Got a BUNCH of samples! Play along with me, will you??

justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I would LOVE to know if you have tried any of these and if you use, how you use, please.

Boots
Pink Curl Creme-I used this morning and I have to say that it gave me really good curl definition. I liked the slip when I added it to soaking wet hair. I just "refreshed" my curls with a dot of this emulsfied with some water and I have some ringlets. Certainly one use is not enough to judge but this stuff looks promising!

CJ
Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner
New BC Strengthening Conditioner
Curl Queen Gel-I admit to already wondering about this. It feels slick and silky on my hands and really moisturizing. No grab and my hair needs grab, not moisture. I'll reserve judgement until I try.
Something labeled B&H. Perhaps Banana Hibiscus leave in?? Smells like bubble gum to me. Thick and pearlized beige colored.

Kinky Curly
CC-Tried a dab of this on dry hair last night (tried Boots Pink on the other side) and it relaxed my waves like nothing I have seen. Again, I'll reserve judgement until I use but really, this aloe thing is becoming too much of a consistent thing to not be able to claim ingredients alone make a difference!

NT-NO idea how on when to use this.

Some of these are small samples and some are really nice sized samples. Those that are larger and do not work will likely be packaged up as a pay it forward gift!

Would REALLY welcome your feedback!! Thank you-as always!
I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
Condition: DevaCurl OC
LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM

Comments

• curlyserfcurlyserf Posts: 858Registered Users
    I have a confession to make, my fellow plastic floozie. Forgive me, but I have only used BRHG once since I got my bottle of CJ Curl Queen. :shock: I haven't even opened my big 34 oz. bottle! I amy be offering it up to you soon. I'm finding that my hair loves moisture. I also started adding a few drops of agave nectar to the CQ and it's great. Now I just need to get more SS CEJ. My sample is almost gone.

Have fun playing!

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    curlyserf wrote: »
    I have a confession to make, my fellow plastic floozie. Forgive me, but I have only used BRHG once since I got my bottle of CJ Curl Queen. :shock: I haven't even opened my big 34 oz. bottle! I amy be offering it up to you soon. I'm finding that my hair loves moisture. I also started adding a few drops of agave nectar to the CQ and it's great. Now I just need to get more SS CEJ. My sample is almost gone.

Have fun playing!

WHAT??? Moisture?? I feel so alone now.

Hey-I saw a line in mamacita's sig that reminded me of me-it said, "I'll continue being a PJ until I find my HGs". That is my story. Just a wavy girl trying to find some products that work!
    CG since 7/1/2010

• asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'll play! I've tried a few of your samples but our hair is pretty different.

CJ Daily Fix-hated it. I had a hard time getting the hang of using it and I think it made my hair limp and waves non existent.

CJ Curl Queen-this one I'm not sure about yet! Can't use it alone, can't use it as a jelly, can't use it with some stuff. Used it on top of Darcy's coiling jelly with so so results. Will probably end up selling it in the end cuz it's not the best hold for me.

CJ B&H-Only was ok for me. My hair can't handle a lot of protein so I sold it mostly because I had other conditioners I liked better. Used it as a rinse out.

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]-Used it at the very beginning of my CG journey over a year ago. Didn't do too much for my hair if I remember correctly but I also wasn't a major PJ then! I like Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic which some say is a copy of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and really gives good clumpage and hold.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

Thank you! Your hair has so much more texture than mine that if something flattens yours, I am doomed! haha! I am going to try all of these out (some when I have nowhere to really go!) sort of one by one and see.
    I am guessing that much of it will become a goodie box for someone else!
    I am not at all a high maintenence person so I cannot explain this DIVA hair of mine!!
    CG since 7/1/2010

• plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    I'll play!

I just got a sample of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] from sbudsky today. I plan to try it tomorrow when I wash next, though I'm not sure how much I need to use or how I should apply it yet.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    My turn, my turn!!!

Never used boots. LOL.

DF....this can take a learning curve. I put a dollop all over like I would a conditioner, then add more water and scrub. When I do that I get lather!

Strengthening...LOVE the results....HATE the smell. I couldn't take it, it's gone now on the swap board, it gave me huge headaches. It's got good protein, but not quite as much as the CF does. The new PT has more. Though if your hair reacts well to amino acid proteins you'll find this one stronger than the CF.

CQ...this is meant to be a finishing gel, like BRHG. That's the only way it works for me, but it's better than BRHG for that. It's put away now though....I won't need it again till summer. My jelly products have enough hold on their own now.

The B and H is the Hibiscus banana LI or the Hibiscus banana DT. They both smell like that, you may want to check which one it is. If it's the LI, use just a dollop. If it's the DT you'll be WOWED by it...I use it often as a regular RO and as a DT. It has both protein and moisture in it. It has a special place in my heart....it was my first CJ Product!

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] doesn't work for me it takes my hair way too long to dry but my hair loves the agave nectar in it.

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] is used as a LI prior to applying the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] but it's not that moisturizing in my hair either. Smells good though.
    I would LOVE to know if you have tried any of these and if you use, how you use, please.

Boots
    Pink Curl Creme-I used this morning and I have to say that it gave me really good curl definition. I liked the slip when I added it to soaking wet hair. I just "refreshed" my curls with a dot of this emulsfied with some water and I have some ringlets. Certainly one use is not enough to judge but this stuff looks promising!

