CurlTalk

Why does my hair feeel so hard? :(

NaturallyBriafulNaturallyBriaful Posts: 72Registered Users
Okay, so recentley my hair has been feeling so hard and idk what to do, it may because i just washed it yesterday and it recovers over time, but usually its been really hard to the touch. On top of that i dont think my conditioner does anything, it doesnt make my hair soft or anything. I use garnier sleek and shine conditioner (green bottle) and daily im using hawaiin silky 14 n1 and argon oil to moisturize.. any help? ;/

Comments

• korkscrewqtkorkscrewqt Posts: 96Registered Users
    A few things come to mind
    - I'm not that familiar with garnier does the products have a lot of cones in it? Cones block the moisture from getting to your hair.

- you may need to clarify your hair to remove the cones

- hawaiian silky has glycerin in it, right. is the weather cold where you live? he's some information about cold weather and its affect glycerin (the author also discusses porosity which could also be a problem)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fthenaturalmane.wordpress.com%2F2010%2F03%2F03%2Fis-glycerin-bad-for-hair%2F" class="Popup
    Like Curl Nikki stated glycerin is hygroscopic. Meaning it takes moisture from the atmosphere. So yes, it can help the hair stay moisturized because it’s bringing moisture to your hair. Glycerin is helpful to many people to combat dry hair and glycerin itself is not drying. So when people say, “glycerin is drying”..that’s sort of a misnomer. Hence why she says, ” This is sort of true, but not really”. In a technical way of looking at it think of it like this: Humectants, like glycerin, can work by absorption (where the substance being collected or removed actually penetrates into the other substance) or through adsorption (where the substance being collected simply sits on the surface).
    Curly Nikki, is focused on the ABSORPTION aspect of glycerin in her article. And she’s absolutely correct in it.
    Now here’s why other people are correct about glycerin being “drying” in a sense:
    Thought process behind why people opt not to use Glycerin in colder months:
    Other people are correct as well though because in the Winter months (and sometimes the Fall) when it gets cold the air often becomes drier and there may be little or what feels like no moisture in the air.
    For instance, in your house when it’s cold like most of us you probably turn your heat on so it can stay warm. Other places like businesses and schools do the same thing. So those places are constantly being heated and that air can often feel dry. You know how your skin can feel dry in the winter especially when you are inside a very well heated building ? Well it’s because of the lack of moisture in the atmosphere you are in.
    While glycerin does attract water molecules from the air and help with moisturization, it can be a problem if there is little or no moisture in the atmosphere for it to utilize. If glycerin is in your hair in a drier environment..it’s still going to do its primary function: Draw moisture (attract water molecules). Which means it would be taking the moisture from your hair because it has no other place to get those water molecules from if the air in the atmosphere is particularly dry.
    So basically the thinking is: in the Winter months when things seems to get dry inside an environment, if one is using glycerin in their hair and that glycerin doesn’t have a steady source of water molecules to attract from the atmosphere..it will “turn” or as some people like to say: “It dries my hair out”. Why ? Because glycerin will still do its job which is to “draw moisture”, but it just will draw that moisture from your hair instead of the atmosphere by the process of adsorption instead of absorption. The hair will often feel greasy but not moisturized.
    These people are focused on the ADSORPTION effects of glycerin. And they are absolutely correct to be concerned about it especially in colder months.
    So technically, Curly Nikki, and the other folks are both correct in the different uses of logic when it comes to glycerin.
    Now here is the catch to all this: POROSITY. Porosity is basically how easily water and other matter can diffuse back and forth through the cuticle layer and into or out of the cortex of the hair.
    Humectants, like glycerin can cause a problem for people with hair that has higher porosity if they are used improperly. For instance, If a person has hair with a higher porosity is using a humectant like glycerin constantly and are around areas where their hair does absorb tons of moisture in excess this can lead to the hair becoming “overly saturated” with moisture. If the hair with high porosity becomes “overly saturated” on a regular basis it can lose its normal elasticity. This can be a terrible problem because a lot of breakage can occur to the hair when it’s manipulated by combing, brushing, rubbing, etc.
    So while glycerin is hygroscopic and is great to help with moisture in general.. getting the best benefits from using it in the hair depends on a few things. They are: the proper usage of it in general (meaning knowing when and how to use it), the porosity of the hair (meaning how easily water goes in an out of the hair shaft), and the atmosphere/environment in which it’s used (meaning is the air dry, there is a lot of moisture around, etc).
    2ywisjp.jpg
    I don't subscribe to 1-4 typing system.:afro:
    Healthy Hair = Good Hair
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Okay, so recentley my hair has been feeling so hard and idk what to do, it may because i just washed it yesterday and it recovers over time, but usually its been really hard to the touch. On top of that i dont think my conditioner does anything, it doesnt make my hair soft or anything. I use garnier sleek and shine conditioner (green bottle) and daily im using hawaiin silky 14 n1 and argon oil to moisturize.. any help? ;/

