HELP

Nikki2u92Nikki2u92 Posts: 12Registered Users
I need serious help, when it comes to hair that is. This month has made it 2 years since i've been natural and I still have no clue what products I should be using.It seems like everytime I try a new product it works just for that hr or so and it gets back to its thirsty self. I really don't want to have to order products online. If I could get some suggestions that would be really help. Please affordable products because I am on a budget (college is no joke).

Also if anyone could explain to me why my hair doesnt really absorb water. When i wash my hair the only time my hair is wet is when its under the faucet.
Curl Pattern: 3c/4a
Hair Length: 8 in.
Goal Length: 12 in. by Jan 31, 2010
Shampoo: Garnier Fructis- Triple Nutrition
Coniditioner: Herbal Essences- Hydralicious, Reconditioning Conditioner
Deep Conditioner: Hollywood Beauty- Carrot Cholesterol

Comments

• 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    The reason for non-absorption could be several things, including, but not limited to:
    1. Your hair could have low porosity, so it will not absorb water easily. Do you give it enough water from the INSIDE?
    2. You could have a lot of buildup from styling products.
    3. You could have high porosity (you mentioned your hair being thirsty) hair which gets wet easily but does not keep hold of moisture.

There are threads about each of these items in this forum. I can't possibly give you as much information here as there is in those places.

Give us some more info: do you color your hair? What products do you use regularly?
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • Nikki2u92Nikki2u92 Posts: 12Registered Users
    I wash my hair mostly 2-3 times a week. I try not to use to much products in my hair but maybe what I am using is to thick. My hair does get wet easily but it dries just as fast. Thank you, I will go take a look at those forums.

sagehen wrote: »
    The reason for non-absorption could be several things, including, but not limited to:
    1. Your hair could have low porosity, so it will not absorb water easily. Do you give it enough water from the INSIDE?
    2. You could have a lot of buildup from styling products.
    3. You could have high porosity (you mentioned your hair being thirsty) hair which gets wet easily but does not keep hold of moisture.

There are threads about each of these items in this forum. I can't possibly give you as much information here as there is in those places.

Give us some more info: do you color your hair? What products do you use regularly?
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What products are you currently using? Remember, butters and oils don't really moisturize, just seal. Look for water based moisturizers if your hair is thirsty.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    I use Oraganic Root Stimulator- Olive Oil aloe shampoo and replenishing conditioner for regular wash and conditions. For co- washes, I use VO5 moisturizing conditioner. As a leave in, I use Cantu shea butter. That's just about all I use on my hair and maybe if I dont wash my hair I'll use pink moisturizer.

There are some other products that I've done some research on and considering using. I was thinking about trying black soap as a shampoo because I've been hearing good things about it. What are your thoughts on that?

ellepixie wrote: »
    What products are you currently using? Remember, butters and oils don't really moisturize, just seal. Look for water based moisturizers if your hair is thirsty.
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Nikki2u92 wrote: »
    I use Oraganic Root Stimulator- Olive Oil aloe shampoo and replenishing conditioner for regular wash and conditions. For co- washes, I use VO5 moisturizing conditioner. As a leave in, I use Cantu shea butter. That's just about all I use on my hair and maybe if I dont wash my hair I'll use pink moisturizer.

There are some other products that I've done some research on and considering using. I was thinking about trying black soap as a shampoo because I've been hearing good things about it. What are your thoughts on that?

I say this with love. Throw the Pink Moisturizer AWAY. Do it today. I haven't used ORS, but I use VO5 for cowashes all the time - however, you may want to get some honey and EVOO to add to it to make it more moisturizing. Cantu is okay for me, but I try to not use it too much, and I know some women have said it's drying to hair. Have you tried Tresemme Naturals condish? Many have liked leaving that it. Also, the Shea Moisture line from Target is good - do they sell it by you?
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    I have never tried the Tresemme Naturals , but I would be willing to try it. I'm not sure if they have the shea moisture products around here buti can check or stop by Target. And i will stop using the Pink Moisturizer, I actually just started using it again but I'll stop.

Also what are your thoughts on Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner?

