Considering henna to blend grays- need advice

ovidgsdovidgsd Registered Users Posts: 7
Hi everyone,

I've been to the henna for hair site and read alot of good info, but I'm hoping to get some hands on advice as well.

Here's my situation. Shoulder length, dark brown hair, 3a curl. My hair used to have auburn and golden highlights, but over the past few years those have disappeared to be replaced with about 10% wirey gray mostly peppered.

The only color I've used on my hair over the years is a wash in/ wash out deposit color (Loving Care). My grays haven't bothered me up until late, but the grays in combo with losing all my natural highlights is just making me look BLAH.

So I'm considering henna or hendigo. I would like to add red highlights to my hair without making my hair overall darker. I would like the gray to blend to a soft reddish brown or dark copper highlights. I was thinking of using henna with amla or 50/50 henna and indigo with amla. My concern is that using henna alone may make my grays too bright red/copper. My other concern is that the 50/50 henna indigo will give me a better gray blend, but make my hair overall darker than it is now.

My initial thought is use just the henna/amla first, since this will give me a lighter result and I could always go a bit darker if need be in the future. I'm planning on strand testing, but thought I'd get some of your thoughts....

Thanks for reading thru this long post and sharing your experiences.

Shelli

Comments

• Ape94Ape94 Registered Users Posts: 5
    If your greys are pretty evenly spread out through your hair, I don't know that it would be too noticeable even if they are a different color than the rest of your hair. I have plenty of single strands of grey throughout my hair and once i color them with henna, they blend right in. That's one of the nice things about henna - it is translucent so your hair won't come out all one identical color and any natural variations of color in your hair will be maintained.

My natural hair color is dark brown as well and I have never mixed my henna with amla, just used it straight. I haven't noticed my grey's being too red or copper and the overall color hasn't really changed all that much either, it's just more vibrant and has a slight red tint to it (unless i am outside in bright sunlight - then the red is much more noticeable)

But, my recommendation would be to order some samples, do some strand tests and let them fully oxidize before making a decision (the color will darken over time). It takes my hair about a week in a half to settle into it's final color after a henna treatment, but it's probably different for everybody. Unfortunately it might mean you have to wait a bit longer to do the color, but it's hard to know on the first time just how your color will look with henna, indigo, etc, so it's better to make sure you like it before committing to it.
  • ovidgsdovidgsd Registered Users Posts: 7
    Thanks for the feedback. Have you ever used indigo with the henna?

I'll be ordering some samples this week to do some strand tests.

Thanks again.
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    I do use henna to blend gray in dark brown hair; this works very well. The first day I look like a tiger with orange stripes but it oxidizes to red enough to blend in with the rest of the hair. I don't mix it with anything except conditioner - daughter uses straight henna/lemon/water in her light brown hair for a dramatic cherry red, then I mix conditioner in that and put it in my hair to cover the gray. The dark brown hair looks deep red in the sun and brown indoors.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • waterlilieswaterlilies Registered Users Posts: 9
    If you're concerned with your grays being too red, I would add some indigo. I just did my second hendigo last week and I've been really pleased with the results. I didn't do 50/50 as I was concerned that it would be too much indigo and make my hair too dark but I've got enough gray that henna alone wouldn't do the job. I used about 5 tbs of indigo to 100 grams of henna. I add cranberry apple zinger tea to the henna instead of lemon juice as I've got a very sensitive scalp. I added amla as I was concerned my waves would relax. I also added a couple of squirts of conditioner at the end. My results were a beautiful reddish brown color that I really love.
    2a/b, fine, low porosity, needs very little protein

Co-wash: Nature's Gates Tea Tree Conditioner, GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave In: Nature's Gate Tree Conditioner
    Stylers: CURLS by Target, BRHG
    Waterlilies,

That sounds like a good ratio... about 2:1 henna to indigo. Do you find that the amla affects the overall color? I've read that amla may make the brown "cooler" , so I'm guessing not as warm red.
    I was a little afraid of that happening as I'm pretty warm toned, but I think it's still warm enough for my skin tone. I used 1/4 c of the amla.

I included some pics as it'll give you a better idea of how cool the red is and how well the grays blended in. The pics are in different lighting so you'll have get a better idea of how it looks.

I'm not good about keeping up the color, only do it every few months, and the indigo washes out eventually while the henna lasts forever, so I didn't really see the point, the hair ended up the same color over time anyway.

There are pictures of henna-over-gray on the hennaforhair site if you want to see more.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)

Shoulder-Length now.

Henna!
    Waterlilies & Robin,

Thanks for sharing the photos. How often do you find you need to re-color? Do you just touch up the roots?

You also mentioned that the indigo fades...how soon do you notice that happening? I'm guessing your hair takes on an overall redder shine as the indigo starts to fade?

Does the henna fade at all over time or will I notice a distinct contrast with new hair growth?

Since I've never "permanently" colored my hair before, I'm gaining strength slowly with all this information. Thanks again.
  • NarlyNarly Registered Users Posts: 23
    I would think long and hard before using hendigo, and make sure it's what you want, because it is permanent, as in you can't even really colour over it. I experimented with all sorts of combinations, trying to get the perfect red I wanted (auburn -- I already had a light brown with red highlights but wanted something more natural for my greys). I used hendigo with amla. It is very messy and if you have a lot of grey roots, you will have to do it every 3-4 weeks. My hair turned burgundy and way too dark for my liking, but without the indigo, the roots were orange. I hate burgundy hair (on me). That was over a year ago.
    I don't remember how long the indigo lasted, just that it ended up the same color after awhile. The tiger orange roots don't worry me anymore, it always oxidizes to a nice red in a couple of days, I use the $$ henna from the hennaforhair people and very highly recommend it.

Henna doesn't fade, ever, as far as I can tell. It is WONDERFUL to me because it's the only red that lasts. I don't do roots often enough, and do end up with gray roots showing but sure that would happen no matter what I used, and at least I don't have to worry about the ends fading, or whether I color over the whole length again or not, the henna only adds color and not much once the length is "saturated" with color, so we can color over the whole hair whenever we want to get the thickening/smoothing effect, without worrying about the ends getting darker than the roots.

I do get compliments on the color, it's not noticeable on my (dark) hair, but the slight red must look good not bad. Henna is definitely a warm orangey red but it does end up looking burgundy-ish on dark hair somehow.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)

Shoulder-Length now.

Henna!
    I do my roots every 4-6 weeks so I haven't noticed the indigo fading. I've had pretty consistent depth of color. As far as mess is concerned, I think henna application is less messy for me than when I colored my hair out of a box. I just use a small silicone spatula to apply the henna and it's pretty effortless. I also recommend the hennaforhair products. I used a local vendor for my first application and my scalp was itchy for 3 days before all the residue finally came out of my hair. When I used the hennaforhair product, it rinsed out much better and there was no itch.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file