These are the 14 active ingredients found in Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1: Water, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Mineral Oil, PEG-47 Lanolin, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Polysorbate-60, Triethanolamine, Acetimide AME, Hydrolized Vegetable Protein, Stearyl Alcohol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Menthol, Panthenol DL, Jojoba Oil, Anjelica Root Extract, Articum Lappa Root Extract, Chamomilla Recutita Extract, Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract, Mistletoe Extract, Nettle Extract, Oatmeal Extract, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Sage Leaf Extract, Nasturtium Officinale Extract, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothizolinone, Fragrance

So we have mineral oil, parabens, cones, propylene glycol, glycerin (doesn't agree with everybody's hair), and protein... I think you should maybe leave the Hawaiian Silky alone in favor of a product without so many iffy ingredients.
  • NaturallyBriafulNaturallyBriaful Posts: 72Registered Users
    A few things come to mind
    - I'm not that familiar with garnier does the products have a lot of cones in it? Cones block the moisture from getting to your hair.

- you may need to clarify your hair to remove the cones

- hawaiian silky has glycerin in it, right. is the weather cold where you live? he's some information about cold weather and its affect glycerin (the author also discusses porosity which could also be a problem)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fthenaturalmane.wordpress.com%2F2010%2F03%2F03%2Fis-glycerin-bad-for-hair%2F" class="Popup
    Like Curl Nikki stated glycerin is hygroscopic. Meaning it takes moisture from the atmosphere. So yes, it can help the hair stay moisturized because it’s bringing moisture to your hair. Glycerin is helpful to many people to combat dry hair and glycerin itself is not drying. So when people say, “glycerin is drying”..that’s sort of a misnomer. Hence why she says, ” This is sort of true, but not really”. In a technical way of looking at it think of it like this: Humectants, like glycerin, can work by absorption (where the substance being collected or removed actually penetrates into the other substance) or through adsorption (where the substance being collected simply sits on the surface).
    Curly Nikki, is focused on the ABSORPTION aspect of glycerin in her article. And she’s absolutely correct in it.
    Now here’s why other people are correct about glycerin being “drying” in a sense:
    Thought process behind why people opt not to use Glycerin in colder months:
    Other people are correct as well though because in the Winter months (and sometimes the Fall) when it gets cold the air often becomes drier and there may be little or what feels like no moisture in the air.
    For instance, in your house when it’s cold like most of us you probably turn your heat on so it can stay warm. Other places like businesses and schools do the same thing. So those places are constantly being heated and that air can often feel dry. You know how your skin can feel dry in the winter especially when you are inside a very well heated building ? Well it’s because of the lack of moisture in the atmosphere you are in.
    While glycerin does attract water molecules from the air and help with moisturization, it can be a problem if there is little or no moisture in the atmosphere for it to utilize. If glycerin is in your hair in a drier environment..it’s still going to do its primary function: Draw moisture (attract water molecules). Which means it would be taking the moisture from your hair because it has no other place to get those water molecules from if the air in the atmosphere is particularly dry.
    So basically the thinking is: in the Winter months when things seems to get dry inside an environment, if one is using glycerin in their hair and that glycerin doesn’t have a steady source of water molecules to attract from the atmosphere..it will “turn” or as some people like to say: “It dries my hair out”. Why ? Because glycerin will still do its job which is to “draw moisture”, but it just will draw that moisture from your hair instead of the atmosphere by the process of adsorption instead of absorption. The hair will often feel greasy but not moisturized.
    These people are focused on the ADSORPTION effects of glycerin. And they are absolutely correct to be concerned about it especially in colder months.
    So technically, Curly Nikki, and the other folks are both correct in the different uses of logic when it comes to glycerin.
    Now here is the catch to all this: POROSITY. Porosity is basically how easily water and other matter can diffuse back and forth through the cuticle layer and into or out of the cortex of the hair.
    Humectants, like glycerin can cause a problem for people with hair that has higher porosity if they are used improperly. For instance, If a person has hair with a higher porosity is using a humectant like glycerin constantly and are around areas where their hair does absorb tons of moisture in excess this can lead to the hair becoming “overly saturated” with moisture. If the hair with high porosity becomes “overly saturated” on a regular basis it can lose its normal elasticity. This can be a terrible problem because a lot of breakage can occur to the hair when it’s manipulated by combing, brushing, rubbing, etc.
    So while glycerin is hygroscopic and is great to help with moisture in general.. getting the best benefits from using it in the hair depends on a few things. They are: the proper usage of it in general (meaning knowing when and how to use it), the porosity of the hair (meaning how easily water goes in an out of the hair shaft), and the atmosphere/environment in which it’s used (meaning is the air dry, there is a lot of moisture around, etc).