I say this with love. Throw the Pink Moisturizer AWAY. Do it today. I haven't used ORS, but I use VO5 for cowashes all the time - however, you may want to get some honey and EVOO to add to it to make it more moisturizing. Cantu is okay for me, but I try to not use it too much, and I know some women have said it's drying to hair. Have you tried Tresemme Naturals condish? Many have liked leaving that it. Also, the Shea Moisture line from Target is good - do they sell it by you?[/quote]
    I like the Garnier Triple Nutrition as a cowash, if you do that. I did not get enough slip for use as a rinseout condish. Marah can tell you more about using this - she says it is one of her faves. I can tell uyou it will make a difference switching to that insteead of the VO5 to co-wash. That never did enough for moisture for me, and I see several women here complaining that the VO5 doesn't moisturize enough.

I co-sign with EllePixie on the Tresemme Naturals. I am a recent convert (the moisturizing one). I like it as a rinse-out because it detangles so well. It rivals Yes to Cucumbers but YTC has better ingreds.

Lastly, I am not sure, but doesn't the ORS combo you use to wash and condition have silicones? I am not anti-silicone per se, but I have noticed that since I have stopped using them in my shampoo and conditioner I have been able to get more moisture to my hair. It's just something to try.

OK REALLY lastly, black soap is a GREAT idea to try and there are places you can get it relatively inexpensively. I rotate Dr. Wood's Shea Vision Black Soap with my other poo's and have good results. I also use a black soap bar when I am not too lazy.
    4a/3c curls
    Team Wash and Go!
  • DeeJayDeeJay Posts: 53Registered Users
    Hmm, Idk if I can help, but ORS shampoo was too harsh on my hair, leaving it brittle and I just found out that it was heavy on sulfates. The conditioner's okay, but ORS Olive Oil hair lotion is very moisturizing. I agree with another poster, you should leave the pink lotion. I'd definitely switch out the pink moisturizer (which I think is really drying) for the ORS Olive Oil.

VO5 is a great conditioner, but that Cantu shea butter might be another drying factor. It might be all the cones that are in it. I mean, Cantu's okaaayy- it moisturizes great temporarily- but that could be a little drying too. Idk. I'm still trying to find a quality butter moisturizer. Oh, and a really good conditioner is Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Condish. HTH:toothy7:
    Last Relaxer- July 10th, 2009
    Status- 2 years and a few months fully natural.
    Hair description- coily
    My Staple- Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition condish (trying to change it), and only the shampoo of Organix. My next goal is past shoulder length and I'm on my way with dedication, and the support and help of NC.com:happy2:
    Thank you ladies. I will definitely get the Black soap. There's a african- west indian shop close by, so i'll stop by there first to see if the carry it because im not much of an online shopper. Umm, also i will stop by walgreens to see if they have the tresemme naturals, I know they have the garnier though.

I really need some styling products, my cantu is almost finish and I don't think I will be re- purchasing.
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have similar issues with low porosity. I found doing a warm rinse for at least four minutes before any shampoo or cowashing to make a really big difference for me. It opens the cuticle to accept the moisture better. I say try to go at least two months without mineral oil, non-water soluble cones and sulfate shampoos and see how your hair reacts. This has made a world of difference in my hair.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
    Thank you. I will definitely try it.

adthomas wrote: »
    I have similar issues with low porosity. I found doing a warm rinse for at least four minutes before any shampoo or cowashing to make a really big difference for me. It opens the cuticle to accept the moisture better. I say try to go at least two months without mineral oil, non-water soluble cones and sulfate shampoos and see how your hair reacts. This has made a world of difference in my hair.
  • A_Klass_ActA_Klass_Act Posts: 56Registered Users
    Also, be careful with the amount of protein you're using. Both ORS replenishing conditioner and Cantu have hydrolyzed collagen in them, which can be drying to some.

I tried ORS once before and my hair hated me for a week...

So all in all -- your shampoo use, combined with your silicone-laden and protein conditioners AND mineral oil in Pink Lotion can wreck havoc on your hair.

Try to go without them for a week or two and see if it makes a difference!

HTH!
    Hair properties: Low porosity/fine strands Poo: CJDF, SM Moisture Retention RO Condish: Tresemme Naturals Deep Condish: JCWDT, CJHBDF LI: CJSL Moisturizer/Styler: Curls Souffle, KCCC Extras: Cassia, Bentonite & Rhassoul Clay, Shea butter mix, Cocoa butter mix, Castor oil
    O thank you so much. I have noticed that my hair is protein sensitive. I didn't know that ORS had protein though. I'm going to stop using them immediately.

NikiD1908 wrote: »
    Also, be careful with the amount of protein you're using. Both ORS replenishing conditioner and Cantu have hydrolyzed collagen in them, which can be drying to some.

I tried ORS once before and my hair hated me for a week...

