Does anybody else have problems with raking LI or gel in hair?

ththdththd Posts: 306Registered Users Curl Novice
I raked in my GVPCB (tiny bit) as LI while soaking wet, raked in Abba Pure Gel, wrapped up hair (I can't plop) then air dried for about 15 minutes, and diffused. My hair looked "wet" even though it was dry. It was super crunchy and I can never "scrunch out the crunch"...it either gets frizzy from it or it just stays looking wet. What else can I do? If I put the gel on after hair has been wrapped and is damp it doesn't crunch but the curls just don't form very well. I am at a loss. I thought raking was supposed to help definition or clumping?? HELP!!!???:-?
Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
Giovanni weightless leave-in
My hair hates Shea Moisture products 
Plopping makes my curls weird ;) 
I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density

Comments

• ruchipuchiruchipuchi Posts: 149Registered Users
    Have you tried scrunching out the crunch with a product? I've been using Jane Carter Nourish and Shine and I really like it. But before that i was using the curl creme I had already put in my hair or sometimes even a tiny dab of conditioner.
    ththd wrote: »
    I raked in my GVPCB (tiny bit) as LI while soaking wet, raked in Abba Pure Gel, wrapped up hair (I can't plop) then air dried for about 15 minutes, and diffused. My hair looked "wet" even though it was dry. It was super crunchy and I can never "scrunch out the crunch"...it either gets frizzy from it or it just stays looking wet. What else can I do? If I put the gel on after hair has been wrapped and is damp it doesn't crunch but the curls just don't form very well. I am at a loss. I thought raking was supposed to help definition or clumping?? HELP!!!???:-?
    Fia: 2c/Coarse/ii, low-normal elasticity, low porosity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    RO/LI: GFTN, GVPCB
    Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC
    DT/PT: GVPCB, AOHR, Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Yogurt PTs, ION Effective Care
    SOTC: JCN&S

:wav:
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sometimes certain gels or styler combinations give me that wet hair look! I can't rake in my products because my wave pattern is weak and that pretty much rakes out my waves!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I can't rake either, for the same reason...I want enhancement, not elongation. So I don't rake. I scrunch in my product. I also second the using a product to SOTC but it can take some searching to find the right one for you.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ththdththd Posts: 306Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thank you guys! I haven't tried it with a product...too afraid to make it worse I guess. I will have to try it though since you all say it helps!!!:toothy8: I noticed the raking stretches out my waves/curls also. I have only raked a few times since this was always my results so I think I will stop doing it...period. I hate that I have 2 different hair types on my head because the top likes one thing but the underneath likes something else. The underneath doesn't get crunchy just the top :-(
    Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
    Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
    Giovanni weightless leave-in
    My hair hates Shea Moisture products 
    Plopping makes my curls weird ;) 
    I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
    Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I do rake, well usually comb in, the conditioner and curl cream, but only with hair very wet and after that I scrunch it and it bounces back.

This is the long version:

Rinse hair upside down with cold water from faucet till very wet, comb through about 2-3T of conditioner to leave-in, and 3 pumps of curl cream (maybe 1T?).

Squeeze and shake hair and, if necessary, smooth or separate individual clumps (see note). (still upside down) giving the conditioner & curl cream time to soak in. Adding a handful of water if needed, or more condish, whatever it feels like it needs. OK to scrunch lightly now to get some of the water out.

Then with hair still pretty darn wet, 2 pumps of gel into the top hair, 2 pumps for each side, squelching well to try to distribute it. This gets a lot of the water out.

Then scrunch and squeeze it with a t-shirt, getting a bunch more water out, loosely plop while getting dressed/made up, then let it down and observe & arrange the front, often but not always smoothing a little more gel over the top layer and/or scrunching a little bit more in.

So I leave a heck of a lot of stuff in my hair and it looks better.

(note) when I say smooth individual clumps, I mean I feel through my hair, and if it seems like it's frizzy already and falling apart, or alternatively if it feels like it's a few big clumps, I add this step:

Feel through the hair with fingers coated with conditioner or curl cream. Hair should be Very Wet. Smooth individual clumps away from your head. Don't bother trying to get ALL the clumps and do not worry about twisting or forcing curl into them, just quickly smooth some of them so they are more separated and defined.

Also, you should see your hair improve as it grows in, if you've fried it the length will be damaged and it won't necessarily "heal" because it's dead but careful handling and lots of condish will help and the new growth will be healthy.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • CurlykeyCurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users Curl Novice
    I had been using my denman brush to distribute my products but that seemed to give me really small clumps, not quite what I wanted. I never really had success with just scrunching in products since my hair is real long and it seemed like the product(s) never got distributed evenly. Lately I've been raking in with my fingers, after doing the icequeen method, and this works fantastic. I pixie diffuse and that helps my curls not look "stretched" out. I might try scrunching in product in sections and see if that works better.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I need more even product coverage than either raking OR just scrunching gives me. I always comb product thru - always have - after which I now rewet (a la Super Soaker method) and then scrunch to get it curling again, applying a bit more gel of some kind - usually SSFHG - a few minutes into diffusing (a la Smasters method).

Consistently works well for me.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    auntnett wrote: »
    I need more even product coverage than either raking OR just scrunching gives me. I always comb product thru - always have - after which I now rewet (a la Super Soaker method) and then scrunch to get it curling again, applying a bit more gel of some kind - usually SSFHG - a few minutes into diffusing (a la Smasters method).

Consistently works well for me.

I do this. If I rake through, and I see it looking stringy, then I scrunch more water in to reform clumps. I've been known to double super soak...once after adding curl enhancers before plopping and once after adding gel and 2nd plop.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• ruchipuchiruchipuchi Posts: 149Registered Users
    I tried something new after being frustrated with my hair for the past few weeks. Before, I was doing something like a modified skip curl in my soaking wet hair, but I would either get thick sausage-like ringlets that tangled up to look like dreadlocks or tiny worm-like ultra tight spirals (I looked like Medusa!). I finally gave up on that method, but I tried the "scrunch and pump" method today. . I rake my leave-in (and curl creme sometimes) and brush through with a Denman. Then I do the super soaker method. Then I scrunch in gel. Instead of scrunching and letting go, I hold the scrunch and "pump" it a few more times. It really enchanced my wave pattern and helped it set, and I got great clumping. I gently scrunched out the water with an MF towel, then a flour sack towel and let the rest air dry. 10 hours later, I still have no frizz, the clumps haven't broken up, and the curl hasn't loosened and gotten any less defined.

Also, Robin, you have the same exact hair type I do! What kind of products are you using?
    Fia: 2c/Coarse/ii, low-normal elasticity, low porosity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    RO/LI: GFTN, GVPCB
    Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC
    DT/PT: GVPCB, AOHR, Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Yogurt PTs, ION Effective Care
    SOTC: JCN&S

:wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file