So your sugggesting that i shouldnt be using glycerine in these colder months? whats a good moisturizer to get? and since iv been natural i cant really afford any good quality products except from sally's cause the other ones are way out of my price range so idk if i can help my moisture problem. :/

And hawaiin silky is the only moistrizer i tried from sallys that works but idk its doing its job this season. what else should i do?
    I'm not saying that you shouldn't use glycerin. I'm just trying to provide information on why your hair might be hard. What do you consider expensive? The shea moisture line is sold at target. They have Coconut & Hisbicus Hold & Shine Moisture Mist. Here are the ingredients.

Here are the ingredients
    Deionized Water, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*,
    Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Bu@er)*, Silk
    Protein, EssenQal Oil Blend, Melia Azadirachta
    (Neem) Seed Oil, Algae Extract, Hyssopus
    Officinalis Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf
    and Equisetum Arvense Extract, Lonicera
    Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera
    Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract,
    Tocopherol (Vitamin E). *Denotes CerQfied
    Organic Ingredient.

You can also buy butters to moisturize your hair. I get mine from /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.camdengrey.com%2Fessential-oils%2FRaw-Materials-Butters-Waxes%2F" class="Popup

I prefer olive butter. You can get 2lbs for $17 plus shipping. 2lbs should last you a few months, at 4-6. You don't need too much. I put on the butter then add a conditioner or leave-in and I'm out the door.

There's also the Kimmaytube moisturizer. You don't have to use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink] you can use another moisturizing conditioner. This recipe makes a lot of product.
    - 1 oz (2 tablespoons) of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Kinky-Curly Knot Today[/buylink] Leave-In
    - 2 tablespoons of Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Juice (Whole Leaf version)
    - 2 teaspoons of Castor Oil
    - 2 teaspoons of Jojoba Oil

Mix ingredients well and refrigerate.

Are you baggying your hair at night? You could use a glycerin product at home at night with a plastic bag. This will help moisturize your hair at night. Cowash your hair in the morning and use something else.
    2ywisjp.jpg
    Healthy Hair = Good Hair
  • E.B.E.B. Posts: 158Registered Users
    You might need a clarifying/chelating shampoo. I like the Quantum clarifying shampoo from Sally's.
    I'm not saying that you shouldn't use glycerin. I'm just trying to provide information on why your hair might be hard. What do you consider expensive? The shea moisture line is sold at target. They have Coconut & Hisbicus Hold & Shine Moisture Mist. Here are the ingredients.

Here are the ingredients
    Deionized Water, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*,
    Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Bu@er)*, Silk
    Protein, EssenQal Oil Blend, Melia Azadirachta
    (Neem) Seed Oil, Algae Extract, Hyssopus
    Officinalis Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf
    and Equisetum Arvense Extract, Lonicera
    Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera
    Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract,
    Tocopherol (Vitamin E). *Denotes CerQfied
    Organic Ingredient.

You can also buy butters to moisturize your hair. I get mine from /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.camdengrey.com%2Fessential-oils%2FRaw-Materials-Butters-Waxes%2F" class="Popup

I prefer olive butter. You can get 2lbs for $17 plus shipping. 2lbs should last you a few months, at 4-6. You don't need too much. I put on the butter then add a conditioner or leave-in and I'm out the door.

There's also the Kimmaytube moisturizer. You don't have to use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink] you can use another moisturizing conditioner. This recipe makes a lot of product.
    - 1 oz (2 tablespoons) of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Kinky-Curly Knot Today[/buylink] Leave-In
    - 2 tablespoons of Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Juice (Whole Leaf version)
    - 2 teaspoons of Castor Oil
    - 2 teaspoons of Jojoba Oil

Mix ingredients well and refrigerate.

Are you baggying your hair at night? You could use a glycerin product at home at night with a plastic bag. This will help moisturize your hair at night. Cowash your hair in the morning and use something else.

Whats baggying? and yes i do think the shea moisture is expensive, well for me.. :/
  • LouieLouie Posts: 144Registered Users

Hey Bria!

i've been having the same issue! well did. i asked the ladies on here a few weeks ago about any suggestions and tips. Basically it's just like someone stated; try to use products with 'no CONES'. Are you fully natural? transitioner?
    & if you do find a product that do have cones, make sure it's not like first, second, or third, etc. on the list. It should be way down the ingredient list.

I'm a transitioner; what worked for me so far is: co-washing; I recently purchased aussie moist & so far so good, we'll see how long it'll last. To moisurize: i actually use a mix of doo gro, razor perfect perm moisturizer, and evoo. A little bit of doo gro and a little bit of the ppc and that did the trick for me. I know it has petroleum, and mineral oil, but it'll do for the time being until I can invest in "all natural" hair products bc that's what I really want but can't afford.

Now this works for me. It left my hair feeling moisturized -- hopefully soon I can get a really go natural moisturizer. I'll put it on a christmas list. :D

Really,why not check out www.thisboardrocks.com
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
    Also, what kind of argan oil are you using? Many of them sold in stores are laden with cones galore...

