up to my scalp when I dry my hair upside down as opposed to right-side up, but maybe that's just me! :toothy8:
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't remember Mystery's video and her mentioning this. I don't see how drying upside down could ruff up the cuticle more. Every stylist I've ever been to with the exception of 1 dried my hair at the end this way? I never noticed a difference on me personally I get less definition when I don't do some diffusing upside down.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm wondering whether it was someone else's video, not Mysteryflavored. It was a long time ago, when I first joined nc.com and I may have her videos mixed up with someone else's. Anyway, my hair turned out well today so I thought maybe diffusing right side up was the reason. Then again, maybe the stars were in the right alignment or the curl fairy waved her wand over my head for a change!

If I find the video again, I'll update.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • BLBBLB Posts: 268Registered Users
    -- but diffusing right-side up always gives me a "pyramid effect" and not as much curl. I've never really been able to figure out why. Probably becuase it's drying the hair closest to the ends and not the roots, so it looks flat on top because it's still a little damp. I don't know why, but I find it a lot easier to push the diffuser up to my scalp when I dry my hair upside down as opposed to right-side up, but maybe that's just me! :toothy8:
    It's funny...I can see my hair start to do this, (pyramid/flat top) and that's when I know I'm ready to flip my hair upside down. I cannot start diffusing upside down or i would lose a lot of curl and my hair would be HUGE and fluffy when finished. I have to start right side up until my hair is pretty dry, and then I flip for just a few minutes for added volume. I think initially drying right side up sort of sets my curl.
    2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
    Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
    DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
    LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
    Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
    Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
    http://picasaweb.google.com/114440579402158395573/HAIRPICS?feat=directlink

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file