Seriously? My hair can't be rollerset?! Georgia Peaches sound off!!

gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
So I go to my old stylist today because I wanted her to see my hair now and I told her I would like a roller set. She instantly says no and that my ends will frizz. What she wants to do is blow dry my hair. Then set me up under the bonnet dryer and then flat iron my hair. Imagine my discomfort.....

Sooooo my ATLiens who knows how to work with natural hair AND do a great roller set. I was kind of actually specifically want to do a roller wrap. Let me know. Here are some pics if you also want to let me know what I can realistically expect.
Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
BC: December 19, 2009
Products: Whatever works!

Comments

• lisa6lisa6 Posts: 543Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm not from the ATL, but 2 things quickly came to mind...
    1. she thinks heat (lots) is the only way your natural hair will become smooth.
    2. a blow dry/flat-iron is less time consuming than sectioning, fine combing, using setting spray, using end wraps, spritzing hair that has started to dry, etc.....

I think all hair can be roller set/straw set if the right techniques are followed (starting from wet hair). Since she's already steering you in another direction, that's a clear sign to find someone else who has the patience to do it to your liking...and be gentle with your hair.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've assumed this stylist works primarily with chemically treated hair.
    comic-p.jpg
    4a fine, thin, high porosity
    Poo: SM Y&B, BT TT
    C: HE Reconditioning, Suave Almond and Shea
    DC: CJ CR, CJ RM
    LI: JC DT
    Curl Cream: RN BWCC, CJ CCCC
    Gel: CJ AFG
    Refresher: SM Thickening Mist, SM Y&A Milk, CJ CIAB
    Moisturizer: CJ SL, SM CES
  • journeygirljourneygirl Posts: 33Registered Users
    I mentioned a rollerset to my old stylist back when I was relaxed and she immediately said "that's too much work". Can't imagine what she'd say now! SMH. :sad3:
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    She does work with chemically treated hair. I thought she may have been being lazy too. This is sooooo frustrating!
  • journeygirljourneygirl Posts: 33Registered Users
    gagirl09 wrote: »
    She does work with chemically treated hair. I thought she may have been being lazy too. This is sooooo frustrating!

That's exactly what it is...laziness. My old stylist rather lose the money when I went to someone who would rollerset, like the Dominican salon, rather than do the work. I'd also heard her say "I haven't had to do a rollerset since beauty school!" Like she's too good to rollerset, or she knows she won't be able to do it well, so...why try?
  • curlykinkynfrizzy?curlykinkynfrizzy? Posts: 321Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think she is just being lazy like another poster said and she's likely not used to doing natural hair.

I'm all the way over here in Cali but I had a similar experience earlier this year. I too had wanted a rollerset so I could flat iron it. I explained this on the phone and the stylist asked me if I was mixed. I said no and she said "well, unless you are mixed I"m gonna have to put some heat on your hair to straighten it."

Ummm..yeah I didn't make an appt with her.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    lisa6 wrote: »
    2. a blow dry/flat-iron is less time consuming than sectioning, fine combing, using setting spray, using end wraps, spritzing hair that has started to dry, etc.....

I think all hair can be roller set/straw set if the right techniques are followed (starting from wet hair). Since she's already steering you in another direction, that's a clear sign to find someone else who has the patience to do it to your liking...and be gentle with your hair.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've assumed this stylist works primarily with chemically treated hair.

i agree with most of this. i think the problem is that it would probably be quicker for the stylist to rollerset your hair than to blow dry/flat iron btu she just doesn't realize that. just speaking from personal experience, my whole wet head can get rolled and be ready to sit under the dryer in 20 minutes or less. but to start with wet hair, blow dry it, and then flat iron it is an ordeal that lasts no less than an hour.

anywho, go to somebody else.
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    I think she is just being lazy like another poster said and she's likely not used to doing natural hair.

I'm all the way over here in Cali but I had a similar experience earlier this year. I too had wanted a rollerset so I could flat iron it. I explained this on the phone and the stylist asked me if I was mixed. I said no and she said "well, unless you are mixed I"m gonna have to put some heat on your hair to straighten it."

woooooooooowwwwwwww
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    All hair can be rollerset. I do it all the time. Yeah its a little more challenging because natural hair can dry up quicker so you have to keep spraying water to keep it wet, but other than that trust me your hair can be rollerset.