The Garnier Sleek and Shine condish I looked up had the following ingreds (fortifying):

Aqua/Water/Eau, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Amodimethicone, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Parfum/Fragrance, Cetyl Esters, Lauryl PEG/PPG 18/18 Methicone, Methylparaben, Persea Gratissima Avocado Oil, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine HCI, Trideceth 12, Citric Acid, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Cetrimonium Chloride, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methypropional, Citrus Limonium (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract

A cone and perfume high on the list can equal dry hair...Suave Naturals doesn't have any cones, and you could leave some of that in and seal with Crisco or EVOO.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    I use the moroccan argon oil dry treatment.. iv been buying it forever. thats the only oil i use, and wow i didnt know that conditioner had a cone in it.. what ingredients says that? so i can know ahead of time and yeah suave sounds good i saw that in my nearby krogers.. and where do you buy jojoba oil, and evoo at?
    I use the moroccan argon oil dry treatment.. iv been buying it forever. thats the only oil i use, and wow i didnt know that conditioner had a cone in it.. what ingredients says that? so i can know ahead of time and yeah suave sounds good i saw that in my nearby krogers.. and where do you buy jojoba oil, and evoo at?

Is it the one by Hollywood Beauty? If so, that's also full of cones. Any oil treatments that aren't pure oil usually have cones added for the sleek/shiny look. Check your bottle to see if it's pure argan oil. I got the ingredients list from drugstore.com. You can get EVOO from any grocery store, but jojoba oil you'll probably have to go to Whole Foods or a health food/organic type store, or Vitamin Shoppe.
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Whats baggying? and yes i do think the shea moisture is expensive, well for me.. :/
    Baggying is when you apply a Moisturizer or Leave in conditioner to your hair(dry hair) then cover with a plastic shower cap or plastic sandwich bag for a period of time of about 1-4 hours preferably not over night.
    The cap traps the body heat generated through ur scalp (I think the secret to this is that the heat is exactly the amount of heat ur hair needs)

My experience with baggying, after baggying for about a week stretch i found that my ends have never been healthier, my ends became moist, thick and strong. That is why I feel that baggying will benefit us Transitioners very well, Healthy ends equals less or no breakage and hence no drastic shedding and breakage during our journey.
    Importance of baggying:
    -Retaining moisture
    -Hydrates hair
    -Thickens and strengthens ends
    -Retaining length
    How to baggy?
    Apply favorite moisturizer or leave in conditioner, cover with shower cap or plastic bag, leave on for 1-4 hours.

List of Leave ins and Moisturizers:
    Bed Head Tigi- Ego Boost (reviewed- Good)
    Giovanni: Direct Leave in weightless moisture conditioner ( reviewed-Very good)
    Body Shop- Amlika Leave in Conditioner(reviewed- Very good)
    Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship- Leave-In Split End Protector Treatment
    Neutrogena Triple Moisture Leave-in Creme
    Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave-in
    Herbal Essences Break's Over Strengthening Leave-in Creme
    Herbal Essences None of Your Frizzness Leave-in
    Nexxus Humectress
    Pantene (pro v)- Smooth and silky moisture leave in (reviewed- Not bad)
    (Best to use moisture based creamy Leave ins or moisturizers)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurlyback.blogspot.com%2F2009%2F07%2Fimportance-of-baggying-to-transitioners.html" class="Popup
    2ywisjp.jpg
    Healthy Hair = Good Hair
    ellepixie wrote: »

Is it the one by Hollywood Beauty? If so, that's also full of cones. Any oil treatments that aren't pure oil usually have cones added for the sleek/shiny look. Check your bottle to see if it's pure argan oil. I got the ingredients list from drugstore.com. You can get EVOO from any grocery store, but jojoba oil you'll probably have to go to Whole Foods or a health food/organic type store, or Vitamin Shoppe.

41MUkQn0lYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

i use this one but it works really good on my hair. and what should i do? :( and baggying sounds nice but im natural now..
    Here are the ingredients (from Sallybeauty.com) -

DIMETHICONE ,DIMETHICONOL ,CYCLOPENTASILOXANE ,FRAGRANCE ,ARGANIA SPINOSA KERNEL OIL ,OLEA EUROPAEA (OLIVE) FRUIT OIL ,LINUM USITATISSIMUM (LINSEED) SEED OIL ,C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE ,YELLOW 11 ,RED 17

I understand it works well in your hair, but using that along with the other products with cones may not be good for your hair. Looking at the ingredients list, the natural oils most likely only make up a small percentage of the finished product. Often, cones make our hair feel good at the beginning, but then your hair gets very dry b/c it's blocking moisture, and if you are not using a sulfate shampoo, you'll get build up. Are you clarifying at all?

