Khamit Kinks!!!!!

NubianCoilsNubianCoils Posts: 2,149Registered Users
Is tha BIDNASSSSS!!! So I'm going to try to make this as short as I can:

So some of ya'll know tonight is my birthday party. Well wanted some fly twist extensions for the party. So I went to a salon (that I will TOTALLY tell you the name of in a PM so you don't make the same mistake I did). To get this done. Now I've never had no kind of twists or weaves in my hair before but I knew what I wanted: shoulder length twists that were layered. I wanted the fake hair to match my own hair so it needed to be kinky.

SO! Went to the salon and they sent me to Lugos to get the hair. They recommended the "jheri curl" hair but said it was up to me whether I got that or the afro kinky. Well the Afro kinky was considerabley more expensive per ounce and they told me I would need 8-9 oz. of hair. So of course I got the jheri curl.

So the day of the appointment all kinds of red flags went up in hind-sight but at the time I just dismissed it as me being paranoid. Some flags:
1. I told the stylist I was tender headed and she said "how can you be tender headed? You're natural" WTF does that even mean???

2. NO one else in the salon was natural. Everyone I saw come in got some form of straight hair weave.

3. I told her I used to have locks. Her response "I'd like to have locks but I just couldn't take not washing my hair". OMG. WTF have I gotten myself into.

Ignorant comments like this were flying all day. But some red flags as far as my hair is concerned that should have made me run are:

1. She wanted to straighten my hair cause "I can't braid it natural cause it's going to be hard to manage.

2. Surprise at the fact that my hair was soft and she could manipulate it.

3. I had to prep my own hair. All she knew to do was straighten it and I wasn't having that.

As she was putting the "twists" in I was like "this doesn't look right. It's looking stringy". She told me to wait. That's how it was supposed to look and when she finished she would spray it with water and the twists would puff up. Me not knowing any better, I shut my mouth. Well when she finished I looked like a cross between MJ in the 90's and a drowned rat! It was all stringy and greasy looking with my kinky hair very visible within the twists, adding to it looking a hot mess. So when I expressed dislike, that's when she started hacking at it. It was apparent the moment she started that she didn't know how to cut hair. She literally hacked the twists up. By the end I looked like a jungle woman. It wouldn't lay in any kind of style and she had hacked so much of it up I couldn't comfortably put it in a bun. To make this already long story short, I left mad as heyell.

So the next day, because I had already spent so much money I woke up and tried to make it work. But when I realized I couldn't leave the house. I just sat their and took the mess down. That's when I decided on a whim to call Khamit Kinks. They have really cool pictures on their website. The pics I had taken to the other stylist were from there, lol. So when I called I ended up spilling my guts to the receptionist about what I had been through. She listened to me and told me to come in the next day for a consultation and if they were able, they'd do my hair that day.

These people are on POINT! I filled out a questionnaire that told them everything they needed to know about my hair, then one of the managers (possibly the owner) took me in the office and we talked about what look I wanted and what would look best on me. Then they let me go get something to eat and they worked me in! They have hair already at the salon so I didn't have to go running all over town to get something. And they didn't do the twists I asked them for. THESE ARE BETTER!! I have like a twisted afro look that's layered and shoulder length. I look like a dang nappy headed GODDESS. I love these people! I really just wish I had gone there to begin with!

The staff is friendly and funny. The receptionist is warm and knowledgeable and professional. There are no divas there or ladies with attitudes. Everyone is great and you can tell they have a great relationship with their clients by the way everyone interacts. I was laughing and joking with the ladies doing my hair by the end of the day.

Shout out to KHAMIT KINKS for saving my hair for my birthday party and making me look so great! You guys are super awesome!!!!!!

Sorry this was so long guys.
Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:

Comments

• Booker Ts MamaBooker Ts Mama Posts: 670Registered Users
    Now, you know you gone have to post some pictures of your hair!! I like going to their web site and seeing pics of their work. If I didn't live so far away, I would love to go there and have them do my hair. I'm glad everything worked out in the end for you. And , :occasion4: to you!!!
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Curl Neophyte Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    YAY! I'm glad your hair ended up looking fly. :iconbiggrin:
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • NubianCoilsNubianCoils Posts: 2,149Registered Users
    Thanks! My camera is working again (still haven't bought a new one) and I'm going to try and download the pics from a CD. It looks FLY. And I can put it half up, half down, all up, etc. so I can create different looks for the office. It's like a big, shoulder length afro that's made of twists when I have it down. Super hot. Maybe I'll be able to get you guys pics by Sunday? Don't know if I'll be in any shape tomorrow, lol.

MARAH!!!! I'm so upset cause some people can't make it to my party cause of Shabbat. :sad5: I feel so bad that I didn't know. You got to help me get a Jewish Holidays calendar together so I don't do this again, lol.

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

• OnyxK.OnyxK. Posts: 157Registered Users
    glad you had a good experience in the end
    :occasion6::occasion4:
    4a/b-whatever! with a twa
    hair properties: fine,porous,dense
    :blob7: SheaMoisture Coconut hibiscus Line:blob7:
  • CerendipityCerendipity Curl Novice Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    khamit kinks is that BIDness ya heard!!!

