Moisture v. Slip - Finding the perfect conditioner

alainaelizabethalainaelizabeth Posts: 42Registered Users
I'm not sure about you, my other 4a curlies, but I have a very hard time finding a conditioner (both rinsing and deep conditioning) that provides both slip AND moisture/hydration. The things everyone raves about - Trader Joe's Nourish Spa, Hello Hydration, etc. don't work for my hair at all. My hair is such an odd mix of 3c/4a/afro-texture that nothing can detangle ALL of its parts.

The only thing that is pretty good at helping me to detangle is Pantene Pro-V Breakage Defense conditioner. However, while it doesn't dry out my hair, it doesn't provide great and lasting moisture and softness.

Do you all have any suggestions? Do you just use a detangler and then something separate that provides moisture? Please advise this newbie!

Thank you :)

Comments

• OnyxK.OnyxK. Posts: 157Registered Users
    i personally use separate products.
    -rinsing/detangling conditioner
    -leave in conditioner/styler

but today i'm gonna try to get my protein condish to detangle by adding olive oil. i hate detangling!

don't know if it'll work *crossing fingers*
    4a/b-whatever! with a twa
    hair properties: fine,porous,dense
    :blob7: SheaMoisture Coconut hibiscus Line:blob7:
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not sure about you, my other 4a curlies, but I have a very hard time finding a conditioner (both rinsing and deep conditioning) that provides both slip AND moisture/hydration. The things everyone raves about - Trader Joe's Nourish Spa, Hello Hydration, etc. don't work for my hair at all. My hair is such an odd mix of 3c/4a/afro-texture that nothing can detangle ALL of its parts.

The only thing that is pretty good at helping me to detangle is Pantene Pro-V Breakage Defense conditioner. However, while it doesn't dry out my hair, it doesn't provide great and lasting moisture and softness.

Do you all have any suggestions? Do you just use a detangler and then something separate that provides moisture? Please advise this newbie!

Thank you :)

i detangle w/ shea moisture raw shea butter conditioner. it's really thick so i keep the old empty bottle and pour half of the conditioner in it and dilute both w/ water. slip and moisture!

i also use the shea moisture [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Carols-Daughter-Hair-Milk-p-1032.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Carol's-Daughter-Hair-Milk]hair milk[/buylink] to detanlge a little more when i get out of the shower.
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I aslo have that trouble. Try adding your favorite oil and honey to your conditioner. That usually boosts up the slip/moisture factor for me.

For added moisture I use a leave-in conditioner in 2 parts - one for extra detangling ([buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink]) and another heavier one on my ends for sealing (Mozeke Whipped Avocado)
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • A_Klass_ActA_Klass_Act Posts: 56Registered Users
    I detangle one of two ways:

-- Under the water stream in the shower, but only after I've left the conditioner on my hair for at least 5-10 minutes.

-- AFTER I deep condition my hair. I mix condish, olive oil, honey and aloe vera juice, apply it to my hair and sit under a dryer for 30-45 minutes. The EVOO/honey/AVJ helps with moisture and letting the conditioner "marinate" on the hair helps to soften, thus helping to detangle better.
    Hair properties: Low porosity/fine strands Poo: CJDF, SM Moisture Retention RO Condish: Tresemme Naturals Deep Condish: JCWDT, CJHBDF LI: CJSL Moisturizer/Styler: Curls Souffle, KCCC Extras: Cassia, Bentonite & Rhassoul Clay, Shea butter mix, Cocoa butter mix, Castor oil
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    NikiD1908 wrote: »

-- Under the water stream in the shower, but only after I've left the conditioner on my hair for at least 5-10 minutes.

-- AFTER I deep condition my hair. I mix condish, olive oil, honey and aloe vera juice, apply it to my hair and sit under a dryer for 30-45 minutes. The EVOO/honey/AVJ helps with moisture and letting the conditioner "marinate" on the hair helps to soften, thus helping to detangle better.
    ^^^This works really, really well for me too.

The generic Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm is moisturizing and helps me detangle too.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    I, too, have combination 3C/4A/frizzy afro-textured curls, but I believe I found stuff that works for my whole head.

I use Renpure My Pretty Hair is Parched (the red bottle) for co-washing / detangling. I leave it in a few minutes as well and then detangle with a wide-toothed comb. I feel that my hair is not only detangled, but well-moisturized when I come out of the shower.

I then use Tresemme Naturals conditioner as a leave-in. I think it helps to keep the moisture in my hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
  • E.B.E.B. Posts: 158Registered Users
    NikiD1908 wrote: »

That's what I do.

For deep conditioning I like the Silk Elements Olive Treatment from Sally's. I sit under the dryer with that for 20-30 minutes, then I get in the shower to detangle.

Or I use Tresemme Anti-Breakage conditioner without heat. I leave than on for 5-10 min, then I get in the shower to detangle.

For a moisturizing leave-in I use whatever I have at the time - [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink], Suave Juicy Green Apple, and VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream are a few that I like.

I like Proclaim Natural 7 Oil for sealing the moisture in.
  • vain???janevain???jane Posts: 197Registered Users
    2 conditioners that give me both slip and lasting moisture are Suave Humectant, and HE Long-Term Relationship. ♥
    Last Relaxer: Feb 2009
    BC: Feb 2010

fy05ec.jpg

my fotki, updated 2.01.11 ♥
  • FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OnyxK. wrote: »
    i personally use separate products.
    -rinsing/detangling conditioner
    -leave in conditioner/styler

but today i'm gonna try to get my protein condish to detangle by adding olive oil. i hate detangling!

don't know if it'll work *crossing fingers*

I do the same thing. I use Nature's Gate Jojoba Conditioner to detangle and Yes To Carrots Conditioner as a leave-in.

• LiyahLiyah Posts: 118Registered Users
    I personally couldn't find a conditioner that gave me moisture and slip so have to use my own little 3 step process...

1. Shampoo, condition, put on a towel for a couple minutes and then detangle. I find that the longer my gets it does not like being combed super wet.

2. While damp I spray my whole head down with Jane Carters Replenish Leave-In Spray (water based).

3. Then section by section I apply a shea butter mix.

HTH

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file