Also, you can certainly baggy with natural hair. The sulfur oil I use nightly totally stinks, so I don't want to get the smell on my bonnet or pillowcase. I put a plastic shower cap over my hair every night after moisturizing and applying the oil to my scalp to keep it from leaking on my bonnet/pillowcase. My ends have gotten much more supple and moisturized.
    YouTube
    The article I posted was about relaxed hair. I was just trying to find info on baggying. However, baggying is appropriate for naturals AND relaxed. I am natural and have been baggying for years. I baggy 2-4xs a week.
    2ywisjp.jpg
    Healthy Hair = Good Hair

DIMETHICONE ,DIMETHICONOL ,CYCLOPENTASILOXANE ,FRAGRANCE ,ARGANIA SPINOSA KERNEL OIL ,OLEA EUROPAEA (OLIVE) FRUIT OIL ,LINUM USITATISSIMUM (LINSEED) SEED OIL ,C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE ,YELLOW 11 ,RED 17

I understand it works well in your hair, but using that along with the other products with cones may not be good for your hair. Looking at the ingredients list, the natural oils most likely only make up a small percentage of the finished product. Often, cones make our hair feel good at the beginning, but then your hair gets very dry b/c it's blocking moisture, and if you are not using a sulfate shampoo, you'll get build up. Are you clarifying at all?

Also, you can certainly baggy with natural hair. The sulfur oil I use nightly totally stinks, so I don't want to get the smell on my bonnet or pillowcase. I put a plastic shower cap over my hair every night after moisturizing and applying the oil to my scalp to keep it from leaking on my bonnet/pillowcase. My ends have gotten much more supple and moisturized.

No i dont clarify, school me how do you do that? im still learning my hair sadly..
  • LiyahLiyah Posts: 118Registered Users
    How to baggy:

You just dampen your hair (you don't want it soaking wet, just damp) and then add a little conditioner (a cheap one will do), coconut oil (you can get it at the grocery store as well), EVOO (grocery store) or any other oil you can find. Then, just put a shower cap on your head along with you scarf and go to bed.

Rinse it all out on the morning with a conditioner wash!

HTH
    Liyah wrote: »

No i dont clarify, school me how do you do that? im still learning my hair sadly..

You just dampen your hair (you don't want it soaking wet, just damp) and then add a little conditioner (a cheap one will do), coconut oil (you can get it at the grocery store as well), EVOO (grocery store) or any other oil you can find. Then, just put a shower cap on your head along with you scarf and go to bed.

HTH

Hey Liyah, you were referring to baggying right?

Clarifying is when you cleanse your hair of buildup from product, butters, cones, etc. Because you are using strong cones, you will need to use a SULFATE shampoo to clarify (ones with SLS). I haven't used a sulfate poo since I went natural, so hopefully someone will chime in and suggest one that isn't too drying.

If you don't use cones, you don't need to use sulfates - you can use a non-sulfate shampoo (I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo-p-844.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo]Kinky Curly Come Clean[/buylink] and Donna Marie shampoos), a shampoo bar (Chargin Valley is good), or, if you don't use a lot of heavy butters, you can most likely get away with cowashing.
    YouTube
  • LiyahLiyah Posts: 118Registered Users

HTH

Clarifying is when you cleanse your hair of buildup from product, butters, cones, etc. Because you are using strong cones, you will need to use a SULFATE shampoo to clarify (ones with SLS). I haven't used a sulfate poo since I went natural, so hopefully someone will chime in and suggest one that isn't too drying.

If you don't use cones, you don't need to use sulfates - you can use a non-sulfate shampoo (I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo-p-844.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo]Kinky Curly Come Clean[/buylink] and Donna Marie shampoos), a shampoo bar (Chargin Valley is good), or, if you don't use a lot of heavy butters, you can most likely get away with cowashing.

Yeah I was referring to baggying...lol! I was thinking abt her clarifying question when I quoted.

Lemme fix that...lol

HTH

yeah i do cowashing, and kinky curly i dont use those products havent tried it yet. way out of my price range at the moment..

HTH

yeah i do cowashing, and kinky curly i dont use those products havent tried it yet. way out of my price range at the moment..

You don't need Kinky Curly. You need a sulfate. Cowashing is not going to wash out silicones - and your hair is probably dry and hard because you have build up. You can get any shampoo from the drugstore with sulfate - Aussie, Herbal Essences, etc....all very cheap.
    YouTube
    Here's some information that should help you. It's a lot but if you want to learn how to take care of your hair properly then you need to educate yourself. This site is geared toward "curly" but the information is valuable for kinky, koily, nappy, or however 3a - 4z want to describe their hair. Of course this is just one person's insight AND opinion. You need to learn what works best for your hair. The web is FULL of information.

http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/curl care.htm

What are Sulfates?

Sulfates are harsh, drying detergents (surfactants) found in regular shampoos that are extremely damaging to curly hair because they strip it of its natural moisture, making it frizzy and unmanageable.

It has been my experience that discontinuing the use of sulfate-based products will restore about 80% of the hair's general health. Now, that's not a scientific number, merely an observation I've made with my own clients, but I doubt there are many non-sulfate cleanser advocates who would disagree with me—I'd bet with confidence they've observed exactly the same thing.

Anyone who tells you not shampooing will eventually lead to hair loss IS partially right—but they are only giving you half the picture. If you don't cleanse your scalp properly and your hair follicles become clogged with sebum, then yes, you absolutely could start to experience some serious issues. Your hair follicles can suffocate, they can become infected, and/or you can indeed start losing your hair over time.