I got a nappy weave last year that lasted 3 months and to the last day it was still fly!!

Im going again for Christmas this year!!

Im glad you look great so now i need some pics!!!

Happy birthday again!
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Curl Neophyte Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't wait for the pitchas!
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    I don't live too far from there. I'm so glad you had a good experience. I might consider going there to get braid extensions in the next month or two for the winter. How much did they charge?
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »
    I can't wait for the pitchas!
    PICHAS!!!!!!! *chant chant chant*
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,568Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am SO happy they fixed you up! I'm really sorry that woman didn't know what she was doing. But I'm glad everything turned out well and I can't wait for the "pitchas" :blob8:
    comic-p.jpg
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    khamit kinks is RIGHT across the street from my job too. i always walk by and peek in. are the prices insane?
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • QVCDivaQVCDiva Posts: 1,329Registered Users
    Hate what happened at the first place but glad that it was more than made up for and you got something you love. Hope you had a great day on your day.
    Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
    BC: 01/30/09
    Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
    http://public.fotki.com/QVCDiva/
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Curl Connoisseur Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm in upstate and have been thinking of going there for twists, no extensions though. Thanks for posting this. I've heard it's expensive, but at least it's worth it.

You know I'm pming you about that other salon. LOL

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
    Sorry ladies! I been MIA since my birthday party this past Friday, lol! They are NOT cheap, but dayum! You walk out looking like a dang model so it's very worth it. Every, single. time. I walk out my apartment, all eyes are on me since I got this done. I'm going to Duane Reade tomorrow to download the pics to a CD so I can post them so bare with me!

Oh and for what I got done it ended up being $519.00. That's including the hair. What I like is that you don't have to go all over the place looking for hair. They know what you want and have hair on site and just pick it out for you. I can't say enough good things about this place. I look fly as heyell right now, lol!

Oh! And MUCC don't give it another thought, gal. It's all good. I'm just happy I look fly now, lol!!! You live and you learn. :toothy7: HAPPY HALLOWEEEEEEN EVERYONE!!

Holy Grails:

HOLY SH*T Nubiancoils!!!!!!!!! That's a whole lotta cash. That's crazy. I know KK know what they are doing but DANG.

I'll stay with my free.99 twists that I do myself :D
    1. COILYNAPP - You on POINT with your siggie man! Love. It.

2. Yeah, they are not cheap, but I look fly as heyell, lol. I get compliments and stares every single day I walk out my apartment. I got it done on Oct. 28 and I have yet to walk out of my apartment and not get compliments and stares. It's totally worth it.

3. I am so not good at this camera thing. :confused1: I tried seriously for an hour to take pics of all the angles, especially the back. And I couldn't do hardly any of them right. I'm going to post the one pic that looks halfway decent tomorrow but the pic doesn't do the style justice at all. Sorry ladies. But if you go to Khamit's site I have the "nappy twists" but it's cut in the style of the "gypsy twists" picture. But my style is thicker and bigger than that picture cause my hair is so thick. It's shoulder length. Hopefully I'll have this pic up by tomorrow so you can see a little bit. :toothy7:

Holy Grails:

My SO and I are re-reading Malcom X. When I read this part it just spoke to me. I had to put it down.

I'm waiting waiting waiting for the pitcha!!!! I've browsed KK's website many times before and drooled over the twist styles. Then I saw the prices and I was like....uuuhhhh maybe for my wedding? (if that). Plus I'm on the west coast, I'd have to fly in to get it done :sad3:
    coilynapp wrote: »

My SO and I are re-reading Malcom X. When I read this part it just spoke to me. I had to put it down.

I'm waiting waiting waiting for the pitcha!!!! I've browsed KK's website many times before and drooled over the twist styles. Then I saw the prices and I was like....uuuhhhh maybe for my wedding? (if that). Plus I'm on the west coast, I'd have to fly in to get it done :sad3:
    I think the styles look so pretty...but I think they would look stupid on me...I know that doesn't make sense... :( I absolutely LOVE the braided mohawk though...for NYE I wonder if my stylist could do that.

Nubian, that style you described is exactly how I was picturing your hair in my head...I'm sure it's full and beautiful! PITCHAS
    YouTube
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Curl Connoisseur Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Happy Belated Birthday!!! And where's the picture? I know u look HELLA fly!
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    Sorry ladies! I been MIA since my birthday party this past Friday, lol! They are NOT cheap, but dayum! You walk out looking like a dang model so it's very worth it. Every, single. time. I walk out my apartment, all eyes are on me since I got this done. I'm going to Duane Reade tomorrow to download the pics to a CD so I can post them so bare with me!

Oh and for what I got done it ended up being $519.00. That's including the hair. What I like is that you don't have to go all over the place looking for hair. They know what you want and have hair on site and just pick it out for you. I can't say enough good things about this place. I look fly as heyell right now, lol!

Oh! And MUCC don't give it another thought, gal. It's all good. I'm just happy I look fly now, lol!!! You live and you learn. :toothy7: HAPPY HALLOWEEEEEEN EVERYONE!!

Oooh, that's steep. But as my great-aunt used to say, sometimes, if you buy cheap, you get cheap. I'm even more determined to go over there by Christmas now since you're so happy with them.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file