Maybe you should try going somewhere else. I've seen everything from 2a through 4b hair in rollers.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• lisa6lisa6 Posts: 543Registered Users Curl Novice
    subbrock wrote: »
    lisa6 wrote: »

i agree with most of this. i think the problem is that it would probably be quicker for the stylist to rollerset your hair than to blow dry/flat iron btu she just doesn't realize that. just speaking from personal experience, my whole wet head can get rolled and be ready to sit under the dryer in 20 minutes or less. but to start with wet hair, blow dry it, and then flat iron it is an ordeal that lasts no less than an hour.

anywho, go to somebody else.

I totally agree. I'm not sure why stylists think they're saving precious time with all these heat phases. I got rollersets all the time (I'd be the only one in the salon getting them), and I'd be out the door faster than the other women achieving the bone-straight look. I have to add that I wasn't getting my hair wrapped after the rollers came out.

Growing up, my stylist did nothing but rollersets on her clients (unless the client requested otherwise). Therefore, I maintained my own hair with rollersets...blowdryers and flat-irons were the exception, not the norm. She and the majority of her clients are closer to my mom's age. I think the demand for rollersets along with a stylist's willingness or knowledge to do them have declined. This thread has me wanting to dig out my rollers!
    comic-p.jpg
    4a fine, thin, high porosity
    Poo: SM Y&B, BT TT
    C: HE Reconditioning, Suave Almond and Shea
    DC: CJ CR, CJ RM
    LI: JC DT
    Curl Cream: RN BWCC, CJ CCCC
    Gel: CJ AFG
    Refresher: SM Thickening Mist, SM Y&A Milk, CJ CIAB
    Moisturizer: CJ SL, SM CES
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm too lazy to roller set my hair. I think it would take too much effort to make sure it's straight and the ends are smooth. But that's what STYLISTS are supposed to be for! How you gon' be lazy at YOUR JOB?! Terrible.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • JessicazFroJessicazFro Posts: 1,446Registered Users
    :blob8: I'm gonna try doing one myself. CrownofHisglory did a "silk wrap" video on YT and it doesn't look that hard. I came out quite nice. I don't trust stylists so I'll avoid going to one at ALL cost.
    tex-laxed(pfffttt) :dontknow:
    Thick/coarse/low porosity/low elasticity
    4a/b cottony/spongy

At war with my indestructible, armadillo hair...MY WILL BE DONE!

imager.php?id=2689460&t=o GIFSoup
    :tongue:
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    gagirl09 wrote: »
    So I go to my old stylist today because I wanted her to see my hair now and I told her I would like a roller set. She instantly says no and that my ends will frizz. What she wants to do is blow dry my hair. Then set me up under the bonnet dryer and then flat iron my hair. Imagine my discomfort.....

Sooooo my ATLiens who knows how to work with natural hair AND do a great roller set. I was kind of actually specifically want to do a roller wrap. Let me know. Here are some pics if you also want to let me know what I can realistically expect.

Sounds like you should leave your "old" stylist in the past. I used to get rollersets or body wraps at the salon all the time when I was relaxed because I like big full hair. I got a rollerset a couple of times at the cosmetology school. They did a good job. It was cheap. And the students probably won't complain because they need the practice. Just take your own products because theirs is probably crap.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    I guess I will try curltopia....I have never done a roller set myself and I have too many other things to do to practice a roller set. (Can't wait till Christmas Break) To the mixed hair comment that is RIDICULOUS!
  • NaturalReviewNaturalReview Posts: 91Registered Users
    I've seen plenty of YouTube videos with ladies who have natural hair doing rollersets. They also got good results.

www.naturalreviewbyl.com
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users

*insert flava flav "wooooow!" here*
    she must have been mixed with ignorant and stupid because that was out of control!
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Posts: 2,568Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    subbrock wrote: »

*insert flava flav "wooooow!" here*
    she must have been mixed with ignorant and stupid because that was out of control!

:laughing8:

This woman would've been mad as hell if I was her client b/c I'm mixed and my hair ain't silky or loose or whatever preconceived idea she has of magical "mixed hair."
    comic-p.jpg
  • monnibmonnib Posts: 1Registered Users
    mariag002 wrote: »
    All hair can be rollerset. I do it all the time. Yeah its a little more challenging because natural hair can dry up quicker so you have to keep spraying water to keep it wet, but other than that trust me your hair can be rollerset.

Maybe you should try going somewhere else. I've seen everything from 2a through 4b hair in rollers.

Agreed! I live in the metro Atlanta area and my stylist rollersets my thick 4a hair every week. I'll pm you her info.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file