If you use a non-sulfate based or conditioner cleanser or shampoo with an alternate surfactant once a week and give yourself a really good, brisk scalp massage while cleansing—using your fingertips and rubbing your scalp with a firm, energetic circular motion—you are massaging the sebum, dirt and debris out of your hair follicles while stimulating your sebaceous glands to maintain their proper function. The cleanser acts as an agent to carry that oil and debris away without damaging and drying out your hair shaft. That's the real purpose of a cleanser, not this sulfate-based shampoo nonsense that strips your hair of the moisture and essential oils that keep it healthy.

If, however, you use a non-sulfate or conditioner cleanser or shampoo with an alternate surfactant once a week and you squirt a bit on your scalp and kind of halfheartedly move it around, then rinse without really doing any kind of work, you aren't cleansing your scalp correctly and you may, in fact, start having problems. But it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that you are not using shampoo. I've seen clients who use regular shampoo and their scalp is full of dry flakes and scales because they don't cleanse their scalp properly.

I personally believe much of the “you MUST use shampoo” screaming is an effort to drive more product sales within the beauty industry. Quite frankly, however, if you are doing a weekly non-sulfate cleansing with some serious scalp massage and really focusing on getting your scalp clean, you are doing all the right things and you should never have any issues with clogged or damaged hair follicles (at least not because of your cleansing routine).

The Conditioning

Moisture, moisture, moisture! It's all about the MOISTURE level of your hair, my friends. Hair that's been well-moisturized with products appropriate for curly hair and that has good porosity is what leads to healthy, well-defined curls. MOISTURE is what defines and shapes our curls, not product. MOISTURE is what chases frizz away. Curly hair already tends to be dry naturally. Figure in the drying, dehydrating and generally curl-unfriendly products we routinely use and it's no wonder most of us are a dry, frizzy mess.

The biggest offender other than sulfates? Silicones, specifically non-water soluble silicones. If sulfates are Public Enemy #1, non-water soluble silicones occupy second place on the FBI (Frizz Buster Identification) Most Wanted list.

Why Some Silicones are Not Our Friends

Many conditioners and styling products on the market, both professional and drugstore brands, contain non-water soluble silicones, which lie on top of the hair, creating an impenetrable barrier into the hair shaft. They look like a quick fix for frizz since they temporarily smooth the hair shaft down and make frizz seem to disappear—but they also suck out the moisture from inside the hair, dehydrating curly locks and creating more frizz in the long run. Since they can't be rinsed away with water, they also build up on the hair shaft and generally require a surfactant (detergent)-based shampoo to remove. Yet another vicious cycle in the minefield of curly hair health.

You absolutely, positively must use a conditioner that's either silicone-free or has acceptable, water-soluble silicones in it to condition your hair. Your hair will not form beautiful curls without frizz unless it is well-moisturized—no ifs, ands or buts―and the conditioning step of a good curly hair care maintenance routine is the most effective place to get adequate moisture into your curls.

To effectively apply the conditioner to your hair: rake it liberally all through your hair with your fingers, scrunching it into the length, and let it sit for a few minutes so your hair can absorb what it needs. Rinse out any excess with cool water. Cool water, like acid-based products, will shut your cuticle down and help keep all that healthy product inside your hair shaft where it belongs.

Pump Up the Moisture

Adding some conditioner back into your hair as a leave-in will help to pump up the moisture in your hair even further.
    2ywisjp.jpg
    Healthy Hair = Good Hair
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.livecurlylivefree.com%2Fproduct%2520ingredients.htm" class="Popup

Product Ingredients
    So, how do you actually identify sulfates and non-water soluble silicones on product labels? The list of formal ingredient names below will help you to stay on track and avoid purchasing products that are not suitable for optimal curly hair health.
    Please note that professional salon products especially formulated for curly hair will always give the best results; however, drugstore products containing no sulfates or non-water soluble silicones are always preferable to any product brand containing those ingredients.
    My clients will tell you I am not in the least bit concerned about what "brand" you use. I care more that you commit to following the no-sulfate, no non-water soluble silicones guidelines than I do about what brand you buy, so always feel free to experiment and use the products that are best for you and your particular curls. I still experiment with different products myself, as I suspect almost every girl with curls will do for the rest of her life!

Sulfates
    A surfactant—sometimes referred to as a detergent—is a substance that, when dissolved in water, gives a product the ability to remove dirt from surfaces such as the human skin, textiles, and other solids. There are several different types of surfactants, ranging from harsh to mild, with sulfates belonging to the class that is the most harsh.

