Help! DCs for hair that dislikes oils

EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Disclosure: My curls are on the looser end of 3b, but you ladies seem pretty knowledgeable about this stuff.

I'm living in a pretty arid climate, and my hair really doesn't like it. I've tried using coconut oil, but it weighs down my hair too much, even when applied sparingly. So, I'm looking for a deep-conditioning ingredient to use by itself, or mixed in with a heavy conditioner.

My hair is slightly coarse, of moderate thickness, and on the porous side. I'd like to keep the cost low, and I don't want to use food ingredients like avocado or mayonnaise. I avoid cones, sulfates, mineral oil, and petrolatum.

TIA!

Comments

• *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    E,

Are you sure that your hair dislikes oils or does it dislike Coconut Oil ? I ask because Coconut oil doesn't work for me either in the conventional way. I use it for a specific purpose occassionally and wash it out. But other oils used in the right proportion work fine for me.

Anyway... I wonder if Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition would work for you as it does for me ? I'm a CG'er so it doesn't have any of the stuff you mentioned. And it's sort of thick in my opinion. It does contain shea, avocado, and olive oil. But it doesn't leave the hair greasy, it does leave the hair moisturized and pretty soft.

It can be used as a deep treatment by simply leaving it on longer with a plastic cap OR sitting under a hooded dryer. It conditions my hair very very well. And I do have hair that is prone to dryness, it's thick, and porous. But you'd never know because the GFTN works like a charm.

The price point starts around $3.00 at any drugstore. I get mine from the Dollar General where they are always 3 bucks and I buy like 8 at one time.

Here's a NC.com link with reviews and stuff on it:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=78966
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Are you sure that your hair dislikes oils or does it dislike Coconut Oil ? I ask because Coconut oil doesn't work for me either in the conventional way.
    Thanks. I guess the issue is that coconut oil is too heavy when I mix it with a conditioner. But it's okay as an ingredient in something else.

Right now I'm using AOHR as my conditioner, but I need something that's somewhat heavier. It seems like the easiest thing to do is to mix something in with the AOHR, but I'd be open to a totally different conditioner if the price is $1 per fl oz or less.
    Good grief E,

I thought AOHR was already pretty darn heavy, LOL!

Why exactly do you need something even heavier than AOHR if I may ask ? And I wonder if mixing in a bit of castor or olive oil would help in order to seal your hair a bit while it's wet to retain moisture.

I've used the GFTN in all sorts of climates and it works great all the time for me personally. If it's arid..I just use a little more and I've left it in my hair in the past with no problem. Just don't go overkill with it.
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Last winter Mango butter and Cocoa butter saved my life. It was so dry.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
    Why exactly do you need something even heavier than AOHR if I may ask ? And I wonder if mixing in a bit of castor or olive oil would help in order to seal your hair a bit while it's wet to retain moisture.
    I moved from a fairly humid climate to a very dry climate, and my hair has been pretty dry ever since :(
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    E, do you ever lo poo? I ask b/c when I use AOHR, I have to lo poo to get out the oils every 3-4 days; otherwise, the oil builds up and my hair feels like straw. If I shampoo occasionally, it works just fine.

Also, have you ever tried Biolage (or the knock-off at Sally's)? It has a lot less oil in it. Obviously, N. TX is hardly the desert, but it's pretty moisturizing and has a nice, thick consistency similar to AOHR.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Posts: 2,568Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    I moved from a fairly humid climate to a very dry climate, and my hair has been pretty dry ever since :(

wow! That's interesting b/c I'm one of the few type 4s that can't use AOHSR b/c its too heavy. I had top mix mine with AO gel....anywhho...was the coconut oil food grade, organic? I'm asking b/c the one you buy in the health and beauty section is quite different. I thought CO was like lard until I took my butt over to food aisle at Whole Foods. Also, have you tried avocado butter? If you get a nice grade of it, that might just do the trick...I had some from TNS that was a nice texture but you can get it cheaper...
    comic-p.jpg
    Eilonwy wrote: »

Yikes. I think you should try the Garnier. It's cheap, it's at every drugstore and Walmart known to mankind, while it's not super heavy, it is filled with emollients and if you leave some in that could help.
    was the coconut oil food grade, organic? I'm asking b/c the one you buy in the health and beauty section is quite different.
    Yup, it's organic, food grade, and from the Health section.

Today I mixed about a teaspoon of coconut oil with a full pump of Alaffia Everyday Shea Conditioner. I really love how my hair turned out! I was finally able to distribute a small amount of oil evenly, instead of having to use a lot of oil. And Everyday Shea is a great deal. It usually retails at $14 for 32 oz. Plus, the coconut oil mixes well with it.

But I still welcome suggestions :)
    And yes, Marah, I will try the Garnier when I get the chance :lol: I'm surrounded by Whole Foods-type stores, so I don't stop by the "regular" grocery store too often. But it's on my list!
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Posts: 2,568Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Cool! Sounds like you got a winner! Since you're surrounded by health food stores, have you tried Giovanni's Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor? WF's doesn't have the best price, but if you have competing stores nearby, you should be able to get a good deal. Idk if that would be thick enough for you? But its a really nice condish. Used to be my HG.
    comic-p.jpg
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    I want to add that I put olive oil in my regular old Suave Coconut when I want to DC. It works so nice. My hair loves EVOO but doesn't really like CO. Maybe you can try it. I have coarse hair too that it medium porosity.

I was using EVOO in my hair before I went CG and it was the only thing that was adding moisture to my hair back then.

I thought you were in so cal so we might be dealing with similar weather. DC'ed this last weekend with the EVOO and my hair made it great through the 15 dew point this week.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file