So all in all -- your shampoo use, combined with your silicone-laden and protein conditioners AND mineral oil in Pink Lotion can wreck havoc on your hair.

Try to go without them for a week or two and see if it makes a difference!

HTH!
  • E.B.E.B. Posts: 158Registered Users
    I agree with the above that the problem could be your hair's porosity or it could be product buildup.

This is from http://www.kisforkinky.com/2010/10/constantly-dry-hair-and-porosity-what-you-need-to-know/:
    constantly dry hair and high porosity: what you need to know

are you a constant moisturizer seeker? someone on the hunt for that perfect combo of products that will leave your kinks or curls or a combination thereof moisturized throughout the day? do find that no matter what you do to your hair that it’s always DRY? does your hair seem to soak in moisture but never ends up when it’s all said and done, moisturized? if so, you may have very porous hair. but don’t worry, it’s manageable and you can see dramatic improvements in your hair by adding a few steps to your routine.

hair porosity refers to your hair’s ability, or inability, to absorb water or chemicals deep into the cortex. too much porosity reduces the hair’s ability to retain moisture or fight breakage. symptoms of porous hair is hair that is bone dry no matter how much you deep condition or moisturize or even wash. if your hair is porous it has no elasticity and won’t hold a curl.

porosity is determined by the condition of the hair’s cuticle layer and how your cuticles respond to water or other liquids, and is rated as low, normal, and high.

the porosity of my hair is very high. most black people by default have porous hair. the reason? people of african decent have hair this is naturally porous because the cuticle is open as the hair grows from the scalp whereas other races on average experience porous hair due to chemicals and damage.

porosity-test.jpg

porous hair can absorb a lot of water. on average, normal porosity hair can absorb up to about 30% of its weight in water when soaking wet. however, porous, or very porous hair can absorb up to 40-50% of its weight in water. the more porous the more water your hair can soak up. however, the main problem with porous hair is the constant moisture absorption and moisture loss because there is no balance of moisture in the hair, therefore causing it to be dry and brittle and break.
    There's a whole lot more when you click on the link.
    What if my hair has low porosity?
    E.B. wrote: »
    I agree with the above that the problem could be your hair's porosity or it could be product buildup.

This is from http://www.kisforkinky.com/2010/10/constantly-dry-hair-and-porosity-what-you-need-to-know/:
    constantly dry hair and high porosity: what you need to know

are you a constant moisturizer seeker? someone on the hunt for that perfect combo of products that will leave your kinks or curls or a combination thereof moisturized throughout the day? do find that no matter what you do to your hair that it’s always DRY? does your hair seem to soak in moisture but never ends up when it’s all said and done, moisturized? if so, you may have very porous hair. but don’t worry, it’s manageable and you can see dramatic improvements in your hair by adding a few steps to your routine.

hair porosity refers to your hair’s ability, or inability, to absorb water or chemicals deep into the cortex. too much porosity reduces the hair’s ability to retain moisture or fight breakage. symptoms of porous hair is hair that is bone dry no matter how much you deep condition or moisturize or even wash. if your hair is porous it has no elasticity and won’t hold a curl.

porosity is determined by the condition of the hair’s cuticle layer and how your cuticles respond to water or other liquids, and is rated as low, normal, and high.

the porosity of my hair is very high. most black people by default have porous hair. the reason? people of african decent have hair this is naturally porous because the cuticle is open as the hair grows from the scalp whereas other races on average experience porous hair due to chemicals and damage.

porosity-test.jpg

porous hair can absorb a lot of water. on average, normal porosity hair can absorb up to about 30% of its weight in water when soaking wet. however, porous, or very porous hair can absorb up to 40-50% of its weight in water. the more porous the more water your hair can soak up. however, the main problem with porous hair is the constant moisture absorption and moisture loss because there is no balance of moisture in the hair, therefore causing it to be dry and brittle and break.
    There's a whole lot more when you click on the link.
    If your hair has low porosity, check out the posts from Naturalista or EllePixie in the porosity threads. They have great tips for getting moisture to low-porosity hair.
    4a/3c curls
    Team Wash and Go!
  • DerbyCityNaturalsDerbyCityNaturals Posts: 422Registered Users
    sagehen wrote: »
    If your hair has low porosity, check out the posts from Naturalista or EllePixie in the porosity threads. They have great tips for getting moisture to low-porosity hair.

+1 on Elle and low porosity. Check out her blog too. Elle is a PJ so she tries a lot of products and gives accurate (and comical) reviews.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file