Common sulfates as found on hair product ingredient bottles include:

[*] Alkylbenzene Sulfonate
    [*] Ammonium Laureth or Lauryl Sulfate
    [*] Ammonium or Sodium Xylenesulfonate
    [*] Dioctyl Sodium Sulfosuccinate
    [*] Ethyl PEG-15 Cocamine Sulfate
    [*] Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate
    [*] Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate
    [*] Sodium Laureth, Myreth, or Lauryl Sulfate
    [*] Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate
    [*] TEA-Dodecylbenzenesulfonate
    Some milder surfactants—less drying and recommended in lieu of sulfates—include:

[*] Cocamidopropyl Betaine
    [*] Coco Betaine
    [*] Cocoamphoacetate
    [*] Cocoamphodipropionate
    [*] Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate or Cocoamphodipropionate
    [*] Lauroamphoacetate
    [*] Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate
    Silicones
    Silicones generally end in -cone, -conol, -col, or -xane and are found in many hair products. If any silicone name has the abbreviation "PEG" or "PPG" in front of it, however, it is water-soluble and will not build up.

Silicones that are not soluble in water, will consistently build up on the hair and will require a surfactant-based shampoo to remove include:

[*] Cetearyl Methicone
    [*] Cetyl Dimethicone
    [*] Dimethicone
    [*] Dimethiconol
    [*] Stearyl Dimethicone
    Silicones that are not soluble in water, but whose chemical properties allow it to repel further deposit, helping to prevent buildup (although they will still lock moisture out of the hair and require a surfactant to remove):

[*] Amodimethicone
    [*] Cyclomethicone/Cyclopentasiloxane
    [*] Trimethylsilylamodimethicone
    A note about amodimethicone: if you do an Internet search on amodimethicone, you will find quite a few sites that list amodimethicone as a silicone that is "slightly" soluble in water as long as two additional ingredients are included in the formulation:
    Amodimethicone (and) Trideceth-12 (and) Cetrimonium Chloride (as a mixture in the bottle)
    The assumption has always been that the inclusion of Trideceth-12 (a nonionic surfactant) and cetrimonium chloride (a cationic surfactant) render the amodimethicone, non-water soluble on its own, slightly soluble in water and it could be considered okay to use. Turns out that has been a completely incorrect assumption. What the Trideceth-12 and cetrimonium chloride do is render the amodimethicone dispersible in water. Once the amodimethicone is deposited onto the hair shaft and dries to a film, however, it is not water-soluble, will prevent moisture from getting into the hair shaft and will require a surfactant to remove.
    Silicones that are slightly soluble in water, but can possibly build up on some types of curly hair over time, include:

[*] Behenoxy Dimethicone
    [*] Stearoxy Dimethicone
    Silicones that are soluble in water and can generally be considered safe to use (in addition to those listed with "PEG" or "PPG" in front of them) include:

[*] Dimethicone Copolyol
    [*] Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane
    [*] Lauryl Methicone Copolyol
    Proteins
    An additional note about proteins: some curly hair types, especially those with a coarse hair texture, are also sensitive to proteins, which can cause some curly hair to become dry and brittle. They are best avoided if any adverse effects are noted.

Common protein ingredients include:

[*] Collagen
    [*] Hydrolyzed Collagen Protein
    [*] Hydrolyzed Silk Protein
    [*] Hydrolyzed Soy Protein
    [*] Hydrolyzed WheatProtein
    [*] Keratin
    [*] Keratin Amino Acids
    [*] Silk Amino Acids

[*] Silk Protein
    [*] Soy Protein
    [*] Wheat Amino Acids
    [*] Wheat Protein
    2ywisjp.jpg
    Healthy Hair = Good Hair
  • Kat718Kat718 Posts: 73Registered Users
    I think the cones are the culprit. I use to use Giovanni Leave-in but discovered it was drying when I compared the results with Shea Moisture conditioner which contains no cones. The Shea Moisture Restorative Conditoner has argan oil as the third ingredient and other oils. When you wash the conditioner out, you feel the oils on your hair. All Shea Moisture products are 9.99.
  • mzmillionmzmillion Posts: 874Registered Users
    Here is a suggestion from me for cheap to change you products and still use cones in the right way if that is what you want.

$20 budget

3.99 Herbal Essence Hello Hydration conditioner
    3.99 HE Long Term Relationship Leave in conditioner
    0.99 VO5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying Shampoo
    4.99 Aloe Vera Butter from Summit Craft
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.summitcraftoh.com" class="Popup
    (the rest for shipping)

