Millionaire Matchmaker Responds

MichelleMichelle AdministratorPosts: 742Administrators, Moderators Administrator
From Patti Stanger's FB page: Ok, naturally curly bunch. I like stylish curly/wavy hair, but my millionaire men don't. So, go buy a flat iron at www.beautychoice.com. xo
Michelle
co-founder
NaturallyCurly.com

Comments

• lindykatlindykat Posts: 90Registered Users
    *snort*

Then we don't want your millionaire men, do we? I guess BeautyChoice can keep their flat irons.
  • ReynaCRReynaCR Posts: 405Registered Users
    Now that's just sad :sad8:.

I read the article that was on the front page about her too.

But if people wanna stereotype and judge, and criticize, then let them.

The best 2 comments I saw under the front page article are these:

1. Auntie Bubbs Says:
      October 26th, 2010 at 6:49 pm
      She’s obviously insecure about her own looks, which are very masculine to begin with. Curls are very, very feminine. No wonder she bashes them at every turn.
    2. jesis Says:
      October 26th, 2010 at 7:09 pm
      Women need to be independent! If a man doesn’t like you how you are, he doesn’t deserve you.
      I live in a college town and every girl I see has straight, damaged hair. It pleases me when I see girls who have natural curls, I think they are stunning because they can stand up and say “This is who I am, not who society or men want me to be, and I’m proud of it!”
    and this third one:

1. followmesky Says:
      October 26th, 2010 at 8:56 pm
      you nailed it! Thanks Jesis!
      How funny would it be, if a guy were to go on the show and specifically want a wild curly hair woman!?
      I can assure you she would have to please her client. The tables have turned…
      If it ever happens..
    :queen: Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.
    1. marylord Says:
      October 28th, 2010 at 3:49 pm
      Why is everyone so upset about Stanger’s inflammatory views of curly hair? The show is about pitiful women putting themselves on display in hopes that a man will buy them. If straight hair sells then straighten it!
    This one had me in tears :toothy7:!!

• ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Big attitude.
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wel, not that I ever want a millionaire. And I don't care if ladies straighten their hair, or want to sell themselves, or whatever, it's not my world and they should be free to do what they want, it doesn't hurt me and if it makes 'em happy, they should go for it.

But two observations:

I don't think all the wives of millionaires are straight haired, that strikes me as highly unlikely. It's a pretty big group, isn't it?

And

A curly haired woman who straightens her hair is still a curly haired woman, just one who has straightened her hair or is wearing it styled straight. It still grows in curly.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    1. marylord Says:
      Why is everyone so upset about Stanger’s inflammatory views of curly hair? The show is about pitiful women putting themselves on display in hopes that a man will buy them. If straight hair sells then straighten it!
    I love this! I've never watched this show (nor do I ever intend to), but... now I know!
    If I ever become desperate for a millionaire, I'm going to straighten my hair and place myself in a big pink box in hopes I can be "purchased"... like Barbie! :laughing1:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wel, not that I ever want a millionaire. And I don't care if ladies straighten their hair, or want to sell themselves, or whatever, it's not my world and they should be free to do what they want, it doesn't hurt me and if it makes 'em happy, they should go for it.

But two observations:

I don't think all the wives of millionaires are straight haired, that strikes me as highly unlikely. It's a pretty big group, isn't it?

And

A curly haired woman who straightens her hair is still a curly haired woman, just one who has straightened her hair or is wearing it styled straight. It still grows in curly.

I so agree with the bolded. I've seen many wives of millionaires, athletes, movie stars, CEOs, etc. with very wavy and super curly hair. I've also seen women seeking millionaires with mostly straight hair that they've waved to add body -- think Marla Maples before she married Donald Trump. I don't think most men worry about hair. As long as it is healthy looking, soft to the touch and the woman seems confident about it, then men don't care.

I do believe that certain hair types meet with more scrutiny -- think someone with naturally 4b hair or a 3b/c curly in a Stepford wives environment. However, if the woman genuinely loves her hair and it suits her, then so will the men interested in her.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • BugEyeZBugEyeZ Posts: 314Registered Users Curl Novice
    Michelle wrote: »
    From Patti Stanger's FB page: Ok, naturally curly bunch. I like stylish curly/wavy hair, but my millionaire men don't. So, go buy a flat iron at www.beautychoice.com. xo

sounds like she's running a whorehouse. ggg:glasses10:
    when all else fails...eat:icescream:
  • crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    BugEyeZ wrote: »

She probably gets a nickle every time someone clicks that Beautychoice link.
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    I've been following this with what is probably too much interest, and a few things occur to me.

1. I wonder what she means by 'stylish'. I suspect it means artificially created curls and waves, but the word may just be meant to exclude the sort of curls typical of 'big hair' of the 80s.

2. Why are people more worried about her 'rules' about hair than those about male-female relations? Curly hair's great and all, but I would have thought the kind of adjustments she asks for on the level of gender relations would have the kind of empowered, self-assured women I see on here utterly spitting with anger. Yet the majority of the things I've read are more to do with hair than the antique gender roles she espouses. Yes, the hair thing is a metonym for what's going on here on a social level, but it worries me that the gender issues aren't brought up more.