CJ
    Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner
    New BC Strengthening Conditioner
    Curl Queen Gel-I admit to already wondering about this. It feels slick and silky on my hands and really moisturizing. No grab and my hair needs grab, not moisture. I'll reserve judgement until I try.
    Something labeled B&H. Perhaps Banana Hibiscus leave in?? Smells like bubble gum to me. Thick and pearlized beige colored.

Kinky Curly
    CC-Tried a dab of this on dry hair last night (tried Boots Pink on the other side) and it relaxed my waves like nothing I have seen. Again, I'll reserve judgement until I use but really, this aloe thing is becoming too much of a consistent thing to not be able to claim ingredients alone make a difference!

NT-NO idea how on when to use this.

Some of these are small samples and some are really nice sized samples. Those that are larger and do not work will likely be packaged up as a pay it forward gift!

Would REALLY welcome your feedback!! Thank you-as always!
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Okay. So it looks like I have some winners and some not so much.

The KC stuff seems like not so much. TOO moisturizing for my fine hair.

The B+H is the deep conditioner Rymorg! I plan to save this and do after I color next. Sounds like I will LOVE it.

Still getting good results with the Boots Pink.

Glad I read your note on CQ. I used this morning and while too early to rate-WOW! What I did was apply some lightly after I misted my hair (which meant that it went on top of everything else that I put on it yesterday) and diffused and my waves really sprang up!
    I cannot express how much my hair loves PVP and polyquats. It is really cold here today and we have heat on. My hair does not seem to notice the aloe much!

Tonight I will try the Strengthening Conditioner. The only one that I will have not tried is the Cleansing Conditioner (and the DT).

Thanks everyone for the tips and comments. You helped and shared in my sample excitement!!
    CG since 7/1/2010

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Let me know what you think of it!!! :D
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    I'm not sure what I want to cleanse and condition with when I use the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. I kinda feel like a clarifying wash, a sulfate one, but with a heavier protein condish...I tend to do ok when I use a Lush poo and condish with a PT. My hair's been feeling a bit overly soft and droopy in spots. I'm thinking of using a protein mix as a S&C condish, then using Big all over and American Cream as my lighter follow up detangling condish. But not sure. Also not sure if I want to use a leave in or BS CCB with the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink].

BTW, how come my acronyms never show as links?

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• KellycatKellycat Posts: 79Registered Users
    I've been using the CJ Daily Fix for about a week now and for my fine hair, it's TRULY amazing. Night and day to all previous poos and co-washes. I wash daily and use a small amount that I dilute with water in my palm. I have not been following up with conditioner since my hair is pretty slippery after the wash. Every day my hair is getting shinier, less frizzy, and curlier. And the curls are lasting all day (I follow the CJDF with CJ Coco Creme Lite and BSRHG). Honestly, I can't get over it.

Will look forward to hearing how it works for you!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hair type: 2b
    Texture: Fine
    Density: Medium (yet crazy-huge volume)
    Porosity: Normal
    Elasticity: Normal (I think....)
    Oily scalp
    Low-poos: CJ Daily Fix; AO Green Tea Clarifying
    Co-washing: Tresemme Naturals Conditioner
    Conditioner: As needed
    Styling: FSG; KCCC (winter favorite); CJ Curl Fix; CJ Coffee Coco Curl Cream Lite; BSRHG (a MUST)

Current obsession: Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Conditioner

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I want to weigh in of CJ CQ: It's itchy. Has good hold and what appears to be impossible crunch really does scrunch out (or at least it did with a LI underneath). All I had was a sample and I think that may be enough because I'm not wild about the scent -- but it is a good product. Good and plastic-y. Not as glue-like as BRHG and yet it seems to have equivalent hold.

And KCNT: I can't say anything of the brand itself, I've never tried it. But I made a batch using the same ingredients as part of a swap and the version I made is not too bad as a rinse-out, it provides extreme slip, I mean extreme! It also adds shine and a little extra bounce.
    It is especially great as a leave-in. It defines and adds bounce to waves and curls (I used it under the curl queen). I put it on my hubby as a LI solo (no gel -- not that windy here) and he's looking pretty darn cute.

If theirs is like mine (I used their ingredients, not their formula) I'd say try it, like, yesterday! You don't need very much, just squish it into your hair after you squeeze the rinse water out with your hands and before squeezing out water with a t-shirt.
    So, you use the KCNT as a leave in or curl cream?
    CG since 7/1/2010

So, the CJCQ is itchy for you?? I am allergic to so many skin care and body care things. I cannot use a gel that may sometimes make me itchy!! Wonder if it is the fragrance or one of the preservatives (both get to me). I still have plenty in my sample. I will try again before I buy.

The gel that me new stylist used yesterday was FABULOUS! Just enough crunch and a hold that was not wet looking! I ordered it since they were out at the salon. It is Pravana Curl Contour Gel. Got a 10 oz. bottle for $11.99 @ sleekhair and I found a code for free ship!
    CG since 7/1/2010

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My knock-off KCNT (I have no idea if it's like the real thing) has slippery elm in it. I have used slippery elm alone and it was very itchy. I kept this off my scalp because of that.

CJCQ I am guessing it's the wheat protein/wheat starch that causes the itch. Or something else. The form of urea in there has made my skin burn when applied directly. But that is MUCH different than "itch." I didn't get that at all.

I guess there is not a difference between a curl cream and leave in to me. Perhaps this is something I need to learn about.

I would probably apply both in the same manner -- squishing them into wet hair to get them spread around well. On spouse I sprayed his hair with water and applied it by combing through hair with my fingers and then tousling it. (Hee hee)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file