Start with clarifying, then use the HE for cowash and deep conditioner. The HE leave in is like silk on your hair, it probably my favority leave in I've ever tried. The aloe vera butter is great because its light, if you aren't used to using butters and I love the way it moisturizes. Now if you want something a little heavier, there Avocado butter is like cream, its great too. You can check my youtube for my reviews on them(they come in containers now).
    the HE line uses bis aminopropyl dimethicone which is a type of amodimethicone and the reason that these are better than other silicones if you are going to use them is because:
    Amodimethicone and other similarly modified silicone polymers are considered to be among the best high-performance conditioning polymers currently available to the hair-care product formulator. They provide many unique benefits, including the following:
    • Provide deep conditioning
    • Provide targeted conditioning to areas of particularly damaged hair
    • Protect from thermal damage
    • Increase color retention
    • Resist build up
    • Impart gloss and shine
    The thing is they won't allow anything else to build on top of them and the retain the moisture you put in your hair when washing after clarifying and they don't dry out your hair(well in my experience). HE is a great product line IMO that is not expensive. Give it a try.
    4a/b hair that fro's more than curls!
    Co-Wash: Tressemme', HE, Avon
    Leave In: SM Shea Butter Conditioner. SMCH Smoothie
    Deep Treat: Avon AT Masks, Henna, Amla, Avanti
    Stylers: Aloe Vera Butter, Eco Styler on dry hair, SM products
    My Fotki - 1/22
    My Twitter
    My Youtube

Iv used He and i really dont like it, im trying to stay away from cones.. can you recommend some cheap products w/o cones like shampoo,conditioner,leavin, and a moisturizer?

also could you use suave clarifying shampoo's as well?
    You can use many of these conditioners as leave-ins.
    V05 Free Me Freesia conditioner
    V05 Extra Body conditioner
    V05 Kiwi and Lime Squeeze conditioner
    V05 Moisture Milks Strawberries and Cream conditioner
    V05 Peaches & Cream
    V05 Strawberries and Cream
    V05 Sun Kissed Raspberry conditioner
    Suave Naturals Conditioner, Juicy Green Apple
    Suave Naturals Conditioner, Tropical Coconut
    Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
    2ywisjp.jpg
    Healthy Hair = Good Hair
    I mean considering that you have been using a lot of cones, its funny that you all a sudden don't want to use any at all and not try to use one cone in the right way but to each there own.

Clarifying shampoo is clarifying shampoo, so yea suave daily clarifying will be fine if thats what u want.

Cone-free products are more expensive. So you can try the giovanni line at walmart, the direct or 50:50 one. Also at your local Walgreens or CVS, or drugstore, you should be able to find Nature's Gate or the Yes To Carrots(or Cucumbers) line and I believe both of those are cone free.
    My Fotki - 1/22
    My Twitter
    My Youtube

mzmillion wrote: »
    I mean considering that you have been using a lot of cones, its funny that you all a sudden don't want to use any at all and not try to use one cone in the right way but to each there own.

Clarifying shampoo is clarifying shampoo, so yea suave daily clarifying will be fine if thats what u want.

Cone-free products are more expensive. So you can try the giovanni line at walmart, the direct or 50:50 one. Also at your local Walgreens or CVS, or drugstore, you should be able to find Nature's Gate or the Yes To Carrots(or Cucumbers) line and I believe both of those are cone free.

Thats cause i thaught cones were bad? right? ugh im confused. :(
  • Jamtastic Voyage!Jamtastic Voyage! Posts: 230Registered Users
    mzmillion wrote: »

Thats cause i thaught cones were bad? right? ugh im confused. :(
    Well, generally, silicones = death to curls. A lot of people noticed an improvement in their hair's health after ridding their hair of silicones.

However, others use silicones and have no problems with them at all. Others still eliminate cones and their hair doesn't improve, or gets worse. Everyone's hair is different.

You can try going CG for a little while with inexpensive products suggested and look for any differences in your hair. If you think it's a waste of time, and your hair was perfectly happy with silicones, go ahead and use them! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

But if you're going to try going CG, you'll have to use a sulfate shampoo one last time to rid your hair of any silicone buildup, then use cone-free conditioners and maybe even stick to co-washing. Then after a while, see how your hair reacts.

Being CG doesn't HAVE to be expensive. There are plenty of inexpensive cone-free conditioners in drug stores that many curlies here use.
    4a, fine-coarse, normal-high porosity, thick and dense sponge cake!
    currently texlaxed!
    APL stretched, ear length curly.
    Hair <3s: butters, glycerin, honey, coconut, aloe, olive oil
    Hair </3s: other oils, protein, 'cones, sulfates
    Cleanse: Bentonite Clay
    Condition: Shea Moisture Restorative, KUI Hydrating Hemp
    Leave-In: KCKT+castor oil, KUI Coconut Cream
    Style: Curl pudding (eco styler blue gel+shea butter+castor oil+conditioner)
    That is true Jam, and while I did go CG for about 8 months, it seemed so much harder to find CG friendly and then once I started using one cone and seeing how my hair reacted, I was good to go.

Another place that I've found thats has a lot of conditioners that are cone-free is Dollar Tree, and they have good slip for detangling. Check out the Salon Professionals conditioners at the dollar store, and the Vital line there too if you have a dollar tree, they both are cone-free, or some of the conditioners are.

Silicones aren't the best things to use but some can handle them in moderation with great results, like me. I can use the HE conditioners as my staple. My hair has never reacted better. Give CG a shot, it can't hurt and then if that doesn't work for you, you can try to revisit cones.... its all about learning your hair.
    My Fotki - 1/22
    My Twitter
    My Youtube