3. Why must curl empowerment come at the cost of personal abuse? It's one thing to disagree; it's a whole other thing to attack this woman personally. I've seen it many times on here and on the Facebook thread and I just keep shaking my head at it. I like the idea of an open debate (though I somehow doubt she'd be open to it), but all the name calling and personal attacks just make us look angry and vengeful.
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
    KurleeEdna wrote: »
    1. marylord Says:
    I love this! I've never watched this show (nor do I ever intend to), but... now I know!
    If I ever become desperate for a millionaire, I'm going to straighten my hair and place myself in a big pink box in hopes I can be "purchased"... like Barbie! :laughing1:
    crwritt wrote: »
    BugEyeZ wrote: »

She probably gets a nickle every time someone clicks that Beautychoice link.

You ladies are horrible :laughing9::laughing8:, lol!

• RacerWife7RacerWife7 Posts: 895Registered Users Curl Novice
    I've been watching/reading all this stuff and the question that keeps coming to MY mind is this:

WHY is it that the women are the ones who have to change???

WHY can't these supposed millionaires change their freaking warped ideals and realize that REAL women have curls, straight hair, long hair, and short hair?????

We're smart. We're curvy. We're thin, short, tall, or heavy. What does it matter? If these men are looking for arm candy that they're planning on ditching as soon as they lose their Barbie-looks, it seems they're looking in the right direction. She's pushing carbon-copy women on idiotic men who don't have a clue what's REAL in life.

Ppppbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbttttttttttt. :tongue3: Thanks. But, I'll stick to my gorgeous, non-millionaire hubby who loves me whether I have curls or straight, weigh 125 or 285, or have warts on the end of my nose.

Us real women know we have flaws. But, curly hair certainly ISN'T one of them. ;)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Well, she must not read the magazines...wavy/wurly/curly is IN right now.

Oh, and my man likes my hair wurly. :laughing8:
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SaroyanSaroyan Posts: 398Registered Users
    I've been following this with what is probably too much interest, and a few things occur to me.

1. I wonder what she means by 'stylish'. I suspect it means artificially created curls and waves, but the word may just be meant to exclude the sort of curls typical of 'big hair' of the 80s.

2. Why are people more worried about her 'rules' about hair than those about male-female relations? Curly hair's great and all, but I would have thought the kind of adjustments she asks for on the level of gender relations would have the kind of empowered, self-assured women I see on here utterly spitting with anger. Yet the majority of the things I've read are more to do with hair than the antique gender roles she espouses. Yes, the hair thing is a metonym for what's going on here on a social level, but it worries me that the gender issues aren't brought up more.

3. Why must curl empowerment come at the cost of personal abuse? It's one thing to disagree; it's a whole other thing to attack this woman personally. I've seen it many times on here and on the Facebook thread and I just keep shaking my head at it. I like the idea of an open debate (though I somehow doubt she'd be open to it), but all the name calling and personal attacks just make us look angry and vengeful.

Very good post. I agree with all of this.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You know. I do not wish to be disrespectful to Patti, but as much as we may be annoyed, we simply cannot change her thought, mindset or theory. Trying to convince her to see a different way is really like trying to convince a upset toddler to take their fixation off of candy or a toy in Target once they have dug in (or thrown down) and have decided that it shall be theirs.

She may be a very nice woman, but she is clearly an egomanic (an obsessive preoccupation with one's self and applies to someone who follows their own ungoverned impulses and is possessed by delusions of personal greatness and feels a lack of appreciation) and is quite narcissistic (inordinate fascination with oneself; excessive self-love; vanity).

As a result, we will not convince her from her stand and frankly, we create more joy for her by the attention we are giving her and her comment. That actually gives away and minimizes our power.

I choose, instead, as a new wavy, to feel proud of my hair and I am learning the fierceness that apparently comes with the curly (this I am learning from beautiful women here)!! THIS is a better use of my energy. Rather than changing how she, or others, see me, I am just being a strong me and frankly, that is more attractive than whether my hair is straight or curly!!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • MountaincurlMountaincurl Posts: 571Registered Users
    She has bigger things to worry about, like her face.
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
  • sweetpeacurlisweetpeacurli Posts: 343Registered Users

Hear, hear. Tremendously well put.
    Sulfate and Silicone-free since 2005
    CO-wash convert since October 2010
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Twitter: @sweetpeacurli

Currently loving:
    • Vo5 tea therapy conditioners
    • Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner
    • Giovanni Direct leave-in
    • Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
    I am now completely out of the closet as the craziest of crazy cat ladies. I own it. I embrace it. I am one with the crazy.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    As I posted on the non-hair board I feel this site is being hypocritical when it accepts advertising $ from companies that pushing the straight is beautiful kool-aid.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    Laylz wrote: »
    She has bigger things to worry about, like her face.
    I don't care how she feels about my curls. She's not worth my time... however, I do find her lips very distracting.
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    KurleeEdna wrote: »
    ...If I ever become desperate for a millionaire, I'm going to straighten my hair and place myself in a big pink box in hopes I can be "purchased"... like Barbie! :laughing1:

Oh, please! No one likes that crack ho anyway... Why do you think you have to buy her friends???
  • snowgirlsnowgirl Posts: 23Registered Users
    Fake ****, fake nails, fake long straight hair=American beauty

Hate to say it girls, but that is what they say in Europe.

Who do you have to blame??
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    snowgirl wrote: »
    Fake ****, fake nails, fake long straight hair=American beauty

Hate to say it girls, but that is what they say in Europe.

Who do you have to blame??

Hate to sound mean, but that sounds like Patti, and the look she's pushing on her show.
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
  • SpeirsArtSpeirsArt Posts: 43Registered Users
    meh, what she says about curls doesn't bother me.

obviously she is just shooting fish in a barrel trying to help un-loveable people. Its a lot easier to flat iron hair than to overhaul a personality...
    hers included.
    feel free to check out my artwork
    www.rachaelspeirs.com

Medium on top, coarse underneath, med-high porosity
    was 2B on top 3A and 3B underneath
    but since growing out and going CG I am now a combo of 3A and 3B with 3C underneath
    CG
    Love: coconut oil, lavender EO, GFTN
    Growing out since 2008, down past collarbone but I want it past my bra strap...I long for a giant head of long soft curls:sunny:
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    At the risk of quoting myself about this in-DUH-vidual...

Who in their right mind takes hair style or hair care advice from someone that looks like they stole a $5 Elvira wig from the Halloween clearance rack?
  • SpaghettiHeadSpaghettiHead Posts: 1,510Registered Users
    :laughing8::laughing8::laughing8:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm actually beginning to feel bad for her. Yes I know she makes lots of money making others feel bad about themselves, but I suspect that she must have low self-esteem. Based on her hatred of curly hair -- and yes I think she hates it, not the guys on the show -- and her beauty ideal being something that she is nowhere near - "molding" these women and dealing with socially inept millionaire men must give her something to feel good about or is a coping mechanism.

I honestly don't care that she hates curly hair. Not everyone likes everything, although hatred is different. Many of us have preferences in mates that some might construe to be close-minded, classist or racist, but you can't help who you like or don't like; some of this is beyond our control.

Patti seems lost and to be filled with self loathing. She is always looking for the generic stereotype of what is attractive, and the irony is that she is the complete opposite of the stereotype. I'm not saying that to be mean. Some people are beautiful, and some are physically unattractive. Patti is unattractive and her personality only enhances this.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • CurlyCowgirlyCurlyCowgirly Posts: 299Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Instead of satisfying the millionaire's egos, Patti should open them up to a broad spectrum of women. The men on her show may desire a straight-haired lady, then come to find that the woman of their dreams is a curly girl. Love has no boundaries, and to create a boundary based off of hair-type is shallow and close-minded. If Patti's male clients are going to be that picky about physical attributes just because they're big ole' millionaires who are use to getting everything they want, then they'll probably never be happy with how the women they date look. (Especially when their broad gets old and saggy and her hair falls out from all that straightening she did back in the day.) :laughing1:
    Low/Med porosity, very fine, low/med elasticity & density, 3A
    AKA hard to work with hair!

Low-Poo: Kenra Volumizing shampoo, AG Fast Food shampoo
    CO: AG Ultramoist, AO GPB, Nature's Gate Aloe Vera
    Gel: GFCC mousse, HETT, Aquage Megagel
    Also: Aloe Vera juice or Alba Leave-in. Weekly ACV rinse.
    Wishlist: YTC low-poo, Elucence poo, Bioterra Curl Creme, AGEbeautiful Strengthening trtment, SS Repairing Protein Trtment, LuxyHair ext's
  • RacerWife7RacerWife7 Posts: 895Registered Users Curl Novice
    Instead of satisfying the millionaire's egos, Patti should open them up to a broad spectrum of women. The men on her show may desire a straight-haired lady, then come to find that the woman of their dreams is a curly girl. Love has no boundaries, and to create a boundary based off of hair-type is shallow and close-minded. If Patti's male clients are going to be that picky about physical attributes just because they're big ole' millionaires who are use to getting everything they want, then they'll probably never be happy with how the women they date look. (Especially when their broad gets old and saggy and her hair falls out from all that straightening she did back in the day.) :laughing1:

I agree with all of this!!! Well said. ;)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • CurlyCowgirlyCurlyCowgirly Posts: 299Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    RacerWife7 wrote: »

I agree with all of this!!! Well said. ;)

Thanks!! :)
    Low/Med porosity, very fine, low/med elasticity & density, 3A
    AKA hard to work with hair!

Low-Poo: Kenra Volumizing shampoo, AG Fast Food shampoo
    CO: AG Ultramoist, AO GPB, Nature's Gate Aloe Vera
    Gel: GFCC mousse, HETT, Aquage Megagel
    Also: Aloe Vera juice or Alba Leave-in. Weekly ACV rinse.
    Wishlist: YTC low-poo, Elucence poo, Bioterra Curl Creme, AGEbeautiful Strengthening trtment, SS Repairing Protein Trtment, LuxyHair ext's

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file